Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Your Weekend Forecast: Smoky!
-and-
Don't Be Such a Ham!

THE WILDFIRES

The Florida wildfires continue to be out of control. One firefighter recently said: "This is probably the worst fire I've seen in the South. The way it's moving, the way we can't catch it. Every time we think we've got it, it jumps out on us. We've been running for three or four days now, pretty much nonstop."

The haze down here has lifted again, but if the winds turn, we'll be back to being smothered once more.
(photo courtesy of the St. Pete Times)

MY PARENTS LOSE ANOTHER DOG

My parents unexpectedly lost their second dog yesterday. Both of the dogs had grown very old, and (if you recall) the first one died a little while ago. Yesterday the second one had to be put to sleep because he'd gone into sudden kidney failure. Although my parents realized their dogs were living on borrowed time, they'd become a part of their family. As my father said heavily yesterday, Kipling once wrote that you should never give your heart to a dog, because it will break every time. Mom was destroyed. I am trying to convince them that they need to get another one ASAP: They are dog people and should never be without one.

MAN FINDS DIAMOND RING IN HAM

On May 10th, a man opened a fresh package of ham (which comes prepackaged and sealed to the grocery stores) only to find a large man's diamond ring nestled on top of the meat. He decided he was going to call the press and the company that manufactures the lunch meat in an attempt to find the owner of the ring. The video shows him happily munching away on a ham sandwich made from that package. Let's hope he's not dining on the ring's owner.

10 comments:

High Power Rocketry said...

Sorry about the dog :(

United We Lay said...

That sucks about the dog. Again, be careful with the fires. I hear the air is unhealthy.

The Lazy Iguana said...

Are you sure your parents would not rather have a little 6 week old gray kitten? He is gray. FREE DELIVERY INSIDE OF FLORIDA!

I have 6 (yes 6) cats now. Gigi the calico cat (she is the senior cat at all of four years old). Sake the long haired Balinese cat, Fred the fat orange cat, Cleo the cat I found looking for Cornelius who vanished, Lord Winderschmere the gray kitten, and Seagull.

I have photos of Seagull at

www.lazyiguana.org/seagull

I really like Seagull. I think I shall keep her. But in theory cay number 5 (gray kitten) is looking for another home.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Lazy, the seagull site has only pics of a (your?) boat. My parents used to have a cat they loved, but they enjoy the things a dog can (or chooses) to do and it's hard to walk a cat. ;o)

UWL, Thanks. We are trying to stay out of the smoke as much as possible, though we DID go play raquetball today.

R2K, thanks, hon. :o(

The Lazy Iguana said...

The Seagull is mine. The photos on the internet were taken when I went to look for it the first time.

You can take a kitty cat on a "drag" anytime you want.

The gray kitten can be leash trained. He is still very little. You could even toilet train him if you worked at it a little.

By the way, the boat IS a "cat". As in "catamaran". Only no sails! My cat can hit a top speed of 35 mph, and cruises along at 25 - 28 mph. Even with no wind. It is a very dry and comfortable ride.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Lazy, I thought you were "punning"... ;o)

United We Lay said...

Did I wish you a Happy Mother's Day yet? If not, well, you know!

daveawayfromhome said...

You may have to force the issue. Bring them a dog. It'll never replace, but it might refit.

I have 1 dog and 4 cats. We got two new kittens last fall (they kind of fell in our laps, so to speak). Sadly, one cat, whom I will refer to as The Mighty Hunter, is not going to make it through the summer without a minor miracle. He's almost 16, his hips are going, and I think he may have gotten some kidney damage from the cat food thing recently. He was my first pet, and though he's lived a full and (I think) good life, I'll be very sad to see him go.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

My sympathy about both the fire effect and the dog.

My daughter in Ocala called a couple of days ago worrying about the ash and smoke in her area.

I haven't had a dog in some years. When my last one died, I was traumatized for a couple of weeks, and decided not to do that again. When I suffer from Doggy withdrawal I bring my daughter's basset hound or my son's pit-bull cross to stay for a couple of days. They are delightful critters, though I have discovered that I can no longer take them out running as I used to.

Lucy Stern said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your parents other dog. We do become attached and we love them just as much as our own children. I hope their hearts heal...