Pages

Friday, September 02, 2005

Traffic Court Scam

OK, I am posting this not as a 'how to' but as an example of a classic scam that I never would've thought about before!

I went to traffic court the other night (I got out of the ticket, thankfully! I really didn't deserve it. Um, no really. Oh, that's what they all say, isn't it?).

While I was waiting my turn, I saw quite the collection of characters pass in front of the judge. Traffic Court has a certain process they go through each time, apparently. First the judge hears all the people who were busted for parking illegally in a handicapped zone. Then he gets to the more 'serious' cases.

During the 'handicapped zone' situations, one old lady shuffled up to the podium. "Victoria White," the bailiff intoned. "No sir," said the old lady. "I was driving my daughter's car and it was registered in her name, so they must've gotten me all mixed up. My name is Victoria Plunkett. My daughter is Lekeesha White." (The names have been changed to protect the not-so-innocent).

After his initial confusion, the judge then asked her to continue. She claimed that she had been parked in the handicapped zone legally, and produced her tag and registration for the handicapped parking. She claimed she'd been there with her grandkids, wasn't feeling well, and couldn't find the tag to produce it when the police officer had asked for it. The judge bought the story, issued her a $7.50 fine, and sent her on her way.

That's when a friend of mine (who knows a great deal about law and the court system and was with me that night) leaned over and whispered to me that the woman had just pulled a classic con. "When someone is caught repeatedly parking in a handicapped zone, it becomes criminal," he explained. "So, her daughter probably got caught again and gave a name that was just wrong enough to cause confusion so that her mom - who is handicapped - could step in and take the fall for her. That way her mom doesn't get in any trouble, and neither does she."

And the judge bought it; hook, line and sinker.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's a new one for me. I'm surprised the judge was so gullible.

Jamie Dawn said...

smart old gal

michelle said...

my luck would never allow me to do something like that.

Anonymous said...

In some, conning has become an art form. I have the pleasure of interacting with those talented individuals every day. Yes, it has skewed my perception of humanity.

Dave said...

I've never been to traffic court but I can only imagine. I do know that close to 95% of the population lies to the authorities when attempting to avoid being charged with a crime. Lekeesha sounds very phonic.

Dave said...

TC,
I know you have a cone head.

Jeff said...

HA HA HA!! You think that was entertaining and wrong at the same time? Try going to sit in on a day or two of child support court some day. You will see some of the evilest and vilest sides of humanity come out. You will see some very rights and very very wrong wrongs. You will see heart break and you will see joy. Alot will open your eyes. I try to go to the courthouse at least once a month or so just to watch things work because it's great theater but of them all, the best is still child support court. Try it sometime. Until later...

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Is this where we say, "And I thought I'd heard it all"?

TLP said...

Some people. What scum.

dddragon said...

My DH and I sat thru hours of traffic court 15 years ago in New Jersey. An elderly woman had "not seen" a stop sign and hit DH (in my brand new car!). That judge was tough - there were lots of bench warrants issued for those who didn't show up. Those who were there because they had been arrested from previous bench warrants tried to tell the judge that they couldn't get to the courthouse for various reason. The judge looked at their address and then told them the exact busses they could take to get there!! Then when they complained they didn't have the money, the judge set up paycheck liens (sp?) for amounts like $5 a week. Some of it was sad, some funny when the judge wouldn't take the bullcrap.

Our lesson from being there was to never get into an accident with someone who has the same insurance company as you do.

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Traffic court can be a surreal experience, better than going out to find paid entertainment.

Good to hear you got out of your ticket, by the way.