Pages

Monday, September 12, 2005

A Customer From Hell Apologizes

About a month ago I brought on a new client. There were two partners, both female. Let's call them Astarte and Belial (because I can!). I was working with Astarte 95% of the time and had spoken briefly to Belial once. Astarte signed all the documents, etc., and was my main contact person. Or so I thought.

Then one day Belial called me in the morning and again in the early afternoon on a Friday. Fridays are insane for me. So by the time I got the chance to call her back she was on the phone with my boss, complaining that she wanted a new salesperson and that she couldn't get me to call her back. HUH? I hate that sort of client. You know the type: the kind that will happily throw you under the bus for $1. My boss, going on what this fruitcake was saying, told me he was taking me off the account until I persuasively argued that I never worked with Belial, hadn't been given an opportunity, and would like to make it right.

I kissed Belial's butt and got the account back. She graciously and patronizingly told my boss that 'beginners' need second chances (I've been with the company for many years but OK! I let her wallow in ignorance there). It will turn out to be a big account so what's a little degradation? I can do some serious brown-nosing for big bucks.

They've been on for over a month and it's been smooth sailing. Astarte just called me for something and at the end of the conversation, she said "Uh, I want to tell you something. I know it's not standard to apologize for a partner's behavior, but I think I really owe you an apology for Belial." I was almost speechless. I had never held Astarte accountable for Belial, but I've also rarely run into anyone that is honorable like that (let's face it, most people are just plain ugly to other people and will happily kick you the curb and pee on you too).

I thanked Astarte very sweetly, and she continued "I mean it. I told Belial to lay off, but she gets on tangents and ran with it. She's very high maintenance..." (Yeah, no kidding!) "And she gets that way sometimes. I really am very sorry."

I told Astarte that I truly appreciated her kindness and that what she said meant a great deal to me, and it does. I'm still reeling!

25 comments:

Eddo said...

Wow. I can just imagine your shock, that is a rarity! And just how much better does Astarte look in your eyes! I love it when stuff like this happens, it makes me want to bend over backwards for people to make them look good.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Eddo, Yes! I'm still not particularly fond of Belial, but I really admire Astarte. I like the new marriage proposal, BTW!!!

High Power Rocketry said...

Do you know how they make saurkraut? Its a shocking process. Its raw! Fermented! With fungus and stuff!

:)

R2000

Saur♥Kraut said...

Alex, well, no, it's actually just fermented cabbage. Mmmm.

Jeff said...

Personally, I like saurkraut on my weiner when I eat one. Fermentation seem sto suit me better than it does my girlfriend. Only thing is, eating saurkraut on my weiner makes me fart something ferocious. I never win. Until later...

Fred said...

I would confront this kind of issue on a daily basis while in the corporate world. It worked for me for some 20+ years, until I finally decided it wasn't worth it anymore.

Great ending.

P.S. When's the next story? I loved that idea!

Lila said...

That is a happy ending, and surprising!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Fred, I'm thinking this Saturday? It was lots of fun. I used to do it all the time with my best friend (who also is a writer) when we were growing up together.

AP3, true! It's quite rare. I can't wait to tell my boss tomorrow morning!

dddragon said...

Congrats, and good going, girl!!

michelle said...

Can't we all just get along?

Don't answer that.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Michelle, *g* BTW, ask the kids what color they want their candles to be. And what are you using for molds? Call or email me.

Dddragon, Yeah! I almost did a victory dance! ;o)

mal said...

A little courtsey means so much at times.

I think all of us that have prospered in sales learned along the way to leave our egos at home. It is not pleasant at times, but is necessary. Unfortunately, there seems to be people like Belial (nice alias *S*) that take advantage of this. Born school yard bullys

How is the new structure working?

Saur♥Kraut said...

Mallory, actually it's not bad. I'm in the office at least 1/2 a day everyday due to the new boss' demands but I was in 'the office' (my home office) doing paperwork half the day anyway, so whether or not it's official has nothing to do w/ the workload. Starting Oct. 1 I'm in the home office fulltime.

TLP said...

Wow! Happy ending. And there aren't so many of those!

Anonymous said...

I want to make candles....(hint)

michelle said...

Come over on Saturday. I will call you with the time, if you are nice to me, babysit every Friday for the rest of the year, and....I will think of more later.

Anonymous said...

HEY football games are on Friday!

michelle said...

fine, Saturday then.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Bandmom, are you coming too? Shall I bring extra wax? Michelle, got it: green, right? Any other colors just in case?

michelle said...

yes, she is coming. Green is right. The little one likes blue too, he said green because big brother did. Only extra wax if you want. Bandmom wants to learn.
She should watch your kids too don't you think? What time, did we say and I forgot?

Anonymous said...

Saturdays are competitions! Yes, I am coming. No need for extra wax. I just want to learn for now.

michelle said...

ok, Sundays the. And don't tell me you need to recoup!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I did not get to the candlemaking. I could not refuse free labor (mom) to take out the orange tree in the back yard. SOOOOO watch your own kid on Sundays LOL. I still look forward to meeting you sometime Saurkraut.

michelle said...

I hate you.

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!!!!