Pages

Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Dollmaker

(Remember, you can click on any of these pics to see them larger)

3 Score & 10 recently asked me if the witchdoctor in my last post was a doll. He isn't (to my knowlege) though it's a great picture, isn't it? I suspect its a photoshopped picture, though they may have hired an actor to sit behind a desk, for all I know.

But it got me to thinking about a dollmaker that I interviewed several years ago, and I thought you all might be interested in the story. I was very impressed, and I've never even liked dolls!

I've been blessed with a wide variety of jobs, and during the time that I had this particular one, my assignment was to interview different local businesses. I actually just stumbled into this business by chance one day.

Rustie's International creates breathtakingly gorgeous dolls. Rustie hand-sculpts each individual prototype doll's face from clay. The dolls all have strikingly different faces, incidentally. When it's exactly where she wants it, she fires it and creates the body. When the doll is complete, she makes a mold of it and then delicately handpaints all the fine details and handsews the outfit. Of course Rustie has a couple assistants who help her, but this woman is amazingly talented, and she is the sculptress. (She employs friends and relatives. What a wonderful family business!)

Then the doll is marketed. The Home Shopping Network (HSN) is housed here in Clearwater, and is often one of Rustie's clients. So is The Danbury Mint.

Rustie takes the prototype in for the buyers to examine. If they like what they see, they may order 100 or more. That's when Rustie gets busy.

Rustie has a contract with a factory in China, where she sends the prototype and the mold for mass production. They carefully copy the prototype down to the finest detail, and voila! It's ready to be sold on HSN.

If a particular prototype doesn't sell, it becomes a one-of-a-kind and there's also a huge market for that among doll collectors so it's always a win-win situation for Rustie.

I am truly envious of her talent and her job. Rustie is a gifted, unique individual. She is also exceptionally pleasant, and even took time to sit down with me (a total stranger) so that she could share a little bit of her time and enthusiasm with another.

Check out her website for even more of her fabulous dolls! As you can see, they're so lifelike you can find yourself waiting for them to breathe. You almost feel that you could be friends with one, would despise another... you might even finding yourself thinking "I'll bet she's a tramp in real life" before you catch yourself. ;o)

P.S. I am continuing to face some serious challenges, and would appreciate being in your thoughts and prayers at this time.

24 comments:

Whistle Britches said...

Do you think she could make me an AJ doll? Oh wait, I already have one of those. Of course we will pray for you.........

mal said...

I am not a doll person either (although there is a strange irony there) but I have to agree, those are beautiful. I am thinking they are as much an artform as anything

Deb said...

Oh no no no no no….If I had these dolls in my room, I’d freak out. They look like they can just get up and walk over to you and possibly attack! They look too too real. The art work on these dolls are unbelievable though. The person who makes them should really consider working for a wax museum. Have you ever gone to one? I LOVE those. So lifelike. Anyway---beautiful dolls, but much too scary to have in my home. (It’s just my mental disorders that keep me from appreciating these fabulous beauties…)

This is what I fear happening if I had one of those dolls...click on this.

Deb said...

I know...I'm sick. I need help.

mikster said...

those are some realistic looking dolls....and best of luck on what's challenging you!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Suzie, You really gave me a laugh I needed. Thanks for the compliment! It's always nice to get all 'dolled' up! ;o) 'scuse the pun...

Stick Figure Mike, ;o) I think you'd be considered quite manly if you were able to play with these dolls. I've never looked under the skirts, but I wonder if they're anatomically correct? Everything else is so realistic!

Picture Mike, thanks, hon.

Deb, ;o) They are so realistic! Not as cute as Chuckie, tho...

Mallory, you're right. They are an art-form.

Uncle Joe, Are you kidding? AJ is a doll!

Michael K. Althouse said...

saur said: P.S. I am continuing to face some serious challenges, and would appreciate being in your thoughts and prayers at this time.

You already were!

~Mike

Saur♥Kraut said...

Mike A, thanks, honey. *hugs*

michelle said...

They are pretty!

You are always in my thoughts and prayers!

Call or email me.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

These are beautiful. As a maker and collector I appreciate them very much. I have never posted about them, but think I may, if I can get permission from friends to do a (if I can get help) link to some pages.
You have been in my thoughts and prayers for a while.

High Power Rocketry said...

I am sorry you are up against serious problems... I hope everything is better soon :(

Bono is Brian Peppers!

Ellen said...

Consider yourself thought of, and prayed for! Best of luck with all the endeavors you are facing.

Some Random Girl said...

Wow! beautiful

Speckledpup said...

neeeeeeeeat!

Hi, I'm delurking today.
The Pup.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

I am rubbing rabbit's foot, searching for 4-leaf clover on your behalf, Saur. Good luck.

Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

You are in my prayers.

hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and will keep you in my prayers.

Be strong.

Jamie Dawn said...

Rustie is indeed a master artist. What gorgeous work!
I have never been a doll collector, but that doesn't mean I can't recognize talent when I see it.

Whether your struggles are health or job related, I will say a prayer for their resolution. Hang on as best you can.

Dave said...

Saur,

I only wish she made lifesize dolls. I lost some money in HSN many years ago so I don't buy anything from them.

If this is a business problem I always give in to crying and a short skirt.

TLP said...

I will send good thoughts towards you. We're all pulling for you.

On the dolls: My Mama collected dolls. She had over 200. It's big business.

Bryan said...

An excellent piece!

Consider the prayer a done deal.

Live, Love, Laugh said...

wow that was awesome! Those dolls are beautiful!

Eddo said...

cool dolls.

I'll be praying for you - even though I am a bit late, I am sure you could still use it!

The Zombieslayer said...

I checked out her site and her prices. That's some serious coin.

On the male side, Todd McFarlane does some superb work. I own a bunch of his pieces, from his Spawn pieces to his sports legends.

My mother has some gorgeous dolls. We picked up a few from her from the Indian Res in Arizona and shipped them back to Texas to add to her collection.

I've always had a lot of respect for doll-makers. There's an incredible artist in Ventura, CA that has famous historical figures from the middle-ages on. They're about the same caliber, very nice to look at.