Pages

Friday, April 21, 2006

The Trip to St. Augustine, Part 4


Here are some pics of the baby bunny my neighbor brought me this morning (don't you just love the color of my elegant old Florida bathroom tile?). It's a wild Florida rabbit and I'll be taking it to a nearby park so it can be free. He's one of the reasons my blog is late being delivered today, and work sometimes gets in the way of play sometimes, too. Yeesh!

Here are some pics of our sightseeing in St. Augustine on Saturday afternoon. (It's taken a while to post today because Blogger is sooooo slow today when it's uploading pics).





The Ghost Tour

We had seen and heard a lot about the ghost tours in the area. Not knowing which one to pick we picked the one that had been around the longest: Ghost Tours of St. Augustine.

Now, SaurKid and I (being born-again Christians) were in an almost comical quandry which some of you might not understand. Is there such a thing as ghosts? My answer to him was that I thought ghosts were certainly in the realm of possibility. Just because some or most souls may go to heaven or hell right away, there may also be some that wander about before they depart.

Or, as SaurKid cheerfully pointed out, they may simply be demons. Oh goody! A Demonic Tour of Old St. Augustine! SaurKid was rather sulky, being a die-hard skeptic when it comes to ghosts. Having seen some weird things in my lifetime, I am less skeptical. However, I pointed out to him that if these things are demonic, he would be in no danger (being a born again Christian)... unless, of course, someone got posessed and came after us with a hatchet. Anyway, we went and had a good time despite our theological conflict.

There are a variety of tours you can choose from: walking, riding in an enclosed and airconditioned bus to different sites to get out and roam around, or a sailing trip. We chose the riding trip, so that we could see more sites. Our tour guide was a very dramatic and friendly spinner of tall ghost tales, and she made them both fun and spooky.

We were very impressed by the story of the woman who had been hacked into little pieces by her next door neighbor on her front lawn in the early evening. Apparently there was a finger in the bushes, and assorted pieces scattered on the lawn. We passed the homes and saw...absolutely nothing.

Our first stop was near this home:

When we got out of the bus in front of this home (above), I had no idea it was part of the tour. Never the less, I felt something watching us from the middle window. Can you see anything? Remember, we had to use flash, so some of the light is attributable to the camera flash. This house is supposedly haunted by a particularly malignant spirit, which has sometimes appeared as a Spanish Conquistador. No one will live there any more.

Now this was the next stop on the tour: The Haunted Lighthouse. This is the house (above) which is separate from the actual Light Tower (which is behind it). Both are supposed to have some malicious ghosts, as well. They include a couple of young girls who have questionable motives, and a man who wandered in and hung himself in the rafters one day.

This picture (above) is of the little house that is part of the actual Light Tower. What's odd about this particular picture we took is that there is a ball of light here that is obviously not attributable to our camera. In fact, it didn't show up (the picture was very dark) until I lightened the entire picture and heightened the contrast. But please note that I didn't retouch the photo in any way. I've added a red arrow to indicate what I'm talking about.

These balls of light are called "orbs" by ghost hunters, who claim that they indicate the presence of a ghost. Sometimes people mistakenly believe a dust particle or a rain drop is an orb. In this case, I can assure you that it isn't either of those, though it may be some odd result of the shadows which were present. However, when you enlarge this portion of the picture, it is obvious that it's on top of the shadows. Try it yourself, and you'll see!

We went to a nearby playground after that, which happens to be an unmarked mass grave. As she told us about the unfortunate ghosts, something kept tapping my toe. Was it simply a muscle twinge? Or was it a playful ghost?

Finally, we went by an old cemetary, where crowds gather to see the very obvious face (of a woman) on this tombstone (this picture doesn't do it justice). Is it merely water damage? Or is it... something else from beyond the grave?

Tomorrow I'll cover our tour of the main fort that Sunday.

33 comments:

Paul Nichols said...

