Pages

Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Trip to St. Augustine: The Final Chapter

After our trip to The Castillo de San Marcos on Sunday morning, we headed over to Old City, the oldest part of St. Augustine. It used to be residential (many homes were built in the early 1700s) and is now primarily converted to shops. Here are some great pictures and information on one of the oldest homes there. There is a lot of dispute as to which one is the oldest home because (though the city was founded in 1565) the present homes were constructed in the 1700s and up and there weren't good records kept of their construction.

We had to get out of the area, since the Easter Parade was due to start around 2 PM and if we got caught we wouldn't be able to get out until 5 PM. Since we wanted to head home before that, we left, and made a detour to the St. Augustine Lighthouse and Museum. The picture to the right wasn't taken by us, but it shows the lighthouse with the little house attached (remember the orb photo in my ghost post?).

Here's a bird's eye view, which shows the lighthouse keeper's home in front of the tower and courtyard. Again, this wasn't taken by us, but it shows the entire layout.

Remember that I have acrophobia; a fear of heights. But I also wanted SaurKid to see the view without showing my terror. And studies show that children "learn" your fears, so if you want them to avoid being plagued by the same fears, you need to conceal those fears. Until now, he never knew of my fear.

There are 219 steps from the bottom of the lighthouse to the top. "Piece of cake!" I kept telling myself, knowing that de-sensitization is one of the best ways to handle a phobia. That worked for the first 100 steps or so.

When both my legs and mind started cramping up, I had to pause on a landing. I also began to grow panicky, worrying that something might happen and SaurKid might plunge to his death. I'd like to claim I was noble enough to care what happened to anyone else, but I wasn't, and I admit it. It's a mother's instinct, I suppose.

So I began nagging everyone, making them stay directly in front of or behind me. And we had frequent stops where I was plastered up against the landing, facing the remaining stairs like a cat faces water. So at this point, it was obvious to SaurKid that Something Was Not Quite Right With Mom. I gave up, and confessed my phobia. I also told him why I'd been concealing it for so long, and I was determined to beat it. We struggled the rest of the way up. (Note: *I* was not brave enough to take any of these shots! My ex-boyfriend took them).



As we circled around the tower, most people easily walked around each other. I moved, crablike, with my back to the center at all times. People laughingly (and sympathetically) got out of my way so that I could continue moving, uninterrupted. This was good, because the only other alternative would have been to throw them plunging to their deaths (and this was within the realm of possibility for me).

Getting back down was the hard part. That's when our legs started cramping and it was almost physically impossible to push them to do their duty. But I was determined to get to the bottom as fast as I could. If there'd been a fireman's pole, I would've taken it all the way down. When we finally made it to the bottom, I joked about kissing the ground (and seriously considered it for a moment).

We made a brave attempt to visit the lightkeeper's house, but our legs were too sore and kept cramping. We finally limped back to the car.

Remember how I mentioned in my first post that I drive stick shift? This involves a lot of leg movement and compressions. Well, I had a deadline to beat. We couldn't take our time to get home, because SaurKid's father was picking him up that night. It took a couple hours for the leg cramps to subside. Needless to say, I dumped the clutch a lot. But no one said anything. They'd already been warned. Don't mess with a woman who's fought acrophobia when everyone's survived the experience so far!

We stopped at The Branch Ranch just before we got home, for some good old fashioned country cooking. Because it was Easter, they did "family style" that night, and brought massive serving dishes of sweet potatoes, pole beans with ham, chicken pot pie, corn on the cob, biscuits, homemade pickles, ham, fried chicken, and coconut cake. It was probably one of the best Easter dinners we've ever had.

21 comments:

Grant said...

I like your vacation tales and pics, except for the American food. I had fish and rice at Umezono for Easter, and it was also the best Easter dinner I'd ever had. Although, if you're going to eat Southern comfort food, that sounds like the way to do it.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Grant, I hate most American food because it's usually bland, greasy, and cooked with no imagination. But I make the exception for good southern cooking and soul food. I need spices!

Anonymous said...

You and I share the phobia. I discovered that I can handle the height much better if no one is around me. I have nearly gone out of control at heights when there are people moving around me. I have discovered that I don't trust all those people. They might bump me and send me flying off the edge. Sound a little crazy?

I really loved the tour. And, what better way to end the trip than with a dinner at Branch Ranch. Yum! I'm suprised you got in on Easter without reservations.

michelle said...

Awesome Easter gettaway!

PS. You are a brave one!

mal said...

sounds like it was a great trip!

you have my sympathies on the acrophobia and bonus points to you for working your way thru it. Some of the fears of others seem silly until we recognize that some of ours may be viewed similarly. I have ridden crane lifts off of boats and platforms and they do not bother me, but put me in a crowd and I go crazy. The OH spends a lot of time keeping me calm when we do that. Like you, I never communicated it to our daughters. I am sure they will develop enough phobias with out my help!!

dddragon said...

That lighthouse looks alot like the one at Cape Hatteras! I've been up a few lighthouses because I'm married to a lighthouse nut. The one at Currituck is just five steps short of St. Augustine - I'll have to post pics of Nod and the girls there sometime.

AQ said...

In my family, I am the lighthouse nut. My favorite so far, is the Ponce deLeon Lighthouse.

www.ponceinlet.org/

I am not afraid of heights but when my children get near a railing or the edge of someplace high up, I do have a small anxiety attack. But only when THEY get near an edge. I can go to the edge with no problem.

Dave said...

Speaking of heights, my friends and I use to take the Hobe to Caladesi and we would always climb the fire tower. The tower had a sign that read, “Climb at your own Risk” for a good reason. I had a step break on me and because I wasn’t wearing a shirt I lost half of my right nipple. Just thinking about it makes me cringe.

