Pages

Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Bad Mother

Yes, Virginia, there are bad mothers.

I took my ex-boyfriend's 11 year old daughter ("Bugs") to the nail salon with me last night. I can take her with me everywhere, because she is the most perfectly behaved, ladylike young woman I've ever met in my life. I've helped to tweak it over the years (her mother is completely uninterested in her as a person so she never interracts with her much). But Bugs is largely responsible for this herself.

She's an incredible child who made up her mind at age 5 about what she wanted to be, and has never looked back. I'll write more about her at another time. By the way, she's very pretty and the nickname "Bugs" doesn't come from her having buck teeth. People are amazed wherever I take her, and I commonly hear that she looks and acts like a tiny adult. It's not contrived, she simply has a maturity beyond her years.

Anyway, Bugs and I were at the nail salon getting our nails done and visiting with the owner of the salon (let's call her Lori), who happens to be a friend.

An overweight, unkempt lady with stringy, greasy, badly bleached hair had just had her nails done, and was sitting over at the drying station. She was accompanied by a teenager, a kid who was about 4 years old, and a baby.

I've seen many badly behaved kids in my life, but her 4 year old took the cake (he was a blond, blue-eyed Damien). He was running about in the salon, stopping only to grab anything to destroy it and get attention. Apparently Lori was good and sick of this already because she was past "polite" on the e-meter and on to "f*ck it". Every couple of seconds she'd scream "Damien! No!" and his mother would look up and say crossly "Now Damien! Stop it!"

Finally when Damien tried to topple a column, Lori had enough. "YOU! Get outside now!" she demanded. The mother looked confused for a moment. Lori stomped over to her. "Now!" she hollered, as nasty as Lindsey Lohan. "I want him out now!"

"Uh, OK," said the mother, and instructed the teenager to take Damien outside.

Lori sat back down to doing my nails, muttering and twitching. "I can't believe it! This kid is outta control!" she exclaimed. Bugs was wide-eyed.

"You did the right thing," I said. "If the kid had injured himself, you would've been sued over it."

The mother finished drying her nails and came up to the front to pay. She looked about her hesitantly and her eyes latched onto me. Why, oh why am I always the person that people suddenly feel compelled to speak with? It's served me well when I was more actively counseling people, but it's also a darned nuisance. From the time I was little, my mother has called me "The Trouble Magnet", and with good cause.

"You know, I don't know what to do with him. I've tried everything," she whined.

"Really?" I said. "Like what?"

"She's a counselor," Lori chimed in helpfully. I shot her a look.

"Spanking, yelling, time outs don't work..." the mother trailed off.

"I see you have a pen. Good. Write down this book. It's called Dare to Discipline, by James Dobson. I highly recommend it," I said.*

"Really? Because I've tried everything else..." she said doubtfully as she dutifully wrote it down.

I paused for a moment. "Do you want a piece of free advice?" I asked.

"Sure," she replied.

"Consistency," I said, "plain and simple. You tell Damien to stop, he ignores you. You yell at Damien to stop, he ignores you. When you finally scream at Damien to stop, then he stops. You know why?" She shook her head. "Because Damien has you figured out. He knows that you don't mean what you say. You have to retrain Damien. He has to learn that you can tell him no, once, and that means no. When he disobeys, that's when you punish him immediately. No screaming, no shouting, no extra energy. And you probably need energy for the baby."

"Yeah, the baby's sick. He gets seizures and has to be on medicine," she said. Until now, I hadn't really looked at the baby (I'm not a "baby person". I like them much better as they grow up and develop those interesting minds). He was there, snoozing, having been left exposed in the sunlight throughout her entire nail appointment, apparently.

"Do you realize you've left that baby in the sunlight the entire time?" I asked, incredulously. "That's not good for him!"

She hastily pulled the bonnet up over him but continued, unabashedly. "The doctors have him on klonopin (an anti-seizure medicine) and..." she named something else. "He sleeps 20 hours each day, and we have to intubate him to feed him. He's on the waiting list for physical therapy so that he can learn to swallow and speak eventually."

"How old is he?" I asked. "Seven months," she replied.

"First of all, have you told your doctor that he's sleeping so much?" I asked. She hadn't. "Talk to your doctor. You need to ask him if there's an alternative." I added that although I have a doctorate, I'm not an M.D. so I can't discuss medications. I just felt she needed to do some research on her own and really get to know what she's giving to her baby. But, privately I thought that if klonopin is considered to be very bad for fetuses (which it is), it can't be much better for babies.

"Well, the doctor did say there was an alternative, but he'd have to get approval for it," she admitted.

"Well then, take charge and tell him to get approval," I said. "You want as many options as possible. And this is an even stronger reason to get Damien under control. You need to give the baby more attention."

I went off to another part of the salon to get my pedicure (yeah, I was very self-indulgent yesterday). When Lori came back a little later, she said the lady was gone.

"With any luck, she'll get that book," I said. "It would do her a world of good."

"I doubt she will," Lori said drily. "When she left, she told me that she hoped her pediatrician had made a mistake in the medicine he's prescribed for her baby. Then she could sue him for all he's worth, and get some extra spending cash."

*NOTE: I normally don't recommend this book, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

25 comments:

mikster said...

Why is it the dumb people can't stop at having just one child...and that's too many for them.

Heather said...

Priceless. Absolutely priceless.

Stephanie said...

Oh my WORD!!! People are absolutely ridiculous! My friend always says that people should have to apply and be approved before having children. I wholeheartedly agree.

...And this post just reminded me why.

Brianne said...

Awww.... nothing like a rambunctious, demonous little boy to take over your mani/pedi.

That, and I agree with mike.

Saur♥Kraut said...

TC, yeah, another one that may not even be able to say "Would you like fries with that?"

Brianne, restful it wasn't! ;o)

Stephanie, isn't that the truth???

Heather, ;o)

Mike, and that's why I wish we could have mandatory sterilization which would only be reversible when parents passed a parenting and disease test. It would never happen, but I fantasize about it.

Ed said...

Sounds like Damien had ADD or Adult Deficite Disorder. I've always felt if parenting were better these days, the world would be a more peaceful place.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Ed, believe it or not, ADD is still a very controversial diagnosis. Many experts believe that it's simply a result of bad parenting, and not something that should be controlled with medication. I personally believe that there are rare, genuine cases, but that the majority of problem kids are due to problem parents (which you seem to think, too).

Ellen said...

Ah yes, suing.... isn't that our favorite national pastime? Instead of taking your advice for what it was, she looks for the angles to keep up her bad parenting skills. No wonder Damien is a mess. And I almost started to feel sorry for her....

mckay said...

that's an excellent book you recommended. i also love Bringing up Boys, by the same author.

my #1 goal as a parent is to raise polite, honest kids. my reward is every smile and compliment i receive whenever i take my kids out. why don't other parents think the same way? what's their parenting goal? i'll share a story about my son on my blog, as it's too long to leave here.

kudos to your friend for voicing her displeasure. her next step should be to refuse service to the woman unless her kids can behave. they're ruining the atmosphere of her salon.

i also hope the baby gets better medical attention..poor little one.

Ed said...

I think I heard it on Paul Harvey where he used the word Adult instead of Attention in ADD. I'm in complete agreement. I think it is way over diagnosed. The children whom I know who have been diagnosed with ADD all sound like Damien, spoiled and undisciplined.

Michael K. Althouse said...

Nice toes... Just the way I like 'em - five.

~Mike

Saur♥Kraut said...

Mike, as opposed to Marilyn Monroe's 6 toes? ;o) (I'd better mention that this was a hoax.)

Ed, excellent! Paul put the adult in ADD. I like that!

McKay, I heard that was a great book! I do feel badly for the baby. If she doesn't get him help, his future is bleak. Let's hope that something I said sunk in, and even if it's for the wrong reasons, she'll get him help.

Ellen, funny how very nasty some people can be. They look normal (or relatively normal) and are good at speaking normally but there's a seething putrescence underneath it all. Look at Bundy, for instance (he's an extreme case, perhaps, or perhaps not as extreme as we'd like to think).

Some Random Girl said...

As much as I think that people should be screened to have children and be required to go through parenting classes because there are so many fuck ups in the world. However, maybe she's just an overloaded, frustrated mom who looked unkempt from lack of sleep and obviously being worn out by the toddler. The kid needs a spanking and a good talking to and then obviously more attention. He's obviously acting out.

