Pages

Monday, September 19, 2005

Stormy Weather

A hurricane is about to hit the Florida Keys (these are a series of small islands at the tip of Florida). If there is devastation, will the same fundraisers be held and will the same percentage of funds get raised as were raised for Louisianna and Mississippi? Will there be as many concerts? And what if there is devastation, but it isn't as shocking as the storm that wrecked Louisianna and Missippi? Will the Keys get much notice at all?

Hurricanes have been a part of my life since I was a baby. I remember my parents shaking me awake so that I could bail out the family living room. I remember going for days without electricity but we were used to not having air conditioning back then, so it seemed more like an adventure (and we got to use candles!)

I have collected candles and canned goods all my life. My larder is always full, just in case. I never discovered how much these storms affected me until I realized that not everyone keeps such a stock of supplies on hand. But, it's always been second nature to me. And it should have been second nature to the citizens in Louisianna and Mississippi. I didn't need the government to keep reminding me to be prepared. However, others probably need that reminder. I feel the governments of Louisianna and Mississippi did their citizens a great disservice. This neglect will probably result in many lawsuits.

In the meantime, I continue to wonder: If the Keys are affected by this coming hurricane, will they receive the same hysterical reaction?

P.S. Everyone should give themselves a nice pat on the back. Your story turned out marvellously! I tacked on a short ending which summed it up, but you are the ones that created it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know that is a really good question. My gut tells me, no. Do you remember the devastation when the hurricane hit Charleston? It was devastating. As I recall, people just picked up and got back to work. I remember seeing land as far as you could see where miles of pines were layed flat. I don't recall this level of support.

The mayor and governor are worse than worthless. Nagin has said that no money should be spent in NO without his approval. I don't know about anyone else, but I think any aid should come with the caveat that he cannot disburse one penny of aid.

I don't hold out any hope that Floridians would get such treatment. Does anyone think we will?

Fred said...

Speaking of the governments of Louisiana, did you see how the mayor opened the city, then closed it again? 'Nuff said.

I think the Keys will be bruised. I'm really worried when this thing gets in the Gulf, intensifies, then hits either Texas or Louisiana. It could be ugly, and we have quite a few blog-buddies out there.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Kathleen, I couldn't agree with you more about Nagin. I surely hope people will sue him personally.

I'm betting we'll get little to no attention. We usually don't, although we're usually the ones that are hit the hardest. I think the world is used to Florida getting hit, and they figure we're tough and hardy. And we are! But we're also smarter. There will be less lives lost because people (for the most part) realize when it's time to GO. But let's not kid ourselves: our collective IQs are probably no higher than the IQs of the people in LA and MS. It's just that our governments are better at educating the average idiot.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Fred, yes, no matter where it hits it will be unfortunate. We also need to consider the fact that the oil rigs may get hit a second time. As if gas prices aren't high enough... This is a great excuse for the oil conglamorates.

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Stay safe!

I would imagine the output of support would depend upon the degree of devistation. Let us hope there is none.

Jamie Dawn said...

You have a governor that is on top of things. I don't see things falling apart as they did with Katrina, no matter how much damage comes to the Keys.
Preparation is the key like you said, and being prepared to evacuate as needed.
Bush is taking a lot of heat over Katrina, some may be deserved, but I think that Nagin and Blanco deserve to have the fire held to their feet as well.
I think your observations are correct. There won't be the hype or push to help those who need it after Rita hits. I'm certain there are poor people in Florida too who will need help. We just won't hear about it.

Lila said...

Yeah, the story turned out great! I didn't contribute because I was feeling completely uncreative.

It is scary to think how little energy will be left for the next disaster. And with global warming, it seems, disasters will follow each other more closely from now on.

The Lazy Iguana said...

In 1992, all kinds of support was sent to Dade County.

And when I was in Punta Gorda last year driving a supply truck for the Red Cross, I saw support from all over the nation. The cell phone compnaies sent in tower trucks, larger churches sent in tractor trailers and set up kitchens, Habitat For Humanity was there giving away blue tarps, and even going onto people's roof to nail the tarps over holes.

But The Keys will not get as much attention. First off, The Keys are evacuated. Most people have left. Even the usual Key West "keep the bars open" attitude is not there this time.

Second, the population density of The Keys is not that great. Even if there is total destruction, Dade and Broward Counties would be able to absorb the displaced.

In short, the limited land area and low population limits the damage that can be done.

michelle said...

As usual I agree with you on this.

The local and state gov't dropped the ball knowing Katrina was going to hit. They learned NOTHING from us here in Florida last year. We hav THREE hurricanes hit. Some areas were hit more than one time.

My advice for the future, watch Florida and learn.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Good question, Kraut.

And BTW, you are VERY GOOD at ending the stories. None of us could do it with your deftness.