Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

BoBo

This is my dog, BoBo. It's not the original name in his papers, but BoBo stuck, and BoBo he will forever be. Because he's a purebred poodle (a small standard) I suppose I should spell it BeauxBeaux, but he's not in the least bit pretentious and neither am I.

I did a lot of careful research before I bought him 2 1/2 years ago. (I only wish I could say that concerning the second dog, a small demon-posessed malti-poo. Don't ever buy a malti-poo. Do yourself a favor and buy a large, inbred gerbil first and feed it crack so that you can get an idea about what you're getting into. I am seriously considering getting rid of the malti-poo, and I am crazy about animals. That's how bad she is.)

I had always thought purebred poodles were spazzy and difficult. I was so very wrong. He is extremely smart, knows how to spell, is highly interractive and playful, and very loyal and cuddly. He is truly another child in this family. But he also is neurotic.

One day we were taking the dogs for a walk the day after a road crew had gone through and re-marked the roads in white paint. I live in an urban area, so I'm talking about simple dividing lines, nothing fancy. I had the demonic malti-poo, and SaurKid had BoBo.

Suddenly SaurKid was dragged to a halt. "C'mon," I said, "what's holding you up?"

"BoBo won't move!" he said, surprised.

"Oh, let me try," I said, grabbing the leash and tugging. BoBo was stopped dead and the more I tugged, the more he angled back. Who woulda thought a dog could dig into asphalt like that??? Finally, with SaurKid pushing and me pulling, we were able to get him to move. He jumped up and skittered like an old maid over the new white line.

"Wait a minute," I said, "I think he's scared of the line!"

We tried to get him to walk over it again, and the same thing happened. BoBo had the most amazing hangdog expression this time. We laughed so hard until... we realized the entire road was full of white lines. It was a long walk.

Given time, BoBo finally overcame his fear of white lines. Since then, we've discovered that he's terribly frightened of anything that is normally not in his path. This means that you could place a business card in the hallway, and he wouldn't be able to pass it. When the kitchen was re-tiled, he couldn't step onto the new floor for a week. But now he has a new fear (among others).

BoBo sleeps with me at night (he's a very clean dog), and my bed was always very high off the ground, with drawers underneath it for clothing. We always had the same bedtime routine: I would give him a quick once-over to make sure he was his usual immaculate self, and toss him up on the bed. In the morning, I'd pick him up and place him on the floor so that he could go outside.

We recently overhauled the bedroom and lowered the bed onto a standard mattress frame. Last night was our first night in the lowered bed. I got into bed and patted the covers. "C'mon, BoBo!" I said. BoBo sat there, confused. He had never been able to get up into the tall bed before, and although he now could do so easily, he ran about the bed, looking at it from all angles.

It was quite comical. Here's this dog who could now easily step onto the bed, and he's running about it helplessly.

Finally, after a great deal of encouragement, he clawed his way up the bed just as you'd see a wolf scrabbling up a sheer cliff. Oh brother.

This morning, I got out of bed and called for him to jump down. He looked at me so helplessly that I gave in and lowered him to the ground, as I always have.

We often prevent ourselves from doing the achievable because we have this preconceived notion that it's not obtainable. BoBo is a classic illustration of this.

I wonder how long it will take for him to figure this out.

29 comments:

Ed said...

I think every dog has some neurotic tendancies. My dog could remember every auger and every building on the farm where he had caught a rat in the past but couldn't remember how bad it was to be sprayed by a skunk. My dog wouldn't walk through a mud puddle but would wade through the hog waste lagoon hunting frogs.

You've brought back a lot of fond memories.

SmileDragon said...

I bet it is cute, him running around the bed, completely capable of getting up there, but not knowing it.

Anonymous said...

You need to stop by my place and read about wht my dog did to me the other night. LOL.

Deb said...

DEB'S DIAGNOSIS

The dog's got OCD! ... Seriously. He's like those kids with OCD where----if you step on a crack, you break your mutha's back...! And he won't pass something in his path---he's pathedically clean, and smart??? All signs... You should know this! I'm so impressed with animals who have any sort of mental disorder that I can relate to.

You have a rare breed on your hands!

Adorable too. Ummmm....one question.... He knows how to spell???

Saur♥Kraut said...

Deb, ;o) You're right! This is why counselors don't diagnose their own family, they're too close to the situation. Yup, he can spell! He knows t-r-e-a-t, b-o-b-o, w-a-l-k, and o-u-t.

TSB, how funny that we have such similar entries today!

CrystalSmileDragon, cute as a bug! ;o)

Ed, those are funny! Thanks for sharing them. Nice to know that BoBo isn't the ONLY nut.

poopie said...

BoBo is a cutie pie!

Michael K. Althouse said...

I get the moral of the story. I get it. What a wonderfully way to illustrate, through a dog, that often we are our own worst enemies. FDR said "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

When I get out of the way, ANYTHING is possible.

Great post, great story,

~Mike

dddragon said...

I've seen rescued greyhounds do things like that, but that was understandable considering their previous life experiences.

