Pages

Monday, August 29, 2005

The Thrill of the Hunt

Let's take the time to talk about those of us that are addicted to 'deals'. You know the ones I mean, and I'm betting you understand our sickness, even if you aren't the garage-sale-thrift-shop junkie that I am.

OK, yes, I am a thrift shop junkie. There, I said it.

Today I was in the area of this one marvellous thrift shop and I just had to take that detour. This obsessive-compulsive voice whispered to me, reminding me of the time I found the $3 necklace that I sold on Ebay for $45. So, I sauntered in (I was 'just looking'). An hour later, I sauntered out again ($60 poorer).

I won't bore you with the details. But, suffice to say that the haul is worth at least twice that. Some will go to friends and family as gifts (people who are looking for certain things). Some will stay here and go on display. But I just bought some things that I've never seen before, and they're striking! One is Fenton glassware in an incredible, eerie cream/green satin color, one is an eclectic piece of milkglass shot through with vibrant baby blue, one piece is a handthrown and handpainted italian pitcher... I am just overwhelmed by these finds. I will gloat over them for a short while, and then pass them on to the homes they need to go to.

But let's face it: I'm not a domestic goddess. I'm not buying the items to display. Instead, they are the trophies that I have brought home just as my ancestress probably dragged home a chunk of Mammoth meat after a long day of hunting.

P.S. I forgot to add: There was one interesting find today, but I didn't want to bother spending $5 for it. It was a large concrete garden plaque that read "People are the colored flowers in the garden: The truth is one." Now that was probably a great buy simply because it made as much sense as some of the fortunes I get in Chinese fortune cookies.

14 comments:

Eddo said...

Mmmm, for some reason I am so hungry right now and Mammoth meat sounds delicious!

I love a great bargain too, I think everyone does, except people that enjoy throwing money out the window.

Over the weekend I got some great 80 dollar jeans for 30, not a steal, but the jeans are EXACTLY what I was looking for and how rare is it to get just want you want at a price you can afford?

michelle said...

I am the worst bargin hunter. You'll have to teach me. Of course with my luck, it is probably something you are born with.

Fred said...

Maybe you're a domestic goddess in training? :)

United We Lay said...

My husband's great with the bargins, and he likes to do the shopping. I'm so lucky!

Saur♥Kraut said...

I forgot to add the P.S. but go back now and read the end of the story. That is another great reason to love thrift stores.

Polanco, sounds like you found a real human treasure!

Fred, no, I am a Domestic Goddess Fallen From Grace. At one time, I was a Domestic Goddess. I am now too diversified. I need to hire one instead! ;o)

Michelle, well, it was growing up with parents who knew tons about antiques and valuables, and then watching and reading everything I could find on collectibles. But I would love to go with you not this Saturday, but next Saturday (sans kids)! We'll go junkin'!

Eddo, that is a great bargain. I just spent a fortune on jeans that feel like sweatpants and look like a million bucks. I never would have, until I let a salesgirl sucker me into trying them on.

United We Lay said...

Sure did! Good post for a stressful day! I've got ex-boyfrienditis.

michelle said...

yes! Just you and me, no kids! Lunch? Saturday 9/10/05

Saur♥Kraut said...

Michelle, it's a date! I can't wait!

Polanco, I just read that! Hang in there, hon.

GodlessMom said...

My problem is I fall in love with the little bargain treasures and when I get them home they just don't look as cool as I would like. Do you suppose they used to display their mammoth meat on the shelves? Ewww.

Lila said...

I LOVE thrift shops, and I love getting a bargain. I just went to one today, in fact. I got four never-worn (had tags) shirts for $10. Can't beat that!

Dave said...

I have to admit I just love e-bay. I sometimes wonder if I’m buying stolen merchandise though.

I wish they would outlaw garage sales. It’s just not safe to drive around in Pinellas County on a Saturday morning

Saur♥Kraut said...

Gator, Saturday mornings are perilous in some neighborhoods~! As for Ebay, hopefully it's not stolen, but how can one ever tell?

AP3, excellent! I love those kind of finds. I've found some great business suits in thrift stores that weren't out of date and were sometimes new, so I guess the owners 'outgrew' them?

Godlessmom, that's when you are done with the 'gloat' stage and it's time to proceed to the 'giveaway' stage. For instance, I find beautiful hand-etched crystal glassware that is cheap because there are no matching pieces. So what do you do? Turn them into candleholders, or gift them to a friend with a votive inside. ;o) As they say: It's always a pleasure to recycle old treasures.

As for the mammoth meat, I think they probably displayed the bones. I studied ancient jewelry making and the oldest beads that have been discovered were carved out of bone. Waste not, want not, as my grandmother used to say.

Jeff said...

It ain't about what it's worth to anyone else, it's about what it's worth to you. I'm just as guilty as you are. I have a huge collection of antique books I got in thrift stores if for no other reason than because I like they way they look on my shelf. Old books look cool. One man's junk...

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Part of the value and joy of finding an item, as you describe, is the hunt. This is why I love to shop at Nordstrom's Rack...It is hit or miss, but when you find something of good value, it is evven beter.


Old books and junk are even cooler!