Back to the kid thing....It would never pass through the law. The ACLU would be all over that like stink on shit. People would be up in arms. I could hear them now. Comparing us to China. What would be next, they would ask. In theory it's a good idea but in reality, I don't think it would work.

Stupid people flock to each other. It's true, the old adage that birds of a feather flock together

Some Random Girl said...

Oh and by the way, as someone with ADD and a child with a similar diagnosis, I know it is a real thing. If you don't have it you can't possibly understand. I find that a lot of kids need more discipline. If parents would not keep putting TV's and video games and computers in the room to get the kid out of their hair to do their own thing maybe kids would behave better. There is a definite deterioration of the family nowadays. People are so obsessed with money and possessions that they have lost sight of what's truly important. Many of these children are crying out for help. I didn't know you were a therapist but if you are I would guess you would agree, would you not?

Saur♥Kraut said...

SRG, I agree. And though I'm a counselor, but I don't make my living that way or actively pursue it. I have trained to do it, and used to do it (among other things) and still do it - but only when it's requested by someone. I prefer what I'm doing now. The older I get, the less patience I have with stupid people. And many people who seek counseling are people who don't really actively want to get well, they simply want to vent.

Suzie, yeah, creepy, isn't it? Poor baby. The sad thing is that she has an excuse to keep him sedated. I have to keep my nails short or I go nuts. Pedicures are funnnnn!

High Power Rocketry said...

You know I have had bloggers block (aka not found anything to cut and paste as I never make anything of my own) until now. With your permission, I would like to link to this post.

Dave said...

Saur,

It took me a while to get use to Vietnamese women touching my feet. I said no bamboo shoots Ms. Tran.

I recommend that all men get pedicures for the summer. What good is a new Speedo if your toe nails are all messed up?

Kristie said...

ya know, we have to pass a test to drive and then actually show someone you can do it, but to be a parent all you have to do is spread your legs. Pretty distrurbing. I dont like to be one who judges other people and their parenting styles, but jeez...some people just suck. And then they usually raise their kids to be adults who suck just like them. its a Sad circle.

Saur♥Kraut said...

KristieD, Yeah, it's sad, isn't it? And yet, we trod carefully. I can understand why. The Dept of Children/Families has been famous for jumping the gun TOO quickly, and being too ready to take away children. Yet, there are also cases of children who should have been taken away, and weren't.

Gator, If you get the pedicure, remember that the nails need to match the Speedo.

Alex, of course, hon. You don't need my permission. Go for it!

Beaver said...

Rrrrrrrrrf *growls*

I'm not a parent, so who am I to judge?

Nevertheless, I can't help but feel that people like that ADVOCATE for selective procreation.

Nice pedicure, by they way. I'm jealous!

Cheers,

Beav'

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Well, I hate to admit it, but I earn my living from representing 'bad parents.' That being said, there are so many people who do not understand what appropriate parenting means.

I love the french pedicure look there! Very chic.

The Lazy Iguana said...

James Dobson????

I just puked all over my laptop. Whatever he says to do, I make it a point to do the opposite.

Suzy-Q said...

She is shameful........

Saur♥Kraut said...

Auntie Jo, horrible.

Lazy Iguana, :D I know, I know, and I wouldn't recommend him all the time to all the parents. In this particular case, drastic measures were needed. The key to any book is to take what feels right to you and leave the rest. I don't agree with him 100% of the time, but I also haven't bothered to sit down and write my own book on child rearing, either.

Barbara, well, lawyers often don't represent the innocent. Let's face it, people usually get charged because there's a reason to be charged. Yet, everyone's also entitled to a fair trial and representation.

Beav, well, in a way they probably WOULD have had natural selection in another time when medicines were non-existant. The baby wouldn't have made it. The older boy might have, but his behavior would have been seen as anti-societal and in a society where every member is valued and it's necessary for them all to be functional to a certain extent, his behavior would have been drastically curbed.

Beaver said...

I see what you mean. Somehow, it doesn't comfort me though. In the end, this woman's stupidity is just going to cause suffering for herself, her innocent (and not so innocent) children, and innocent bystanders.

(By the way, that like to the Omen freaked me out. Brrrrrrr)