Pages

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Trip to St. Augustine, Part 2

Once we got turned back in the right direction, we followed the main road, over a bridge named The Bridge of Lions:


The lions were all away, undergoing repair, so it was really just The Bridge at this point. This sketch (to the right) shows what the Lions look like on a good day. As you can see in the photo above, some of the little windows in the outlook towers are boarded up. It's a drawbridge (it opens up to allow boating traffic through) so at one time they must've had a lookout in each tower, both ways. But now I assume they have the electronics housed there.

I drove straight forward and gasped. For years I've been having a dream about this exotic public place (a museum, perhaps) which I usually approach by flying (I love flying dreams, I hope you get them!?) and it's amazingly opulant and typically Floridian. And yet there it was right in front of me! I babbled excitedly for a few minutes and we got lots of photos (NOTE: THIS picture below was found on the college's website).


We called out to someone walking by on the sidewalk, who told us that it's Flagler College and that's when it all fell into place. My parents had taken me there when I was probably about 8 years old and over the years, I must have mutated and grown it in my mind to a point where my dream museum only resembled the college (but was based on it).

Next we tried to go to the main fort near by: The Castillo de San Marcos. That was a big mistake, because it was so crowded there wasn't a chance at parking. At this point, we decided to take a break and check in at the hotel where we could regroup.

At the hotel, we were told that the best way to avoid traffic was to buy passes on The Red Sightseeing Train. (If you click on the link, you'll see their map of the city). In fact, they have a number of red and green trains which run a standard route so there's always a ride at the most popular tourist spots, every 15 minutes. However, we found out later that all trains make their last pickup at 4 PM, and stop running after noon on Easter Sunday. (At this point it was 3 PM on Saturday).

Come with me tomorrow, when we take our first train ride to The Fountain of Youth!

19 comments:

Ed said...

My parents ended their third cross country bicycle ride in St. Augustine and said it was a beautiful place. Now I have proof.

Grant said...

I went to Seattle and tried to go to the top of the Space Needle, or the Big Pointy Thing as I call it, but the line was too long. I didn't want to stand around for hours just so I could climb to the top of a Big Pointy Thing, take a look, go "whee", and then climb back down. So I went to the theatre instead and saw Yeoman of the Guard.

Anonymous said...

So, they are restoring the lions? I love that bridge. Flagler College is really beautiful.

I am really impressed with Ed's parents 3RD CROSS COUNTRY BICYCLE RIDE! Was that across the US or cross country meaning a shorter trip? Either way, I'm a lump in comparison. Kudos to them.

Heather said...

Obviously, I need to make another trip to Florida. Absolutely beautiful. I can see how that college could become your dream museum. It's incredible.

rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

love the place, and yet another thing i miss about florida. however i do not miss the traffic. what is the deal with the heart? how ju do dat?

Saur♥Kraut said...

Rev, I found someone else that had a heart in their name and I shamelessly pirated it! ;o) Florida IS gorgeous, isn't it? Well, at least SOME parts are. I guess there's a lot that isn't, too.

Heather, it's soooo pretty. When we go back in the summer, I'm going to really explore it. It's formerly a hotel, and supposedly haunted.

Kathleen, obviously Ed's parents are a force to be reckoned with. They're restoring the lions, but how? I have no idea...

Grant, being acrophobic, my palms are sweaty just at the thought of it.

Reverberate, so glad you're enjoying it!

Ed, see my comment to Kathleen! And yes, it's really beautiful in some places; primarly on the coastline.

Ed said...

Yep Kathleen, all trips were across the country. That trip was from San Diego to St. Augustine. They have also riddeen diagonally from San Diego to Maine, along the continental divide from Idaho to New Mexico and their last (fourth trip) trip a couple years ago from Seattle to Maine. They haven't yet informed me of their next one.

Jamie Dawn said...

I think The Bridge of Lions looks pretty good even without the lions.

I'd like to put in my order for a gallon of water from the Fountain of Youth.

Lee Ann said...

Oh that looks absolutely wonderful.
Great pictures.
I definitely want to take a ride on that train!

High Power Rocketry said...

Boy that thing is huge. And the air, it is so clean and clear :) That yellow thing in the sky, what is that called, it is out!

Bryan said...

Great pics and thanks for sharing your adventure! Sounds like you all had a great time.

Whistle Britches said...

What do you call that blue air that seems to cover everything in Florida?

Jenn said...

That's very cool that you saw the place in your flying dream. In my flying dream I'm always flying over empty fields.

Ellen said...

Lovely, simply lovely! I'd love to have that flying dream where I'm over scenery like that!

Oh.... and while you're getting Jamie Dawns gallon... (hint, hint)

Nihilistic said...

Fountain of Youth??? I'm so there!

Three Score and Ten or more said...

One of my favorite cities, though, I admit that my favorite activity there is to wander throught the narrow streets and just shop. Yes, that's me, a male who has a recessive shopping gene coming out.

Saur♥Kraut said...

3 Score & 10, the shops are beautiful and fun to browse about in, aren't they? I'm going to mention them further on in my posts.

Nihilstic, Yeah, me too!

Ellen, they have a gift store, so click on the link in Thursday's post. I'll bet you could get some! I think it would make a great gag gift.

Jenn, I fly over those, too. But the detail is incredible in my dreams, and the dream one is so much more opulent. *sigh* I wish I could draw it but when I start to, it escapes me.

Uncle Joe & Alex, you know, I always took our skies for granted (the skies really vary from pale blue/white to a rich blue depending on the time of day. They go green during severe storms or hurricanes). But when I lived in Alabama for a brief 3 months, I grew terribly depressed because the climate was so radically different!

Bryan, it's amazing how much you can pack into a weekend if you try!

Lee Ann, it was a bit bumpy, but fun!

Jamie Dawn, I dunno, a gallon didn't help ME. I was pretty waterlogged when we left... kidding!

Meow (aka Connie) said...

That is such wonderful commentary and photography ... you should write a travel article and get it published !!
Take care, Meow

Saur♥Kraut said...

Meow, thanks, hon! It's a thought!

Mr. Fabulous, they couldn't do that. It's definitive of the city itself. Maybe they could build an additional one that would mirror this one to help relieve the traffic, but that's the only option that would be met with approval, I think.