Pages

Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Trip to St. Augustine, Part 5

A quick note about the Most Haunted shows (since a couple people mentioned them). These are not shows which convinced me. Now, I'm not saying anyone is a fool for watching them or believing in them. I'm just a very skeptical person. I never believed in ghosts, and I believed that good Christians never saw ghosts because they were demons...until I saw something that made me re-evaluate that stand when I was 26 years old (I'll tell you about it another time). Of course that doesn't mean it was a ghost.

As for the psychic in the Most Haunted shows: If someone wants to convince me that they're a genuine psychic with genuine powers, then enter a hyperbaric chamber and be shipped to your unknown destination. Then come out and give an accurate reading of the place. You see, they have the ability to prep and read a background on where they are. This experiment will also have to happen in a previously unknown haunted place, because I guarantee you that they're well read up on the lore for all the top destinations.

These psychics also make mistakes. I watched a Most Haunted episode last night, and the renown psychic started talking about the former mistress of the house, saying that she was gorgeous when she was alive. In fact, she looked like an organ grinder's monkey. They glossed over that mistake and never mentioned it again. Another said she was grotesquely fat, and when he was shown this picture, he said quickly "I meant fat before this picture was taken. She must've lost weight by then."

Finally, these psychics feed off the interviewers. I watched one of the psychics last night make a few tentative statements about a female ghost, then ask the interview a quick question which guided him in a certain direction. Additionally, the interviewer is very emotive, and obviously reacts to anything that is said which reinforces the legend.

Still, there are things which are not definitively explained away, and I admit that. Now on to...

The Friggin' Frat Boys

For those of you who don't know me well yet, let me tell you a secret: I'm no angel. I am someone who believes I should be good all the time, but I am also earthy and have a wicked sense of humor. This means I'll be nice until it's time to not be nice.

That night we stayed in Howard Johnson's. We had pulled in to see a bunch of frat boys running around the parking lot, throwing a football. I was nervous, because I didn't really want to have my car dented, but there was no where else to park. As time went by, and we settled down for the night, the noise continued. There were mostly guys, but some girls too. All of them were staying in 4-5 rooms there.

By midnight, I was frustrated, and my ex-boyfriend (who came along with his daughter) went over to the manager's office to complain. I stayed behind, with the two children. My ex-boyfriend was gone for a long time when I suddenly heard glass shattering. Thinking it was my car, I darted out the door to see a drunk sorority girl giggling and pulling herself up from deliberately doing a "touch down" with a bottle of beer. Spoiled college kids were everywhere, milling about, flirting, giggling. I lost it.

"DO ANY OF YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS? IT'S MIDNIGHT!" I screeched at the top of my lungs. "I HAVE CHILDREN TRYING TO SLEEP IN HERE! GET INSIDE YOUR FRIGGIN' ROOMS AND GO DO SOMETHING ELSE. DO WHAT YOU GUYS DO BEST: FRIG EACH OTHER, PLAY CHECKERS, I DON'T CARE! JUST GET INSIDE BEFORE I FRIGGIN' CALL THE COPS!" Only... I didn't use the word "frig".

Everyone disappeared with their tails tucked between their legs, except one. She hesitated a moment, wobbled slightly, and looked as if she was going to come toward me. At this point, I was revved up enough to scream "BRING IT ON, SISTER!" and almost did, but their chaperone grabbed her arm firmly and wheeled her into a nearby room. Heaven only knows what I would have done. I was sorely tempted to bop her on the nose (classy broad that I am) but that's as far as I had planned. Outside of the obvious lawsuit, of course.

After that, we settled down only to hear doors start slamming again. At this point, my ex-boyfriend (who had returned and has a black belt) sighed, got up, and went next door. I listened as he calmly said to the frat boy "You guys must be the dumbest kids that ever made it to college. If you don't stop playing these games, and slamming these doors, I will come over and kick your ass. It won't look good for a young frat boy to have his ass kicked in front of all his friends by a guy who's 40 years old. So do us all a favor and stop it now, and make sure everyone else does, too." "Yessir!" said the alarmed frat boy. And after that, we had peace and quiet.

Needless to say, we were very tired on the morning of Easter Sunday. But we struggled up at 7 AM, had breakfast... and then gave the frat boys a wake-up call from "the front desk" in a very bad Indian accent before we left. We figured we'd help out the hotel employees, since they'd been useless the night before.

The Castillo de San Marcos

We were lucky enough to get there so early in the morning that very few people were about. The Castillo de San Marcos was built from 1672-1695, but was modified repeatedly as time went by and warfare tactics changed. The original fort was built by Spain, the modifications were made by England and then America.

