Pages

Friday, August 25, 2017

How You Live Is...

I once worked for an exceedingly toxic workplace. 

 Some of you are survivors and we'll have a bond that will always be there as a result of it. 

 What was funny is that they are always trying to polish the turd. And despite how terribly they treated their employees, they would always try to say trite management and sales homilies in an attempt to pretend (at least to themselves) otherwise. 

 Our only place of peace was the bathrooms. 

 And then one day, even that peace was shattered when I went into a stall, closed it, and saw a sickly sweet sign that said "How you live is..." well, I forget the rest. Obviously it wasn't very memorable. But it was a polite chastisement - an attempt to follow us even into the place where we dropped our pants to remind us that we were never going to get away from their toxicity.

 I got angry. 

 Really livid. 

 And so I took that sign, took it home, scanned it, and altered it to be a more realistic one that I then taped in EVERY. SINGLE. STALL. 

 After that, no more stupid signs in our stalls. 

 It was a minor victory, but one which I'll always cherish.


0 comments: