Pages

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Flatirons Community Church: "Let's Not Even Bother PRETENDING We're Genuine Christians Any More"

 A friend who's a musician sent this video to me. He was impressed by the craftsmanship and he's a Christian, yes. I was APPALLED... and I don't say that lightly. 

Here we see a church band performing instead of even pretending to worship God. And what song do they choose? Here's a portion of the lyrics:

"For a smile they can share the night
It goes on and on, and on, and on..."

Wow. Just WOW. I guess we've tossed out the issue of 'fornication' in this church. Hey, man, it's cool. Do what you want as long as you attend church once a week and throw money at us.

I know the tiny protestant church I attend can be seen as stuffy by some. Will I always stay in it? Quite possibly, because this is usually the alternative. How sad that the serious services these days can only be found in the orthodox churches, where the message is also lost amongst all the pomp and circumstance.

The problem here is the repeated attempt to turn the churches into bad versions of rock concerts and entertainment forums. The older I get the more repulsed I am by how most churches have deliberately focused away from the inconvenient message of the Bible and instead do what they feel will bring in the masses and the cash. This really took fire with Rick Warren's urgings to turn churches into money-making conglomerates.

With Flatirons Community Church, each sermon online has a "setlist" that accompanies it and there's often a really questionable piece in that setlist. One sermon had a cover of Linkin Park's Heavy, which includes the lyrics:

"It’s not like I make the choice
To let my mind stay so fucking messy..."

It may be that when they sang that number, they changed "fucking" to "fricking". Whoopteedo. If you know that song, you already know the real lyrics.

Now I'm sure the church leaders would protest that they believe in God. But that's simply not enough. 

"You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder," [James 2:19] which can (again inconveniently) can be found in the Bible that they apparently rarely read unless they're slapping together a quick sermon.

"Therefore, come out from among unbelievers, and separate yourselves from them, says the LORD. Don't touch their filthy things, and I will welcome you." [2 Cor. 6:17]. 

Although we're IN this world, we are to avoid licentious behaviors. Have I been guilty of that? Absolutely! But shouldn't church be the model of Christian behavior rather than a model of pagan behavior? Yes, a Christian can go to a club (in my humble opinion) but should they? And if they go to a club on Friday night, do they really need their church to be just another club scene on a Sunday, too? 

I'm sure the church leaders console themselves by saying "Well, we DO preach out of the Bible and tell people to follow along in theirs." But I would caution them with the story of Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5.

Of course Flatirons isn't the only church that's falling by the wayside, but someday they'll be held accountable for it. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes on Judgement Day.

“Two things only the people anxiously desire — bread and circuses.” - Juvenal 


0 comments: