Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Senator Bob Graham

I tried posting this yesterday but my computer kept crashing, so my apologies for no posts yesterday. I was too busy to sit in front of the computer forever.

Senator Bob Graham has been in Florida politics for a long time. He is seen as a beloved fixture in the political arena by many. But I happen to know something about him that doesn't rest easy with me.

In 1985/86, when his daughter first entered college at the University of Florida, her grades were so bad that she could only get into college as a minority student. The problem, of course, was that she wasn't a minority. However, that didn't stop Bob Graham. He pulled a few strings and voila! She got in via an illegal (and unethical) way. Now, this was all very hush-hush unless you happened to work for the University of Florida at that time (and even then, this was only 'Need To Know'). Still, there is enough evidence there, and there were enough people that knew this, that I am amazed that Bob Graham has been able to keep it covered up for as long as he has. After all, it seems to be a stunning example of a lack of ethics.

Or, does anyone really care?

P.S. Great job on the story, guys! If you laughed as much as I did over it, it was worth it.

11 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

We care, but we're powerless. So we come to realize that's just what to expect...and keep on electing them. It's sad, really.

michelle said...

So what politition do you know that is ethical

Saur♥Kraut said...

Well, I actually know of one personally that IS ethical, but that's why he didn't stay in politics...

Fred said...

It's not what you know, it's who you know. Politics 101.

Great weekend story. One suggestion. You may want to set up another blog, cut and paste the finished story, then archive them over there. How's about Saur Stories?

michelle said...

Yeah Saur,
I like Fred's idea for your weekend stories.

Lila said...

The weekend stories are very fun -- Fred's idea is a good one.

Yeah, I fear actonbell is right. People with money and/or other kinds of power can get their kids into all sorts of colleges and other good opportunities. Graham's actions are quite disturbing, yet no one is too alarmed 'cause it happens all the time.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Tyrone (Mr. Gator?) ;o) Nope. But the reason they've always had special exceptions for minorities is under the reasoning that minorities have had a tougher time making it, haven't had the advantages that others have had, and therefore the universities were willing to cut them a little slack. But what disadvantages did Bob Graham's daughter have...?

Nope, Wendy and I never met. But I've eaten a lot of her taco salads!

Everyone, OK, I'll put the stories up on a separate blog.

I'm not answering everyone individually tonite cuz I'm exhausted and I'm getting ready for the start of my new business on Monday...

Underground Logician said...

About the story...Why did you dunderheads turn Madison into such a shallow floosie? *LOL

She was a world class attorney for crying out loud! How could she fall for such a shallow creep like Trevor Hammerjaw, and allow her "primordial" desires to sweep her away with Mr. Perfect? Indeed! She's a dope! She's why lawyers make great fodder for jokes. I'm incensed! If I were here brother, I'd lock her up and feed her bread and water! I'd teach her a thing or three. Stupid, ignorant immoral! AHHHHH!

My wife always says I get too emotionally involved. Damn right I do!!! Especially when she was turning into someone I could look up to! AAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGG!

Mr. Gator: A woman of such refinement coughing up a phlegm ball, and finding a convenient french fry wrapper to spit in? Any self-respecting woman wouldn't handle phlegm. She'd spit in the water and see if the fish would eat it! Well, I'm sure women do a LOT of gross things, but I felt like she was doing a total guy thing. Man! I was invading her privacy. It's like catching someone picking their nose while driving on the freeway. Ugh! Let a woman spit phlegm in private, that's what I say. :D

I say: LET'S HAVE DO OVERS!

Anonymous said...

UL, I agree completely regarding the phlegm. I found myself averting my eyes from that passage as I looked to see new posts.

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

The US is a society built on money and having material wealth to succeed. It is a society where money can buy you whatever you want, a college place...the Presidency.

The Lazy Iguana said...

Really now, what is one more freshman to UF? My grades were not fantastic, and I got accepted to UF.

So what if Bob Graham used the power of the schwartz to get his idiot daughter into school. Was it unethical? Probably. But on a scale of 1 to 10, it is not anywhere close to a 10. Legacy students get into schools all the time.

The important thing to note is that his daughter has not tried to run for any office. Unlike some other people who got into office because of their last name.