And our cat Salem is afraid of anything new. Like moving the foot stool to a new place in the room. Life-size resin green garden cats also freak him out.

Ellen said...

What a funny and cute story... I especially love the french version of BoBo's name. All he needs is a little black beret, if he could tolerate headgear.

It is amazing how people are so much like your description of BoBo.
We become old dogs having a hard time with new tricks. As Mike said, it's best when we learn to get out of the way... for then great things happen.

BTW- I am impressed that BoBo can spell! I had a sister-in-law that taught her dog how to "whisper" his barks.

Eddo said...

I had a standard poodle. His name was Jacque - like Custeau. My grandma named him and then gave him to me. He was indeed very smart and I loved to take him places. I don't have him anymore, he either got out of our fence one day or someone stole him. I don't remember any neuroses, but I do remember when we first got him he was an indoor dog, but after being in our large yard with the other dogs he never liked to be indoors for very long.

Brianne said...

BoBo's very cute! How can he spell?

Jenn said...

He looks very cute and cuddly.

Fred said...

How can you find room to sleep in the same bed? It must get awfully crowded sometimes.

Amstaff Mom said...

Poodles are too smart for their own good. My parents have the opposite of your dog in looks. A black teacup poodle. Even SHE can jump up on the bed. And she does. My sister and I have totally been replaced by that dog. She goes everywhere with my parents. Sickening, really.

Jamie Dawn said...

BoBo is such a pretty doggie!
Maybe you should mash up some Valium in his food each day to help him face the terrors of the world.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Fred: That's a great story. I can picture it.

Listen, for more poodle and poodle/schnauzer action, so visit my pal, Schnoodlepooh. Always has cute pix of her poodle and schnoodle:

http://www.birddogblog.blogspot.com

Whistle Britches said...

My cousin raises standard poodles. we visited her last summer and she had a total of 26 puppies. she sold them all within months. we fell in love with them, but yours looks like a better house dog.

Anonymous said...

Great story. Nice message.

We have had a variety of dogs over the years. My son had a beautiful white minature poodle. Not the toy variety, but the next size up. She was white and her name was Snow. She was smart and loving. One of the most relaxed dogs we had. She slept in my sons bed . . . a loft bed. So our ritual was to get her up and down each day. She did her part. She would jump from the ground up into our arms at waist level. Such a wonderful dog. We miss her.

Dave said...

Saur,

BoBo is cool looking. I have 2 Goldens, Timex and Rolex, they're pretty good watch dogs.

michelle said...

We had a poodle when I was younger. Best dog we ever had!

Lee Ann said...

Oh that is the truth We often prevent ourselves from doing the achievable because we have this preconceived notion that it's not obtainable.
I loved this. I laughed so hard, I nearly cried. Poor BoBo...hope it isn't too long before he figures it out :)

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! BoBo will figure it out. Standard Poodles are supposedly among the smartest breeds (or so I hear, being much more of a cat person than a dog person).

You are right with your concluding message, too. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

Bar L. said...

I have a "friend" named Tasha who is also a white Standard. I stay with her when her mom goes out of town. She is so smart, and so sweet....at first my teenage son was embarrassed to be seen with her because she is fru-fru, but then he got to know her - she rocks.

Sounds like BoBo rocks too!

I have a neruotic Rat Terrier and a very mellow Border Collie/Cattle Dog mix.

Live, Love, Laugh said...

I hsve two pomeranians that think they are Pit Bulls. One of them is named Skunk and he looks just like one and the other one is Precious and she is apricot colored.

They love the outdoors, but when I come home in the morning, they want to come in and I rock them to sleep in the recliner, then they wake up and want to go back out for awhile.

Where do these dogs come from that think they are people??

Bryan said...

Cute dog. I've always heard that they are supposed to be really smart.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

I once had an obsessive compulsive student who was exactly like that. At the begining of class he would come to the door, but he couldn't get through it unless someone (usually me, but other students helped him too) took him by the hand and pulled him through the door. THe same was true at the end of class. One time they retiled the hall of the building, and I found him at the main door totally confused. I had to lead him to class, then back to the door three or four times that morning before he could make it by himself. He and Bobo would have been soul mates. (By the way, my student was an excellent student though he confessed to locking his front door at least seven times before he could leave the house. Have you tried Bobo on locks?)

Notsocranky Yankee said...

We have a pharoah hound named Sally who makes us laugh too. One time we moved her kennel (her bed) to a different corner of the room. We told her to go to her kennel and she ran to the old location and spun in circles, very confused. Her kennel was just 10 feet away and she couldn't find it! We laughed and laughed and yes, told her to go to her kennel a few more times just for fun!

The Zombieslayer said...

Weird thing about poodles is they used to be big. I think we have the French to blame for shrinking them.

Bryan said...

Thanks for stopping by 'Bryan's Space' tonight.

I started another blog today. This blog will have some heavy duty stuff on it.

Stop by sometime: http://hard-truths.blogspot.com/