Pages

Monday, February 13, 2006

The Weirdest Marriage Proposal

In the spirit of Valentine's Day, I'm going to share one of the weirdest marriage proposals I've ever received.

When I was in my early 20s (in the 1990s) I worked for a major national corporation and part of my job duties required regularly flying to Miami. Sometimes I stayed overnight and once I even stayed there an entire month, living in one of the corporate condos on the beach. Yeah, yeah, it was a rough life. I was married at the time, however, and disliked the lengthy separations.

Anyway, one day I was at corporate headquarters in downtown Miami, and popped out for lunch. There was a very nice little 'food court' area nearby, it was a beautiful sunny day, and it was within easy walking distance.

A business man was standing on the teaming sidewalk. He was very expensively dressed and had an air of lese majeste about him. He looked like Julio Iglesias' twin. (Perhaps he was Julio, I don't know. I've never been a fan of arrogant, sun-fried men). Our eyes met, and he looked as if he'd been smacked upside the head by Magilla Gorilla.

I smiled pleasantly and nodded as I passed, and he fell into step with me. I don't remember how he struck up the conversation, but I think he began by asking directions somewhere. Not being from Miami, I couldn't help him at all, and told him so.

He had a very thick hispanic accent; the kind that makes some women swoon. "Where are you goink?" he asked, keeping pace with me.

"I'm heading for lunch," I said, still pleasant. Being younger then, I wasn't as adept at shaking someone off as I am now. I was still in a stage where being mannerly and friendly was of much greater importance than it is now.

"Why don' I join you?" he asked, smoothly.

"Um, OK," I said cautiously. I knew I was going to be eating in a very public place. "I'm married," I added, hastily.

"Oh zat ees of no matter," he said, smiling a toothy grin. "Eet ees only lunch." Which, I told myself, was entirely true. My husband ate lunch with female friends, I had lunch with guy friends, what was the big deal?

We had a nice, casual lunch in the middle of a vast food court, open to a sunny sky. We chatted about this and that. I never quite got what he was in Miami for (could've been drug running, for all I know). When we were done eating, I politely excused myself.

"Oh, let me walk you back," he offered.

"Please don't trouble yourself," I said with forced gaiety.

"Oh no, no. But I in-seest!" he said, gallantly. So, we traipsed back to my office. Just before we reached the office, he gently took my arm and pulled me over to a bench, asking me to sit down.

"I want to tell you somesink," he announced, solemnly. "I want you to marry me and haf my babiez."

RAR?

"Well, heh heh, that's kind of hard to do, seeing as I'm already married," said smooth-tongued Saur, nervously.

"Ah but zat ees not a problem," he said.

"Er, well, it is for me, though..." I answered wittily, looking desperately about for someone I knew who could extricate me from this.

"Ah well, why don' you zink about eet and let me know?" he suggested, handing me his card. I hastily jumped up, relieved at being let off so lightly, and thanked him politely for the proposal just as I'd thank old Mrs. O'Hara for a plate of homemade cookies.

I bolted for the corporate offices and threw the business card in the first trashcan I could find. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Of course for the rest of the day, I had to regale all my colleagues with a re-enactment of that awkward moment and for months evereebodee talked like zees...

So here is my advice to you today: If you're planning on proposing to your honey this Valentine's Day, make sure you've known her for at least 24 hours, first. And don't use a cheesy accent.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

No matter what, it must have been nice to know you were still desirable to someone else ...you go girl!!!! :)

Saur♥Kraut said...

TSB, well, that is certainly ONE way to look at it... ;o)

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

LOL...

Being desired and wanted, even in those circumstances, still is flattering.

Julio has an amazing voice! (had)

Anonymous said...

Too funny for words. One of lifes priceless lessons! LOL

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

HA HA HA!

Brilliant!

Ted said...

He proposed to me later that day so don't get the big head.

The Zombieslayer said...

So here is my advice to you today: If you're planning on proposing to your honey this Valentine's Day, make sure you've known her for at least 24 hours, first. And don't use a cheesy accent.

D'oh!

Just kidding. Been married for quite some time now. Agreed the cheesy accent doesn't work. One needs an accent like that guy in Gotcha.

Michael K. Althouse said...

As I've already spilled to the blog world, I don't do accents - cheesy or otherwise. As far as marriage, so far I'm 0 and 1.

Funny story though, and I liked the way you portray the accent in writing.

~Mike

Ed said...

Gosh, the man doesn't pull any cheesy pickup lines on you because he knew you would shoot him down so what option did he have left but to propose? As I see it, he had no choice!

mal said...

no cheesy accent? I had better warn the OH not to talk like some one from behind the "Cheddar Curtain"

BTW, did Julio Wannabe get bonus points for Chutzpah? Did he lose style points for the accent? *L*

Great story

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Saur,

I forgot to wish you a Happy Valentine's Day.

Thank you for all your kind words and thoughts this past week.

You are a sweetheart!

You might like my Valentine's Day post. It is different!

Whistle Britches said...

Mon Dieu! Sawurrrr? Je vous aime.


On reconnait l'arbre a ses fromage.!....!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

But, but, you're not married now, are you? So, where's that card?

(Heh. Hoss 1, Saur 0)

Jessica said...

I wonder if he had cards made just for his proposals.

michelle said...

HA HA HA!

Fred said...

Saur, I'm sure you and I have crossed paths without ever knowing it. I was a regular at Monty's and all the restaurants in Coconut Grove; I'm sure you and I were at the same places. (Maybe not at the same time. :))

Love this post. Have a Happy Valentine's Day! I'll be gone for the rest of the week, so have a great one.

Jenn said...

wow, that is totally bizarre.

Ellen said...

Very funny! I liked that you gave such a visual and audio impression of the guy.
Glad to hear that you didn't need to "zink about eet".

Dave said...

Saur,

That is indeed a weird story. When I see a hot babe on the street I ponder whether she is wild in bed. To think that this Dude cared enough to ask you to marry him is very touching.

Lee Ann said...

Oh, zat ees so swet.
I love zat stooree!

Scottage said...

Saur,

Awesome story, but you should have kept the card. It's always worth while to have a backup.

So tell is, this was proposal #2 of 50 or what?

Three Score and Ten or more said...

snort. I thought the accent was a cute one. Just goes to show you that some folks don't appreciate art.

Bryan said...

I'm sure he recognized you as a real catch. Good for you for not failing your husband, though.

Happy Valentines Day to you and yours, Saur.

chosha said...

Zat ees a rollicking good story! ^_^

Eddo said...

ha ha... that eees funny!