Pages

Monday, August 22, 2005

Customers From Hell

This is just the beginning of the stories of the Customers From Hell. I plan to periodically tell you about these monsters. I see them as an example of what not to be, ever. Despite that my degrees are in other areas, I've been in sales since I was 15 years old. I'm a natural, and found my calling early while other kids were serving fries through a drive-in window. That didn't make me any better than they were, but I can tell you that I enjoyed my job a great deal more!

This first Customer From Hell story took place when I was in my late teens. I was a Perfume Model at a major department store in the 80s. Back then, department stores had huge budgets which were also supplemented by the major cosmetic companies. They would often collaborate and hire people to represent certain lines, and walk throughout the store approaching customers and doing their best to persuade them to buy a particular fragrance.

I was a Perfume Model to supplement my meagre income at that moment (I was a full time college student). Sometimes if a customer wanted immediate assistance, I would walk her over to the counter where the items were and I might even ring up the purchase if the other people were busy. I wasn't supposed to do it often, but did it occasionally.

One day I had a woman who was very responsive, but also quite demanding. She wanted immediate service, the store was crammed with people (it was during the Christmas holidays) and so I walked her over to the cosmetics counter and she told me exactly what she wanted. She also demanded I ring her up right away and said she couldn't wait for anyone else to do it. So, I went behind the counter and rang up her purchase.

When I rang up a customer, I had a certain sequence I went through. I would ring her in, take her charge card (in this case) and imprint it on the sales slip. Then I would turn around, and place the slip in front of her along with the credit card next to it. I did that this time, the customer signed the paper, and turned to leave. Then she said "Oh, you almost forgot to give me my credit card."

I did, I said brightly, and told her that she had just picked it up and put it back in her wallet. "No I didn't," argued the customer, "look over there!" So, beginning to doubt my senses, I looked over at the sales counter, but there was no credit card there.

"Heyyyy, what are ya trying to pull?" asked the customer, suspiciously. I assured her that I wasn't trying to con her, and asked her to just check her wallet. "Where is the manager?" demanded the customer loudly. "I wanna speak to the manager!"

I was now breaking out into a cold sweat, and other customers and salespeople were beginning to look at us. "She stole my credit card!!!" the customer said loudly. "I wanna speak to the manager!!!"

Now I was turning bright red, and was fighting crying. The manager was summoned, and came up to the customer. "What seems to be the problem?" she asked, calmly. "This girl is trying to pull something on me!" whined the customer loudly. "She stole my credit card!!"

When the manager got the stories sorted out (I was trying not to hyperventilate at this point) she asked the customer to please look in her wallet, "Just to be sure..."

The customer snapped "Fine! But it won't be there," and dramatically grabbed her wallet, opened it up, rummaged through it, and.... came up with the card.

"Oh, there it is," she said with no change of voice. She then turned to me and added "Well, I guess you must understand how I felt," and walked out of the store to go wreak havoc on someone else's life. No apology, nothing. I was young and inexperienced at that time, and scared of my own shadow. I would've handled it differently now, of course.

This particular Customer From Hell is the Bullying Customer. That's the kind of customer that's miserable in their own life and so they go shopping so that they can take it out on others. I only wish she'd been the only one I've ever encountered.

18 comments:

mal said...

Unfortunately we can not fire back at people like that either. I actually took up meditating at one point to help me control my anger and frustrations when I had to deal with small spirited people like that. Fortunately for me they have never been as common in the industrial sector as they are in the consumer.

You handled it as best it could be.

The meditating did help too.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Yeah, it's really sad how we can come up with the perfect riposte --long after the opportunity to use it has passed.

michelle said...

If it makes you feel better I took a credit card from a woman, checked her signature and gave her her purchase and let her go. A day later she came back yelling that we did not check the signature and the her card was stolen and yadydadyda. I remembered her and told her that I remembered her. She said no it wasn't me. Finally I found the copy of the signature, checked the credit card, check the license, and still didn't get it, everything matched. The girl finally tells me it was her sister that stole the cared... her TWIN sister. Now how was I suppose to catch that one?

Jeff said...

No time to type today, but it looks like you need to remove the ability to leave anonymous comments because you got your ass spammed something fierce today. Speaking of that...Gotta go do it myself...Until later...

Fred said...

The customer is always right. Right? Wrong.

The person who came up with that saying obviously never stepped foot in a retail store.

Some Random Girl said...