Speaking of ghosts, there is a story mentioned in Florida's Ghostly Legends & Haunted Folklore: Vol. 2 that involves this fort. It seems that there is a lady in white spotted at the fort sometimes, who simply vanishes when she's approached. She's supposedly a beautiful woman who was married to the Commander in 1784 and had an affair with one of his men. The Commander walled up both of them (alive) in a small chamber beneath the fort (in The Cask of Amontillado style) and their ghosts still roam about. There is no historical verification of this tale.











Next and last: The quaint shops and our trip to the top of the Light Tower and Lighthouse.

17 comments:

AQ said...

Saur,

I just love this series! I'd never have had the guts to yell at the college kids myself - though I would have wanted to. Maybe I should get myself a black belt to instill some confidence (or to back up my mouth).

The person in the last picture (at the fort) looks like, well...... me. Did you take this on the trip you've been describing? I haven't been there recently, but the picture is bugging me so I had to ask. LOL

Saur♥Kraut said...

Always Questioning, yes, we only took it last weekend! So you have an unknown twin! I'm so glad you're enjoying the series!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Acton Bell, well, we had fun with it, as best we could, and really enjoyed making the wake-up call in the morning. ;o) BTW, did you see yesterday's post?

Susie, heehee! I think you're right; they would've figured I was either a banshee come back from the dead, or an eccentric escapee from a nearby asylum. Either way, I would've been impressive. Yeah, you're right. A guy's better to take on. But a well-placed bop on the nose would put any sorority girl in tears. Just think of the money her parents have already invested in plastic surgery!

divine oasis said...

ah. the joy of college kids. good thing your husband knows karate.

great photos!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Divine, thanks! The boyfriend took most of them, but my camera is OH so easy to use. It's the best you can buy, and it's worth it! Yeah, college kids are a pain in the butt. I thought so when I was IN college, and still do.

Tim said...

Sometimes kids need to be yelled at and threatened in order to behave. Love the way your bf handled it after you scared them.

I love that story Cask of Amontillado. One of my favorite Poe stories, along with House of Usher.

The pictures are excellent!!

Kristie said...

what you did to those college students is GREAT!!! I can just imagine what that would have been like for them. (not that i was ever ever one of those loud kids.)

Saur♥Kraut said...

KristieD, *LOL* I never would have, just because *I* would've been afraid of some soccer mom laying into ME. Besides, there are better things to do after dark...

Mr. Fabulous, perhaps if they're dressed up enough, and are wearing the right kind of pancake makeup?

Green, glad you liked it! When in doubt, threaten beatings... I guess they knew he could back it up. It helps that he is very calm - I think that's even more scary.

Reverberate, Ft. DeSoto is so very nice, but SO very HOT! The sand gets scalding. It's hard to believe it was voted as one of the top beaches. IMHO, Clearwater Beach is SO much superior. Glad I inspired you to go on a trip!

mal said...

sheeeesh,,,sounds like some of my more memorable motel stays...idjits are everywhere it seems

sounds like the trip was well worth it though

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Sounds like you are having a fun, and amusing time.

As for psychics, I used to consult them regularly, until they were costing almost as much as the mortgage. Now, I just trust in God, and forget about the psychics!

Jenn said...

hee hee hee... I love the wake up call. I can't believe Howard Johnson's let them get away with that, not to mention all the other guests besides you being annoyed.

Were the hotel workers also college students?!

Anonymous said...

When I saw the picture and began to read I was getting a little nervous when you said you have been known to get wild. I was actually relieved to read that you yelled and threatened them! ;o)

Yup, I need to take another trip to St. Augustine.

The call from the lobby was a nice touch!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Kathleen, I said I'm no angel. I said nothing about getting wild; especially with frat boys! *shudder* I have always despised the vermin, even when I was going to college. Glad you liked the call, though! ;o) We actually made it from our hotel room. Shhh.

Jenn, I think the little Indian man at the desk was both nervous and also couldn't understand the language well (which would only add to his nervousness). He kept saying he would help, and patrolled through the parking lot once that we saw, but apparently didn't go through it again.

Barbara, yeah, psychics don't always get it right, anyway. I know of one that tells everyone that their nutrition needs to improve - it's a great catchall that applied to everybody who walks in her door.

Mallory, the idjits multiply in Florida: vacation stop for Spring Breakers.

Miss Cellania said...

I enjoyed reading sbout the landmarks and seeing the pictures, but I REALLY would have loved to have been there when you told off the partiers. They knew better than to mess with a mama bear, apparently!

The Lazy Iguana said...

The frat boys probably did go in the room and bugger each other in the cornhole.

The Zombieslayer said...

Cool posts, especially of the turret. I love turrets.

By the way, how come ghost women always wear white dresses?

mckay said...

good call on not believing those pychics, but i still do wonder about stuff. ever watch the 'new' tv show Medium. interesting..based on a real person.

i've enjoyed the pics of the older buildings. :)