Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Woman in the Pantsuit at Church

Remember, click on the cartoon to enlarge it.


I'm as native as they usually get. I remember when Pinellas County was still in its awkward growth stages. In 30 years, it's gone from being (at best) a suburban area to a sprawling amalgam of towns and cities which is essentially a metropolis. But when I was a little girl in the 1970s, there were still pockets of the deep south here.

One Sunday when I was probably about 6-8 years old, my parents decided to go try out a different church than the one they normally went to. I was relatively young, but I'll never forget this.

Now, in the 70s you always dressed for church down here. I was a tomboy and hated getting into those darned dresses, but my mom and I wore our pretty dresses with itchy slips underneath, and Dad and the boys wore suit pants and dress shirts with ties.

I remember standing in a line of people waiting to get in to this old, white clapboard church. We stood on the wooden steps behind a well-dressed lady in a beautiful white pantsuit. I studied the cracks in the wood and the crazing in the green paint on the steps while we waited. The pretty lady talked for a little while with the men at the door, and then suddenly turned and walked away.

I tugged on my dad's arm and asked "Daddy, why did she go?"

"They wouldn't let her in because she was wearing pants," whispered my dad.

"What?" I asked, astonished. "Don't they think she needs Jesus too?" We never went back to that church.

We discussed it later on and my parents explained that she was rejected based on a misinterpreted passage of scripture. Since that church used the King James Version (KJV) as most did back then, I'll quote from the KJV, Deut. 22:5:

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Of course the woman was wearing a pantsuit, off the rack, purchased in the women's department. However, they thought it pertained to menswear. Contrast that with the New American Standard Version (NAS):

A woman shall not wear man's clothing, nor shall a man put on a woman's clothing; for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD your God.

Incidentally, when I was growing up, most people still used the King James version here. When I was hunting down that scripture verse, I happened across Leviticus 18:23 today in the KJV:

... A woman must not present herself to an animal to have sexual relations with it; that is a perversion.

And could only picture a woman being formally presented to a goat, and solemnly shaking hooves/hands with it. This is why I don't think anyone should bother using the KJV any more when there are so many vastly superior translations (and the majority of theologians and scholars agree with me).

17 comments:

mal said...

wellllll, I am socially very liberal, but I would not want my daughters dating outside their species. I guess I am just a bit reactionary on the topic....

As regards the cartoon, the mind set reminds of the logic most muslim males use to force the wearing of the "Burkha" on women. Knuckleheads abound

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I'm wish Mallory...To date outside one's species is definitely a no-no...

Thanks for the laugh today, Saur!

Have a good Sunday.

Notsocranky Yankee said...

I think it's interesting that anyone felt it necessary to write that verse regarding animals. Maybe it was more of a problem in those days.

My mother used to make me and my 3 sisters wear dresses to church when we lived in CT. We moved to a small NH vacation town when I was 6 yrs old and I remember going to church right after skiing, still in ski clothes. (I think the church liked the additional money no matter what clothes were worn.)

Ellen said...

Dress here too.... and gloves and hat. Females weren't allowed into a Catholic church unless you had some kind of head covering. If you forgot to bring yours, they had a little stash of veils you were allowed to use.
Of course, that was back in the archaic 60's. I was a little girl then, but the tradition trickled down the ranks.

Dave said...

Saur,

Excellent post, thought provoking indeed.

I study the NIV but the KJV makes some valid arguments. I was just a lad when I was pulled into the women and animals initiative, which blossomed out of the competitiveness of the State Fair System. The early 4H clubs were dominated by males and quite frankly discriminated against women. When I insisted that women be given equal rights with showing animals I didn’t realize the can of worms that I was opening.

Women have the ability to connect with animals far better than men. I was initially pleased with the progress of the women handlers until one dark and stormy night I was checking on the llamas and I witnessed bonding of animal and woman.

This took me by surprise but not being one to give up on the human race I got to thinking. That next year I introduced clogging to the young women of the 4H clubs. Clogging seemed to get the ladies minds off the animals. Now some people claim that clogging was the impetus for lesbianism, but I’m a little embarrassed to take full credit.

Anonymous said...

Mallory has summed it up nicely. Mr. Gator, however . . . well, what can you say for Mr. Gator. You gotta love him!

Whistle Britches said...

I wish I were allowed to wear head covering. Less shiny that way.
One of the reasons I/we left our old church were the KJ Onlyists who suddenly reared their ugly head and wouldn't shut up about it.
The last straw was during a "revival" when a visiting preacher forced most of us to a 2 1/2 hour rant about why we should all be KJ Onlyists.
We have a guy at our current church who is the self appointed coffe police. Don't you dare bring coffee into the sanctuary.
The brick building is too holy for coffee evidently. Where did you find that talking goat. I have a relative I want to introduce.......

Michael K. Althouse said...

I wonder... how do they feel about kilts??

~Mike

Jenn said...

I wonder if they would have let in a man wearing the same pantsuit. That would be an interesting experiment.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

I confess that I prefer the KJV, I just love the language. (but then I grew up acting Shakespeare). As for the content, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. Or maybe I should rephrase that?

Bar L. said...

Wow, I remember going to church with an itchy slip and and patent leather shoes with "anklet" socks. We had to wear this lacy thing on our heads too. I am glad times have changed....or have they?

Jessica said...

I'm wearing my husband's shirt as I read this. Ironically, it's because I'm pregnant and don't have maternity pj's. So if your girlishness makes you turn to men's clothing, is that ok? I'd never survive in that church. I'm guessing they don't have unisex bathrooms either.

Bryan said...

An interesting post. The Middle Eastern culture may also have something to do with that verse. (Deut. 22:5:).

Anonymous said...

Dating outside the species.....hmmmmm.....the species is looking pretty pitiful right now, but I know I am not THAT desperate....LOL

Whistle Britches said...

ps. I've recently (last 10 yrs) seen kids turned away from Vacation Bible School.
The generation of goons that didn't let them in will soon be gone...

The Lazy Iguana said...

What about the preachers who wear those long flowing "robes" that look an awful lot like dresses to me!

Some of us humans left the stone age thousands of years ago, others choose to remain in place.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site.I used information from that site its great.
medical malpractice suits Bra car lexus