I have had my share of crappy customers....They suck! I hate it when someone is mean and doesn't have the courtesy to apologize when THEY are wrong.... It just goes to show you that some people just are Rude!

Gary said...

You make me glad I don't work in sales. I have too thin a skin for dealing with those sorts of people.

You might want to check your settings, like someone else said, you can prevent some of the spamming. If you go to Settings|Comments|Show word verification for comments|Yes - it will be much harder for strangers to spam you.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Gary, I'm forever in your debt. Polanco, did you see this? This way you could allow anonymous comments (which I don't mind) but not get spammed by the jerks.

Jules and Fred, isn't that the truth? Too many people take advantage of that old maxim (the customer's always right) and everyone knows it isn't true! Why pretend? Courtesy goes both ways.

Jeff, you aren't kidding! At first I thought "WOW, who knew so many people were that excited about retail sales???" *LOL*

Michelle, sounds like she was trying a fast one and you busted her. I'll bet she didn't have a twin at all! BTW, check your email so that you can become a moderator for the parents blog...

Oldhorsetail, YES! I hate that! I've gotten better as I've grown...um...more mature...

TC, you're right. It's the frontlines!

Mallory, I took lots of psych and management classes instead. But anger management therapy is also a good idea! It's incredible how much we see of real human nature out there.

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Some people can be so annoying, I understand.

But I try to accept others for who they are for MY peace of mind, not theirs. When I try to change people, it makes me more and more frustrated.

Next time, give um hugs instead of hell!!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Barbara, You are right, there's nothing that can be done. But I think a mixture of kindness but frankness in such a situation does a world of wonders. If I had encountered this customer now, I would say that although I understood how she felt, I would never have tried so hard to embarrass someone who might be innocent. I would say it with a smile, though. ;o)

Lila said...

Ick.

Yeah, one of my favorite things about being older is being bolder. I would've been crushed by that when I was young, too, but now I'd handle it much differently. People are often harsh with the young people serving them, I think. Sometimes I think it's because they know they can get away with it 'cause young people are so timid. That really makes me mad.

United We Lay said...

Saur, that totally sucks. There are tons of customer service isses when dealing with parents, more so in private school, though. I worked in a private shool for a year and the parents were completely in control.

The word varification thing is a little difficult for a dyslexic like me, but I'll try it.

mal said...

Saur, I refuse to view abhorant behaviours as "real". They are certainly memorable. I think we see a lot more really good people out there than we do the creeps. Its just the creeps stick in our memories

Gunner said...

Some people live life's as an example for others. Not an example of what to grow up to be, but what you should try never to be.

The Lazy Iguana said...

I have helped sales people before. I have been in line behind bad customers complaining about something stupid.

I, being another customer, am also always right. So I will open my trap and say something like "why can't you just shut up and move out of my way so I can pay for this stuff?" or (loudly to another person also waiting in line) "Don't you hate it when some stupid idiot holds up the line?" or even (to myself) "how do I always get in line behind a stupid bitch that will not shut the @#$@#$ up?"

I love the nasty looks. It makes me laugh. That usually only makes the person madder.

Of course, I do not do this if the person having the issue looks like they can beat me up. But one of these days I am going to get an ass kicking. I have health insurance now, so at least I will be able to get my nose re-set.

United We Lay said...

Mallory,
That's an excellent way to look at things. When people are mean to mean I try to think the way I would want them to think about me: they were having a rough day, they responded badly, I can't possibly know what's going on in their lives at the moment, so I'll try to be as nice as I can and deal with them as quickly as I can, then let it go.

Lazy,
My husband takes your approach. Being human, I tend to find it a little amusing, but I try not to participate too much unless they're giving someone a hard time about politics or religion.

Saur,
The new word varification thing is difficult for me, but my husband and I decided to write a letter to blogger. Dyslexics have a hard time seeing unfamiliar letter patterns such as a string of consanants, and it's especially difficult if they are in color and at weird angles. We're requestinbg that blogger do it at least in black and white. That might make it easier. For now, it's good practice. Sometimes I get it right the first time, but a lot of times I have to try it two or three times. It's giving me more perspective on what it's like for students with mroe severe learning disabilities.

Eddo said...

Ugh. I hate customers like that. And poor you, just having to take it like that, don't you wish you could just transport yourself back in time knowing what you know now and deal with people? I know I would.

Jamie Dawn said...

As I read this, I was feeling your pain! I'm in a bad mood sometimes just like anybody, but people who take it out on others really piss me off! It's not going to hurt them to crack a smile.