Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Why I Chose Saurkraut

Aunt Josefina asked in my late post yesterday: How can you top a name like Saur?? How did you come up with that anyway?

I entered the blogging world in March of last year. This wasn't my first blog. My first one is still listed in my links, although I haven't posted to it in at least 9 months or so (I'm too lazy to go back and research exact dates today).

I had started getting involved in a local blog by our school superintendant, Clayton Wilcox (who is a ninny). I kept leaving comments and arguments, and got very tired of them all being lost among the other numerous "anonymous" comments. But there were many people that were polarized by what I was saying. Some hated me, some loved me.

So I figured I'd start up a blog on school and kids issues where I could state my somewhat acidic views, and have a "legit" handle, too. That way, if anyone was interested in more of what I had to say, they knew where to find me.

I had to come up with a name, and being a frustrated gourmet who lives on a perpetual diet, I started with food names: Buttercream, Vanilla, Chocolate (and all it's variations), etc. It was near lunchtime, and I'd just had a fantastic Mel's Hot Dog in a poppyseed bun, smothered with sauerkraut (note the spelling).

I typed in "sauerkraut". It was taken. Arrrgh! Well, who knows how to spell anymore, right? So, I dropped the "e" and voila! It took the name!

The name's evolved over time, due to my friends and readers. I became Saur (I'm assuming my last name is Kraut). As you know (from an earlier post) Saur means "smoked" in French or it can simply mean "sour" here, which is sometimes a very appropriate description of me. The Kraut part isn't accurate in the least, as I'm scandinavian in ancestry, but what does it matter? Saur I remain, and Saur I shall forever be.

Ever Saurly Yours,
Saur

20 comments:

mikster said...

Much more inventive than just going...say with...Mike huh?...lol

Anonymous said...

I think Saurkraut is nirvana...LOL...best thing to ever hit a Brat besides the bun. I love the name. :)

Whistle Britches said...

That Aunt Josefina sure is nosy. What is it with her and asking questions all the time? Geez!

Some Random Girl said...

I do respect your anonymity....although, I must admit, as a blogger who posts her own picture on her blog...I am always curious to see what other people "really" look like. I definetly understand though, after my last little round with that crazy person! However, your blog is one of my favorites to read!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Some Random Girl, there are some people whom I blog with that know me, and have promised to uphold my anonymity. They'll be able to tell you that I look very similar to the cartoon-me. But I'm relatively well known in certain circles in this area, and I have a contractual agreement to be a good girl at all times with my former company (so that I can continue to do business with them) and therefore I'm very careful to keep anonymous. Of course, as I also said in my last post, I worry about protecting my son. His mother's mouth should never endanger him.

Mike, ;o)

Susie, from one rockin' mom to another(?)

Uncle Joe, I know, I can see why you love her! :D

TSB, thank you! Glad you've joined our little group, BTW.

Mike, :D Well, maybe your name is Alfred!

Deb said...

Yeah Mike---like "Deb" is so much better. Bleckk.....

One of my vices are hot dogs. I just can't resist a good weiner. OMG--did "I" just say THAT?

Hmm...

Love the name though!

Deb said...

Wait... On another note, I cannot see YOU being the 'anonymous' commenter. Just can't see it. Your opinions and views are way too strong to hide your identity as a 'blogger'. I'm glad you came out and created a blog. I find your writing and views so interesting. Some I agree with, and some I don't, but that's what keeps me coming back all the time.

Michael K. Althouse said...

Well! The answer to a question I never got around to asking. Thank you.

Although certain personal details (about each other) have been revealed through our coversations that are considerably less public, you're still saur to me! You know how much I respect your anonymity and you know why. I saw that one comment and felt something was just not right, but perhaps I was just mistaken.

To all who don't understand:
The bottom line is this: If I'm not sure, I keep my mouth shut (or my keyboard silent, as it were).

Fear not my dear friend saur, you're anonymity is safe with me!

~Mike

Ed said...

In order to preserve my anonymity, I often take advantage of yahoo email. Because of spam, I switch it quite often and had run out of unique names until I hit upon a solution. I just write down a random license plate number and use that as my ID.

michelle said...

Saur does look like her cartoon pic!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

You ain't all that sour, either, Ms. Kraut. You more like a gumdrop.

Paul Nichols said...

I like creative names--like yours.

In fact, for my next blog, I'm tossing a coin to choose between Chuck Roast or Tyrone Laces.

How's the family?

Jenn said...

I think sauerkraut should not be spelled with an e. It looks better without the e.

Maybe if more people ate sauerkraut it would have happened already, like the changes to the spellings of ketchup and bolony.

Ellen said...

You're Saur to me, and always will be. I come here because I love to read your posts, and I enjoy the comment section. You have quite a galley of fans!

Shame on whoever was trying to extract your real identity. If you wanted that information out there, you would have put it out yourself.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Suzy-Q said...

Hey Thanks Saur! I learned something new today.

Joe, i am NOT nosy....just curious about a lot of things.

High Power Rocketry said...

And it went on to become one of the most popular, best blogs ever.

Notsocranky Yankee said...

Cool story! My husband gave me my name so I didn't have to come up with anything.

Hope things are going better for you today. Hang in there :)

Lee Ann said...

It is funny that your topic is your name because of what I was thinking today.
I was in the shower saying my prayers, (I find it to be a nice place of solitude, where I can relax and collect my thoughts) and when I started praying for you and your family, I started to giggle. Not out of disrespect but because it sounded like this: "Dear Lord, please watch over Saur and her family. Please help Saur's father to fully recover from his heart attack..."
I honestly meant no disrespect, but as I was saying it, it made me giggle.
I just had to tell you when I saw your post in regards to your name.
I do hope your father is recovering nicely.

Suzy-Q said...

I pray for my blogger friends too Lee Ann....you all are as real to me as my friend next door. We talk about you all like you are here with us and laugh about your life and bear burdens with you too.

Scottage said...

What an awesome story! That's a great way to chose your name!!!