Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Discrimination at KFC

OK, this is going to be a more controversial post. If you're allergic to controversy, pass up on this one today, and come back tomorrow. Maybe by then I'll find something less threatening.

Yesterday evening my son (Saurkid) and I swung by KFC for dinner. He always gets the Kid's Laptop meal (their kids' meals are excellent). We got home, opened up our meals, and dug in while we chatted about our day (remember, I am not a domestic goddess, though I'm a good cook when I have the time). During a lull in the coversation, Saurkid began to idly read aloud a portion of the box his meal came in.

The whole theme of the box was "What Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up?" There were all sorts of jobs, from scientist to engineer. Every one of those jobs had a boy pictured next to it, except for the 'writer' job, which had a girl. There were about 6-8 boys, and only the one girl. And what was she writing? Some sappy story about a princess who is rescued by a prince and lives happily ever after with him.

Great message to send to all the kids out there, KFC. A girl can't do anything technical - oh no! She's lucky if she can get to be a writer, fall in love with some guy that will rescue her and give her a reason for living. With any luck, he will be the engineer.

Wow does that infuriate me. How can any company in this era put out such a regressive message? Many of us women have spent decades overcoming that stereotype. Many others have lived through great disappointments, looking for the Prince Charming that never came. My mother is (among other things) a women's counselor (I also do some counseling; another story for another time). As she has always wisely said to many women, "You keep looking for Prince Charming, yet you are no Cinderella."

I am no militant feminist, but I will be contacting KFC today. Perhaps when I use my full title (Dr. Saurkraut), they will realize that women can do more than be the bit players in the game of life.

20 comments:

mal said...

Saur,,,,REAL sore subject for me too. My oldest daughter has completed a BA in Mathematics, the youngest is finishing her Engineering degree and I hold two bachelors and am MBA. I am not now, nor have I ever been an up in arms feminist but I believe my daughters are as capable as many of thier male peers and deserve the respect thier accomplishments engender. It annoys the !@#$ out of me when it is just assumed that girls are supposed to be pretty and leave hard stuff to the men. KFC should be ashamed of themselves. I Knew there was a reason I hated their food

BALONEY!!!!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Mallory, I am still in amazement about this. I'm not someone who tries to take offense. I don't look for issues. But this one just came up and smacked me between the eyes! I couldn't believe it. I was floored!

TLP said...

This is too horrible to let pass! I cannot believe they did this in this day and age.

Yep. I'm contacting them.

dddragon said...

OH MY GAWD - I also cannot believe this. I will also be writing - I may also go to the local KFC to complain.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

I don't see anything controversial in this post. You are spot on. Let us know if you want some other people to pee on KFC.

United We Lay said...

I'm writing a letter!

Fred said...

I can hardly wait to hear their reply...

Lila said...

Geez. It is hard to believe in this day and age. I remember getting upset by things like that when I was a little kid in the 1970s, and Mom (Tan Lucy Pez) would always complain appropriately to the powers-that-be. But pathetic in 2005!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Mr. Gator, if you're not pulling my leg, then they must have a variety of themes. Still, I stick to my guns: they shouldn't have one box that is skewed like the one my son got last night.

AP3, my parents also were open-minded, thankfully, and taught me that girls could do anything they wanted to (within certain physical limits, of course - for instance, I can't bench press 200 and don't wish to, either). In your case, you play hockey!

Fred, I sent them the letter through their customer comment section on the web. Whaddya bet that I don't get a reply?

Polanco, Dddragon & Tan Lucy, good! The more they hear from us the more chance we have of changing it.

TC, so did I...

The Lazy Iguana said...

To be honest, girls should not major in engineering. Why? Simple.

Engineers are nerds. Big time. Put a hot chick, or any chick for that matter, in an engineering class and what happens? Buildings begin to look like the state capitol in Tallahassee.

Two smaller buildings with domes for a roof, with a large square building lodged between the domes. looking like a giant....uhhhhh...cucumber or something.

Meegan said...

Remember that talking Barbie from a few years ago who said "Math is hard!" etc, etc. We've come a long way, baby!

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

It is good to remember to be a strong advocate and voice for women who do not wish to speak!

I am glad that Saur speaks frankly!!

Econo-Girl said...

Why aren't you a militant feminist?

michelle said...

My, my, my

what's next.

Dave said...

Saur,

I didn't want to hurt your feelings but there was also a rather plain looking girl on the box that went on to become a Doctor.

It's hard typing in those out of focus letters. Do you dislike me?

Saur♥Kraut said...

Mr. Gator, sorry for the funky letters, but I was getting too many spam posts. *sigh* Hey, if there are hunky male doctors, there can certainly be scrumptious female ones!

Michelle, maybe KFC will start publishing little pamphlets for all the girls on how to apply make-up and dress to please a man...

Econo Girl, because I believe in moderation in all things. I take what I consider to be the good, and don't go to extremes.

Barbara, it never ceases to amaze me when I see our silent sisters. They even agree with us, but prefer to let others do the talking for them.

Meegan, oh yeah! I'd forgotten about Bimbo Barbie.

Lazy Iguana, well it would lead to interesting architecture!

Gunner said...

Not to pimp my own blog, but I had a run in with Best Buy and brought them down.
Initial post
follow up where Best Buy backs down.

So call them and give them a piece of your mind.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Gunner, OMG. Elizabeth must've been furious. Good for you guys! I hadn't heard of that one. How come it didn't get more media attention? Wow! It never ceases to amaze me how many idiots there are out there. To think that it got past marketing and the 'higher-ups' to make it onto the site!!!

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

I thought only black people ate fried chicken?

See what I did there?

Saur♥Kraut said...

Dan, 'zactly.