Pages

Friday, July 03, 2009

My Neurotic Dog

I've written about my neurotic dog, BoBo, before. He's really the Dustin Hoffman of the dog world.

Like most purebred poodles, he's exceedingly smart. Here is a classic pose for him. You can see that he's sure that with a little work he can crack the code to human speech and revolutionize the dog world forever.

Lately he's been out of control. In the last couple of weeks, he's peed on my gorgeous sofa, my bed (I had to throw out my mattress topper and buy a new one), and last night he peed on Sonosaur's bed pillow.

The moment I saw the latest pee attack (or should I say smelled?), I flipped out. "That's IT," I screeched. "I am taking his balls off tomorrow!"

I immediately researched different neutering clinics in the area, determined to be at their door first thing in the morning. However, my dad talked me out of it. "He might have a urinary tract infection, or diabetes," my dad suggested. "Take him to your vet's first."

So I did.

And BoBo's just fine. Well, physically he's fine. But the vet thinks he's experiencing separation anxiety since I'm gone more during the day than I used to be. So, the vet's put him on an anti-anxiety medication which may help in two weeks or more.

In the meantime, I'm going to be doing a lot of steam cleaning.

4 comments:

The Lazy Iguana said...

Start a new dog game show.

Who Wants To Be An Outside Dog.

Or you can get a 12 foot python and let nature sort things out.

Angela said...

Have you ever tried crating him? One of my dogs has some level of separation anxiety and she does much better when crated while I am gone, she relaxes better in her little den.

I find it kind of interesting that your vet went straight to drugs as a solution, I am not much a fan of using anxiety meds on a dog unless other options/training possibilities have been explored.

-Ange

The Lazy Iguana said...

I would keep the drugs for myself, and crate the dog.

EXCELLENT IDEA Ange! You are some kind of genius.

Much better than my giant python idea. Although the python idea would probably work - it would have the wrong intended outcome.

Ed said...

If your first thought it to take his balls off, I'm glad that I only know you via the internet. Are you related to Lorena Bobbit by chance? :)