Pages

Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Trip to St. Augustine, Part 3

There were two park benches at our hotel, one green, one red. Since I had bought tickets for the red train (which is really a type of bus, SaurKid pointed out loftily) we waited on the red bench. These trains cycle through the route every 15 minutes, so we hitched a ride almost immediately. Instead of going out the front entrance we had arrived through, however, we went through the back entrance and turned onto this street:

Here is what it looks like as you get closer to the end of the road in the opposite direction of The Fountain of Youth:

This sort of view is not uncommon; we have a couple similar streets in the Tampa Bay Area, too.

When we found out we were staying so closely to The Fountain of Youth, we joked about how elderly guests would be able to climb the walls at night and gorge themselves on the water. (The picture to your right is the sign you see if you're approaching The Fountain of Youth from the main road).

We arrived, paid our entrance fees, and were told that we were lucky enough to be on time for our tour. We were hustled into a large barn-like building, and the tour guide began to tell us the history of The Fountain of Youth (America's first historical site):

"The Fountain of Youth National Archaeological Park in St. Augustine is the site where Spanish conquistadors first came ashore in what is now the continental United States. On April 3, 1513, in the season of "Pascua Florida" - as Easter Season is known in Spanish (meaning Feast of Flowers) - Ponce de Leon expedition sighted land in the present locality of St. Augustine and named it La Florida.

Aside from the stone cross and salt cellar (both from 1513) which are housed in the spring house, five other areas of importance are listed:

1) Ponce de Leon recording landmark and accompanying artifacts
2) First Christian Indian burials in North America with Mission Period interments
3) Timucua Indian hut foundations and relics
4) Artifacts indicating Timucua habitation for more than 1,000 years prior to Ponce de Leon's arrival
5) Evidence that Pedro Menendez's colony occupied the site during the 16th century."


The whole legend of The Fountain of Youth sprang from the belief that the Indians (who were twice as tall and lived twice as long) were on to something. "Must be in the water!" said Ponce, who brought back kegs of it to Spain.

On another note, it's kind of sad, really, to see the cross and the spring from 1513 now sheltered in a barnlike structure when it was part of a lovely park-like setting many years ago (as you can see in the picture from the old postcard). Of course I understand they wanted to preserve it, but I would have left the outdoor setting in place and encased it in a plexiglass case, instead.

After we left The Fountain of Youth, we were taken to a small museum of no consequence, where we ended up waiting in a panic to see if we'd catch the last train or not after we discovered they stop running at 4 PM (we caught the last one, thankfully). We went back to the hotel, got the car, and headed into the city to take a bunch of sightseeing photos. I'll share those with you tomorrow, along with my artistic find and The Ghost Tour that evening.

I hope this isn't getting boring; I notice the comments are dropping off during this little tour of ancient Florida.

25 comments:

Bryan said...

Wow. Would you look at those beautiful trees overhanging the road. What an enchanting place to visit.

The architecture of that bridge is amazing.

mal said...

I would not worry about the comments dropping off unless we were getting paid to blog....besides I am learning things about GatorLand I never new

Miss Cellania said...

Not boring at all! I didn't know there was a real fountain; I was under the impression it was just a myth. See, ya learn something every day! I want a swimsuit like the woman in the postcard. No, really I just a butt like hers.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Mallory, true! I'm not getting paid in cash, but I'm getting paid in interraction, and I really enjoy a lively discussion. I suppose it's difficult to get controversial over St. Augustine unless I talk about the Spanish vs. the natives, and it was relatively peaceful.

Reverberate, it's addicting! I want to go somewhere again THIS weekend! The weather's just so PERFECT for it now!

Bryan, It IS a gorgeous bridge. I believe it was built in the 1800s because for years ferries took guests between the hotel in this area and the mainland. The trees are so very relaxing and peaceful, aren't they?

Saur♥Kraut said...

Miss C, Yeah, I never had a butt that good! I'm way too J-Lo. The swimsuit is a hoot, isn't it? Notice that she has "bells on"???

Anonymous said...

You know that I love this stuff. I say MORE! While I have visited St. Augustine several times, I never went to the Fountain of Youth or Ripleys Believe it or Not.

I may go visit the fountain of youth on my next visit.

Saur, do you enjoy Bill Murphy's day trip episodes? We also have a guy on WEDU who does shows on Florida spots of interest. No apologies, I love that stuff. :o)

Saur♥Kraut said...

Kathleen, you know, it's weird but I watch so little TV, I always miss that kind of stuff. I probably WOULD really enjoy them if I ever remembered to turn the TV on. The Fountain of Youth was worth it, IMHO, because of it's incredible historic significance. But there isn't much to do there, unless you're content to wander about a little bit and rest in the shade. You know, we missed Ripley's and everyone was SO disappointed, but we'll go back in the summer to see it. I understand it's different than the Ripley's in Orlando.

