Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2005

A Walking Lawsuit

My friend's boss is A Walking Lawsuit Waiting to Happen. She is black, and is earthy and funny and a joy to be around. She's battled cancer in the past, although she's quite young for that (early 40s).

She recently had a severe medical complication. While she was out, everyone worried about her and missed her terribly. When she came back, she was on a new drug. This drug has all sorts of side effects. One of the side effects is slurred speech. She generally doesn't show that, though she talks slower than she used to. When she gets nervous or excited, she then slurs or stammers slightly. I love her dearly and feel it keenly. The doctor has told her that she will adjust to it eventually.

But the other day, the Walking Lawsuit suddenly vomited up this treasure as she was stammering through a difficult phrase: "I hope you don't talk to customers like that!" he told her.

She was greatly impacted by that. She retold it to me later, fighting back tears. I almost marched into his office to confront him but she begged me to say nothing. He's lucky she's such a fair person. She's not the kind of person that looks for lawsuits. She's cheery and loving and tries to forgive and see the good in everything and everyone. But if he ever runs into someone who is looking for a lawsuit, they won't have to look far.

8 comments:

Lila said...

What an @$$ your boss is! Your poor friend.

Dave said...

I once saw two men walking a breast, but a Walking Lawsuit. One too many totties I suspect.

The Lazy Iguana said...

For christmas, send your boss an enema. Wrap the box up with pretty paper and include a bow. Make it look like a real small office gift.

The card can read "because you are so full of it.....the holiday spirit that is!"

If anyone asks you about it, act shocked.

michelle said...

eek! I have a manager that puts foot in mouth on occassion. NOTHING like this. How awful for not only your friend, but the people that heard this and have to wonder when it is their turn. No work environment should be like this. There is no excuse.

(I answered the candle stuff on the other thread.)

mal said...

soon to be ex-boss....good riddance

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Could you maybe break it to him gently, try to get him to show some sympathy? I think it would be worth a try.

High Power Rocketry said...

Reminds me of the show, The office (the american one most I suppose).

Would be funny if it were not real life I guess.

R2000

Fred said...

He's very lucky, indeed. With a few more statements like that, she could be a very rich lady.