I’ve been trained to read peoples eyes and I must say you see a lot of terror when climbing that St. Augustine lighthouse. I always loved giving the bad kids my I’m thinking about throwing you over the rail look.

Thanks for the walking gator icon. I had seen it before but thought changing icons was a woman thing. I guess since I’m metro-sexual I’ll try it for a while.

Isn’t wonderful that Kathleen at her age can still type?

Deb said...

This reminds me of the vacation that my girlfriend and I took in the Hamptons. There was this lighthouse we were going to see. She is fascinated with lighthouses—so I decided to take her. Half of the lighthouse was a museum too. Then there was an option to climb the stairs all the way to the top. I said, “Hey! Let’s go!” And usually---she’s the brave one. The stairs were only tiny little boards spiraling up this narrow tube into the sky. The railing was only a rope. Talk about holding on for dear life! My legs were shaking as I climbed up—and when people passed me going down, it was a huge fiasco to do it.

Love these photos and the trip sounds spectacular!

AQ said...

Back when you could still go to the crown in the Statue of Liberty, I climbed that. Again, I'm not afraid of heights, BUT I thanked God dozens of times that my kids were not with me.

For those who've never been: it starts out wide and staircase-like (in the base area) and gets narrower and steeper and you're on a spiral staircase of metal where you can see all the way down to the bottom but it looks bottomless. I frequently looked around for things to grab onto if the staircase was to collapse.

http://www.endex.com/gf/buildings/
liberty/solgallery/solgalleryfree
.htm

Brianne said...

wow.. it all looks so beautiful! What I wouldn't give to be anywhere NEAR a beach right now.. however, around Memorial Day I may be visiting family in Pensacola!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us all!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Brianne, Pensacola has gorgeous beaches. You would enjoy it there. I don't recall their having any famous or interesting landmarks, however, but I could be mistaken (and the beaches are enough!)

Always Questioning, My parents are from NY and both have been in the light, but of course I haven't, since I grew up here. My only chance to go to see the Statue was on a foggy day in 1984, and mom decided it wasn't worth going to see, since there'd be nothing to see. Thanks for the link. I looked over the pics. I think the biggest problem with such shots is that they don't convey the sheer, hellish drop which is achievable. You'd have to have a 360 degree photo for that! I've never seen or heard of the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse; it's very elegant, isn't it? Now that I know of it, we will hunt it down when we're in that area. Thanks for the tip!

Deb, glad you liked it! If we don't get up there, maybe you guys should head down here for vacation! You'd love it!

Gator, you made me really laugh hard over this one. I know some kids that should be thrown over the railing. You know, I've never been up in that lighthouse, but I keep meaning to go! Maybe we'll do that next weekend!

Dddragon, yeah, the boyfriend is a lighthouse nut, too! I'm hoping the rest are a little shorter, though... ;o)

Mallory, you're right; it's very easy to be unsympathetic when we can't identify with a phobia. I have to fight that, when I end up counseling anyone with a phobia. You want to say "Aw, get over it!" If they could, they would, of course. :D Fear of crowds can be tough; good thing you don't live in New York, Miami, or Orlando!

Michelle, it was fun. I was quaking, though! I mean, I've got it so bad that I can watch a movie with a falling scene or a dangling-from-heights-scene and it gives me the willies. It comes from a situation my father and I were in when I was a kid, mountain climbing. I'll talk about it another time.

Kathleen, it doesn't sound crazy at all! I feel exactly the same way. I think I would panic and could very well push someone to keep them from pushing me over. So I stayed well to myself. I was surprised we got in that easily, too! I think most of their crowd must've been around lunch time. Oh, see my comment to Michelle about my acrophobia.

Bryan said...

My, oh, my. You certainly were the busy little beaver with your camera.

Some great pics and stories, saur.

Jamie Dawn said...

You made it to the top!!!!!!
I know that was quite an accomplishment, even if all you cared about was getting back on the ground.
The pics your boyfriend took are great. What a beautiful view from up there. I think your son will admire you for telling him of your fear, and he may be instrumental in helping you face it.
All in all, your trip sounds like it was a goodie!

Lee Ann said...

Looks like it was a marvelous trip. Oh, and congrats on getting those frat boys to hush (from post below)!

Nihilistic said...

"You make kitty scared" has completly distracted me from your story...I have to go back and re-read it! Hehe

Anonymous said...

"Isn’t wonderful that Kathleen at her age can still type? "

She can't, I get stuck doing all the damn typing and now I suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome. I wish she would stop being so prolific! I would have to do less typing if she would only quit giving water skiing lessons to Wikki Watchi's Senior Sirens Ski Team and her nighttime efforts to capture and relocate nuisance gators.

Jenn said...

That Branch Ranch looks like a perfect place for a holiday meal.

I'd love to walk around that old town. Once my husband had a job offer in Orlando. It would have been interesting to live in Florida.

Ellen said...

Great vacation story and pictures, and I applaud your efforts to make the climb up the lighthouse. You are a real trooper!

I don't suffer from height phobias,
and have no idea how my son does.
because I've never been afraid to be *up*. On the other hand, I am deathly afraid of rats and snakes, and they don't bother him at all.
Somehow my phobias never rubbed off on him.

By the way... lovely pictures that were taken. I swear they make you feel like you're right there!

Glad it all turned out well for Easter dinner... nothing better than good old southern comfort food to top off a nice weekend!

Sorry I haven't been around this weekend. Between work and work, I am just getting around to reading the last installment and this one. Yay for you to put the frat boys and girls in their place! You go girl!

Scott said...

Great photos. Looks like an absolutley amazing trip. I love living vicariously through otheres.

Scott

Kristie said...

i am not as bad as you with heights, but they make me nervous. really nervous. Especially if my kid is with me. So i feel your pain. Looks pretty cool tho.