Saur♥Kraut said...

I DID hear something about that, but we only had 2 days to explore. There's mention of it in the main fort, and I understand that slaves were given the chance to be freed men (when and if they got to Florida) if they would just convert to Catholicism and become part time militia for the Spanish.

High Power Rocketry said...

I love any road that has trees totally covering it. That is a great looking one.

Grant said...

Did you get any good looting done? :p

Deb said...

That is absolutely gorgeous driving through there! Now if only I can get my saggin' ass into that fountain of youth, I'd be alright! ;)

Paul Nichols said...

Y'know...it's about time I took another trip to that fountain. The water's tasty. It will be my third trip since Tom Jefferson was running the country...

Jamie Dawn said...

I guess this means that my order for one gallon of precious youth-giving water will not be filled.
Darn it!

Kristie said...

I have lived here in FL for so many years and havent yet made it to St. Augustine. I still want to go someday and i am enjoying reading about your trip there. I dont find it boring at all. Looking forwatd to the pics and the Ghost tour!

Anonymous said...

We went to St Augustine last year and loved it! I've read all your posts on your trip and they, along with the photos, bring back some nice memories. Only thing we didn't do is the ghost tour, because our kids were too young.

And the Orlando traffic -- yes, I unfortunately driev on the I-4 nightmare every day. I'm used to it, but would certainly love a shorter commute.

Ellen said...

I did do the Ripley's tour when I was there years ago, and it was interesting to see the oddities they had displayed. A thing for you to put on the list for the next visit!

We also had the chance to travel on the tree tunnel road.... simply beautiful, no doubt.

Glad you had a chance to squeeze in so much in such a short amount of time.... and I look forward more pictures and stories tomorrow!

Heather said...

I like the history of it all and I love the pictures. The tree lined roads are such a southern thing. Always makes me thing of plantations and Georgia and the such. Towering pines just don't give quite the same effect.

That's a bummer about it all being in a barn. See, if they had just asked you, they would be so much better off.

Tim said...

It's nice to see places that are far away from where you live (for me anyway) Keep it up.

Lila said...

Those trees over the road really are beautiful!

The Lazy Iguana said...

You think St Augustine is ancient huh?

Ever been to "Century Village" in Pembroke Pines?

And speaking of old, the oldest building in North America is in (of all places) North Miami. There is a Spanish Monastery dating to the 10th century. It was imported in 1925 by William Hearst, arriving in some 11,000 containers.

http://www.spanishmonastery.com/history.asp

AQ said...

I love St. Augustine. Been there for kids field trips and on our own with the family. If you have a good "train" driver, you can learn all sorts of facinating things about the city.

The Lightner Museum is one of my favorite places. Not so much because of the stuff in there, but because of the history of the building itself. Same goes for Flagler college, although I've never taken the tour.

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Wow...Sounds as if you are having the time of your life.

Those photographs of the trees, and the red train are fantastic.

Thanks for sharing.

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

...forgot to add, those trees on the road are absolutly beautiful!!!

Meow (aka Connie) said...

I am really enjoying your story ... thank you so much for taking the time to include all this information. For an Aussie like me, places like that are a long-long way away !! One day .....
Take care, Meow

Saur♥Kraut said...

Meow, but you have beautiful and incredible treasures, and an amazing history there. I'd love to learn more about where you live!

Barbara, trees like that are always so incredible to drive through.

AlwaysQ , I wanted to go to the Lightner Museum and ran out of time! This summer we'll go!

Lazy Iguana, very interesting! But it isn't really the oldest one that was built in America. So I don't think it counts. After all, does the London Bridge (which is now somewhere in the desert) count as one of our oldest bridges?

Mr. Fabulous, why were you disappointed in the museum? Isn't it as good or better than the Orlando version? I actually didn't mind the water. But maybe that's cuz our water tastes like it?

AP3 aren't they?

Green, so glad you've enjoyed it!

Heather, I know! In fact, if most people would ask for my opinion first, things would run much smoother around here.

Ellen, I know. It's amazing how much we squeezed in, isn't it???

Susie, what? People thrive on controversy? ;o) Glad you're enjoying it.

Monique, how can you stand it???

KristieD, you need to take Dylan and have fun!

Jamie Dawn, sorry. I should've taken orders before I left.

Paul, you know, I sensed you were that old. Kidding!

Deb, is was gorgeous! You don't need the fountain of youth yet, though, hon.

Grant, no, but I was tempted!

Alex, and it's even more breathtaking when you're there!