Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Gettin' Saur With It

Warning to Puritans and Men With Pacemakers: Hot Babe Below - Watch Out!

Out of sheer boredom the other day, I googled my name (Saur, of course!) I was surprised to find out that it means smoked in French. Pretty cool, huh? As in "I've saured the competition," "I saured him but good," and "I saured the whole cigar" (I'll bet Monica Lewinsky never admitted to that!)

I was especially impressed when I pulled up a French company named Saur with a kick-butt musical opening and beautiful graphics. So what if it's a wastewater treatment company? It's Saur! Who's tag line is "Harmony is the source of progress!" That's such a great fortune-cookie line that I might steal it myself, or work it into daily conversations. And their logo looks quite spanky, doesn't it?

I also discovered there's a professional bodybuilder named Monica Saur who is covered with muscles but still looks great in a swimsuit (as you can see). Gee...her pic was taken in front of a hay bale. It couldn't be an obvious play on "roll in the hay", could it?

I also found a Saur company in Brazil. They apparently lead very dull lives, and deal in tractors and other large, boring equipment. Their colorful map is cool, though, and has repeated squiggles that go through it.

Then of course you've heard of Saur Times, right? Yup, me neither. Maybe I should rename my site! Actually, I believe this is some sort of weird typefont that was developed by, you guessed it, someone with nothing better to do and lots of time on their hands.

I love the little plug from Ebay to the side of the search. It reads "Looking for Saur? Find exactly what you want today!" I think that's exceedingly hopeful. I'm just not that kinda girl.

Of course we Saurs are very important people, so there's a Saur Coat of Arms.

There's also a Saur Restaurant in the Netherlands with more fancypants graphics, though the theme song has developed a hiccup (maybe as a result of the food?). If one of us ever wins the lottery, we can fly over there for brunch. It claims it's the best restaurant in Europe, so I'm sure it's true.

There's a worm named VBS.saur.A, but we won't talk about such a Saur. It's beneath us. (Do you like the way I've acquired the royal "we"? This coat of arms is really getting to me).

But perhaps best of all, there's a Bible named after me: The Saur Bible. I'll bet you can't say that! It was the first European Bible printed in American in 1743. "Christoph Saur (1693–1758) printed the first European language Bible in America, using Fraktur (a German style of black letter) type obtained from the Luther Foundry of Frankfurt, Germany. It took three years to complete the printing and the edition was 1200 copies at a price of 18 shillings. For the poor, Saur wrote, 'we have no price'."

Now you know more about us Saurs than you'd ever hoped to. And I've discovered that I need to be charging royalties. I'm starting with the water treatment company first. I don't think the Saur Bible will pay off.

19 comments:

Deb said...

I had a feeling you wrote the bible...! ;)

Saur♥Kraut said...

*LOL* Goodness no. Too much responsibility for THIS kid. I'm lucky I can even figure parts of it out! :P

michelle said...

Ok, I googled the meaning of my name...

French: Who is like God?

Enough said.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Michelle, *LOL* The Red Headed Goddess, as you're affectionately known to Kid #1.

mal said...

SWEEEET!!!

*ducks*

michelle said...

That's Redheaded Goddess of Wisdom.
He started it not me.

For those that don't know, kid #1 thought he would be a smarty pants when he was in trouble and talk back. He said, "What are you the goddess of wisdom?" I said, "Now that you said it No, I am The Redheaded Goddess of Wisdom and you can call me that now instead of mom."

Last time I reminded him that is my name he said, can't I just be punished with chores or playing with my little brother instead.

Saur, I think you CAN get money from you name.

Anonymous said...

I love the little plug from Ebay to the side of the search. It reads "Looking for Saur? Find exactly what you want today!" I think that's exceedingly hopeful. I'm just not that kinda girl.


:D

Anonymous said...

What breezy brilliance! I think I'm in love. Marry me.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

So, then, tomorrow's post will be after you have Googled "kraut"?

Saur♥Kraut said...

Old Hoss, nope, I am content and am planning on resting on my laurels. ;o)

Suzie, glad you liked them! I love your blog, of course...

David & Diamond Girl, Welcome! ;o)

Michelle, ah yes. I stand corrected, Redheaded Goddess of Wisdom...

TC, mmm! Twinkies!

Mallory, *groan*

Ellen said...

I'm with tabasamu... I'll take the twinkie.

Lovely research on "saur"... you are so resourceful. That's why I keep coming here, as I learn something new everyday.

Jenn said...

The water treatment company logo is very nice.

Whistle Britches said...

You know I've always appreciated the Paur of Saur and your generous Saurcasm.

David, down boy. heel...

The Zombieslayer said...

My favorite Saur though (present company excluded) with always be saurkraut, especially with bratwursts, mash potatoes, and Shiner Boch beer. Yummy.

Best restaurant in Europe, huh? I'll have to try it.

Bryan said...

A coat of arms? Impressive, your highness! I suspected you might be of royal pedigree. Now I know.

Fred said...

Saur - this was an absolute hoot! Next time I pay my water bill, I'll think of you.

The Lazy Iguana said...

You really think that women jacked up on steroids look good?

Muscle tone is one thing, but putting a female head on a body that could belong to a dude is quite another.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Your intro had me all excited. Enjoyed the post but the intro was >deceiving>. Maybe if you had posed for the picture personally ?
;->

Ed said...

I thought I had once interviewed for a job at Saur but I googled it and saw that is was Sauer with an e in there. It is pronounced the same and that is 75% of the battle.