Pages

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Keesha

I went to visit my friend "Rosie" on Saturday morning. She and her hubby had just bought a new house and she wanted me to see it. Rosie is a hysterically funny black woman, who traces her roots back to Thomas Jefferson. She's opinionated, mouthy, and "all that and a bag of chips". I was really looking forward to our morning.

I got to the front door, rang the doorbell, and then noticed a spider above the door. When Rosie answered the door, I said "Hey, you should take a look at this spider. I think it might be a brown widow. I've got them at my house and..."

Then Rosie let out a sudden squawk as a black dog barrelled around her and charged outdoors. "Keeeeesha!" screamed Rosie futilely, as the black dog continued out into the road, racing away from captivity.

Rosie took off running, yelling at me over her shoulder to "get in the house and shut the door!" I ignored that and (realizing she was worried about it locking behind us) I unlocked it and started to take after Keesha too. "NO!" hollered Rosie. "Get in the house and shut the door!"

She was a couple of yards behind Keesha at the street corner. Keesha stopped briefly, squatted down and emptied her bladder, and took off running again just as Rosie reached her. I could've sworn Keesha was laughing.

Now worried that the neighborhood was so dangerous that she didn't want a white girl on her doorstep, I hurried inside, shut the door, and sat down on an overstuffed sofa chair. A large black cat came up to me and started purring. Feeling welcomed by something, I settled back to watch a movie that was on with Denzel Washington in it.

Fifteen minutes later, sitting with the cat on the chair behind my shoulder, I heard Rosie approaching the house. Her voice grew distinctly louder as she neared the house. "Dammit, you nasty dog, I should kill you, how dare you run away like that, you will not run off like that again, you stupid b*tch..."

Rosie walked into the house, dragging Keesha by the collar. Keesha looked none the worse for wear, happily panting and hanging her tongue out at us all. "Go lay down," Rosie screeched. If Keesha had been human, she would've shrugged. Instead, she casually trotted off to the other room and then peered around the corner at Rosie. "Go lay DOWN," Rosie screeched again. Keesha seemed to sigh and disappeared for another moment while Rosie collected herself. Then she galloped back into the room as Rosie was telling me about her chase around the neighborhood.

Keesha came over to me and made nice, so I started petting her as Rosie ranted on about her. Periodically, Rosie would interrupt herself by yelling for Keesha to go lay down, and Keesha would laughingly disappear for a minute, and then return. This went on for about 15 minutes until Rosie had wound down.

"You know," Rosie finally said, "I got her chipped. It didn't hit me 'till later that if someone wanted to keep her, it wouldn't make any difference at all."

Keesha and I looked at each other. "I know," I said to Keesha, "I don't get it either. Who would want to keep you?" And at that moment, Keesha winked.

18 comments:

High Power Rocketry said...

:) What a cutie.

Tyson said...

see, that's why you need a big dog. those sqeeky eency-weensy dogs can't lead you on a wild-goose chase around the neighborhood.

i used to have a black lab, too, when i was young. my father came home from the grocery store one saturday with the cutest little puppy. apparently, some girl had a box full of them she was giving away. most noticeable were the puppy's paws ... they were HUGE! apparently, that is an indicator of how big they'll grow. later on, i would come home with scraped palms, telling my mom how tigger (our dog's name, for good reason) had pulled me along as i tried to hold onto the leash.

(i am so happy about being one of the first commenters! i decided to get up early to check your blog before i leave for work. usually i read it at night, and here in seattle we're three hours behind everyone else. hooray for me!!!)

Saur♥Kraut said...

Susie, she thought I wouldn't be smart enough to figure out that it automatically locked. Apparently I didn't impress her as being overly brainy. ;o)

TS, Wow, you ARE up early! Glad you like the blog enough to check in first thing! I love dogs of all sorts. Mine are smallish, to avoid damage and havoc...

Reverberate, ;o) Thanks!

Alex, ;o) She really IS. You're right.

Kristie said...

thats a fun story. Dogs are great. I dont have the space, time or patience for one right now in my life, but i am hoping at some point i will. ;)

Lee Ann said...

Oh, cute dog. I think animals know more than we think.
I have a cat that can look into me!

clew said...

Ornery little booger!

Greetings, Saur - I have visited off and on here but I'm not sure if I've ever commented. So in case I haven't I just thought I'd say hi today.

Hi!

Jamie Dawn said...

Keesha seems like she knows that her owner Rosie is more "bark" than "bite." A dog that winks... wow!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Jamie Dawn, well, it could've been a squinty-blink but it sure looked like a wink to me! ;o)

OK Slick, Me 2!

Clew, I don't recall seeing a post from you before, but I'm very glad you said hello today! Thanks for stopping by!

Lee Ann, My dog BoBo is soooo special. The other one (BugEyes) ... isn't. She's simply a menace to society. So, it depends on the animal, I guess.

KristieD, if you get the right one, it's heaven. If you get the wrong one...it's something else. I have one of each. :P

Heather said...

I'm still stuck on the spider. What happened to the spider? Where is the spider?

Saur♥Kraut said...

Heather, :D I think I was right. Rosie and her hubby talked about it later and they're calling an exterminator. Brown widows are identical to black, but they're...brown.

Heather said...

We have brown recluses here. Ugh!! I hate spiders with a passion. They give me the full on heebie-jeebies. I'm getting chills just thinking about it. That exterminator would be my new best friend. And he would have been here yesterday. Ugh!!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Heather, they are really, really creepy. I hate spiders.

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I too am in favor of big dogs, and Keisha is such a cutie!

Delightful story, as always, saur!

Fred said...

I love dogs. Too bad I'm outnumbered by the cat lovers around here.

High Power Rocketry said...

Are you single?

Miss Cellania said...

Great story! I am kinda wondering about the orders to go inside... you never really explained that one.

I've never heard of a brown widow.

Eddo said...

Saur you always tell a good story... I need a dog.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Mr. Fab, they really are. ;o)

Eddo, everyone needs a dog, IMHO. And thank you. :D

Miss C, I never had, until I bought the house and found out that I have them. They're like black widows but seem to be more... bold. They don't hide as much as black widows do, from what I've heard about black widows. But they have the same underbelly markings and body shape. And the reason she insisted on my going inside was that she was afraid the door would lock and we'd all be locked out of the house.

Alex, More yes than no, and continuing toward being more yes all the time.

Fred, I love cats, too. And Rosie's cat is an amazingly sweet and wonderful kitty. I'm just allergic to them. *achoo!*

Barbara, thank you, hon. She IS adorable. The actual pic isn't of Keesha, but is completely identical to her. I had forgotten my camera that day. Keesha is a mix of Chow and black lab, but looks exactly like this. Her tongue is an amusing mottling of blue and pink, as if she'd been eating 2 color cotton candy.