Pages

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Easter Bonnets

In your Easter bonnet, with all the frills upon it
You'll be the grandest gal in the Easter parade.
I'll be all in clover, and when they look us over
We'll be the proudest couple in the Easter parade.
-Irving Berlin's "Easter Parade" (1948)

Easter bonnets have been a tradition for Easter for as long as women have worn hats. The Easter Parade came later: It began in the 1870s and still continues today in some cities. Women promenaded about, displaying their Easter finery like proud male peacocks. I'm sporting a petite Flamenco hat here, also known as a "pert hat", which was popular in the late 1930s.

Easter Bonnets are a throw back to the days when the people denied themselves the pleasure of wearing finery for the duration of Lent. Then on Easter Sunday, everyone ate, drank, and wore whatever they enjoyed.

It's been said that adorning our hair with chaplets of leaves and flowers was the beginning of the Easter Bonnet. Young girls, and even boys, would wear the first signs of Spring to celebrate its arrival. The pagan beginnings of May Day (along with the May Pole) were on May 1st. This celebration of Spring was frowned upon by the Puritans, which is why I suppose most (or all) of us Americans have never seen a May Pole here.

One memorable Easter was the Easter just after the Civil War was ended. That day, many women celebrated by wearing bonnets which were covered in all sorts of showy materials, such as feathers, shells, colorful ribbons, netting, and I've even seen pictures of entire stuffed birds perched up there. It's not a pretty sight (as you can see).

We've grown away from wearing hats entirely, with the exception of a short-lived fad in the 80s which is probably best forgotten. But sometimes I long for the days of Eliza Doolittle's scrumptious hats. If you'd like one, there is a haberdasher that reproduces them. Go here to feast your eyes on them!

Hat Works is the UK’s premier museum dedicated to the hatting industry, hats and headwear. Located in a former Victorian hat factory, Hat Works has 3 floors of informative fun including guided tours of working millinery machinery, to reconstructed hatters cottage, office and shop plus a giant gallery of hats, family fun area, shop and café.

If you're consumed by the need to make one yourself, I've found a fascinating site here which has even the forms needed to create your custom design! Who knew? Just remember, if you make the hat only, you're a hatter. If you decorate it, you become a milliner. And just be glad that hatters don't work with lead-based materials any more, or you'd become "mad as a hatter", too!

19 comments:

Miss Cellania said...

The tradition is still alive here, just not for Easter. A lot of folks get a Kentucky Derby Hat.

Lila said...

Interesting post. Yeah, I have wondered about Easter bonnets. Mine would probably be a Red Sox cap.

Miss Cellania said...

I must say, the one you have on your little avatar is rather fetching.

Jamie Dawn said...

I actually really like hats, but I rarely wear them.
I have a few of my Gramillo's hats from her modeling days. They are so precious to me.
Maybe I'll see some Easter hats tomorrow at church.
I used to wear hats more often, and I have pics of my hat wearing days.
Maybe some day, I will get an urge to start wearing them again.
That bird hat is WAY over the top! Some netting, a few small flowers or some feathers is quite enough.

Happy and Blessed Easter to you and your family.

Bryan said...

Saur,wishing you and yours a Happy Easter/Resurrection Day and may you know Him in the power of His Resurrection!

Ellen said...

A very Happy Easter/ Happy Spring to you and yours!

Tim said...

The Easter immediately after the Civil War ended was a day of mourning for the country, because Lincoln had been shot on Good Friday and died on Saturday morning. I just posted a bit about this....

Dave said...

Saur,

I never really noticed how blue your eyes are until you sported your Easter bonnet.

Nihilistic said...

No Easter Bonnet for me I'm afraid...I do miss getting easter baskets though...Mmmm...Candy

Notsocranky Yankee said...

I'm not much for Easter bonnets but I will have a hat on today. I'm in Germany and will be flying home today, wearing a rather unattractive black hat that is part of my uniform. I don't like getting hathead!

Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

It is one of those things I admire on others and don't wear myself.

Happy Easter!

michelle said...

Happy Easter Everyone!

TLP said...

I actually like hats, but I don't look good in them. I think people with longer necks carry off hats better.

I have a Stetson that I bought in Sedona AZ. The sun was so strong there.

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Love your post, and your icon with the bonnet!

Wishing you,andyour family, all the very best today, Saur

AQ said...

Happy Easter!

Fred said...

Have a wonderful Easter, Saur. It's a great day down here to get out and enjoy the terrific weather.

Paul Nichols said...

Hope your Easter is a happy one. Ours was...is.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Paul, and to you and yours!

Fred, it WAS gorgeous, wasn't it? Happy Easter to you and yours!

Always Questioning, and to you and yours!

Barbara, Thank you! And a Happy Passover and to you and yours!

TLP, I love the elegantly floppy, large ones the best.

Michelle, and to you and yours!

Kathleen, I suppose I'd happily wear them if others were. But you always look like an oddity when you're one of only a couple, at best. Happy Easter!

Notsocranky, which is why I don't really like wearing hats! Hat Hair!

Nihilistic! treat yourself tomorrow, when everything's on sale!

Mr. Gator, why thank you! I think your teeth are looking exceptionally sharp and shiny today, also! I think the pink bunny ears really set them off.

Mr. Fabulous, well, you DID just win Sexiest Blogger...

Green, I must've been misinformed! Maybe it was the year after that, then...

Ellen, and to you and yours!

Bryan, and a Happy Easter to you, too! And I believe that I do! ;o)

Jamie Dawn, I don't think I realized your Grandma was a model. Did she model hats or entire outfits? Tell me more! And Happy Easter to you and yours!

Miss C, Thank you! I rather liked it. It took some work getting it right, lemme tell ya! And you should take pics of the people in the Kentucky Derby hats!

Reverberate, It's smart to wear them outdoors. Your grandma sounds like MINE, but she never wore gloves. Of course we lived down here, so she still had the gloves from when she lived up north but it was always more casual here and she never wore them that I remember. But she DID wear a fetching pillbox hat to my wedding...

Suzie, I think I'd avoid hats if I were you, then. But you have great hair anyway!

AP3, nothing wrong with that! And for Easter, you could glue some jellybeans to it!

Kristie said...

i am tagging you.!! sorry, but i had to pick someone...6 strange facts/habits/things about you!