As a technical writer, I have to humbly inform you that you are now on eastern daylight savings time. Not standard.

Not only that, but when referring to the time, we just say Eastern time, Central time, etc.

(I'm sorry. The wild and wacky editor in me raised its ugly head. Don't take it personal.)

Deb said...

Oy vey...you'll be up by noon! Alright alright!

*blink*

Umm... Whatchya' doing that's more important than blogging missy?

Kristie said...

ya, what deb said!! ;)

ok, ok, i'll just come back later!

rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

so cute. not that you wouldn't but hopefully they/whomever will get as far away from a road as possible. nice italian marble too.

Jenn said...

awwww... he's a cute little bunny. Looks a lot like a wild New York bunny.

Jenn said...

I think it's a self-portrait of the artist on drugs.

Kristie said...

aww..we have bunnies like that all around my mom's street. Too cute. And i dont see a thing in the window in the last pic. Sounds fun. I love ghost tours and things like that. I even watch that show "ghosthunters" on sci-fi when i think of it. ;) Fun stuff. I would say i am not necessarily a believer, but its not impossible. Nice photos. Making me want to make the drive myself now.

Bryan said...

Ah, hah! We now have a photo of saur's hand. Biometrically speaking you can now be identified.

Kidding, just kidding.

The bunny is cute and the photos magnificent. Great place to visit, I'll bet.

I'll post a real life ghost story of my own on my blog soon. I'll have to agree with saur kid, though. I think they're demons, too.

michelle said...

I love your weekend vacation story!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Michelle, your boys would especially love the Ghost Tour!

Levi, or is it my hand? Mwahahahaha... *ahem* No doubt there's a possibility that these are demons just messing with us. But there's no knowing either way. I can't wait to hear your "ghost story"! Isn't that bunny adorable? I'd love to keep him. *sigh*

KristieD, now check out the orb picture!

Jenn, good call! Or maybe it's a portrait of Greg Allman?

Susie, he/she is as tame and sweet as can be! But I checked with wildlife rehabbers and they all tell me that these wild rabbits are very sweet at first, then they suddenly hit puberty and its as if they don't even know you (kinda like human teenagers). They start banging themselves up against their cages to get out and will kill themselves to be wild once more.

Rev, I wonder what happened to the unknown artist? Did he/she get evicted? Did they graduate or flunk out of art school? Is it a hobby or (god forbid) a passion...?

Deb, so whaddya think now? It was worth the wait, wasn't it?

Paul, I stand corrected but am currently too lazy to correct it. Maybe I'll change it later. ;o)

mckay said...

awwwh, the lil bunny looks way too young to be on its own.

the ghost tour pics are great! i once was in an agatha christie murder mystery play. we had weird stuff going on all around us, plenty of cloudy ghosty things in our photos backstage. it got downright spooky when we got out the ouija board after rehearsal on a friday the 13th/full moon night.

i bet that was something a tap tap tapping on your toe!

Ellen said...

I'm so embedded into this trip you took, that I can't wait for more installments.... there is more, isn't there?

I love the ghost tour you took, and especially the way you described everything. I felt a tap tap tapping on my toes while I was reading it.... very, very spooky, indeed!

By the way, I love the bunny. They are my favorite animals by far. I've had several in my past, and you are right, they do not always make the best pets once they grow up.

Nihilistic said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW - Look at the cute little bunny rabbit! I just want to hold him and squeeze him and love him and call him George!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Nihilistic, ha! A Bugs Bunny quote, and one of my faves! He is the cutest, sweetest, softest, gentlest little thing.

Ellen, you're talking about domestic ones, right? I had one and it didn't turn out to be such a great pet as it grew up. And that was a domestic one. It's too bad, cuz it's soooooo cute and sweet right now! I'm glad you like the stories so far. I think you'll be interested in the main fort, too. It has a fascinating history (including a ghost story I'll share).

Mindless, you've been missed. I'm glad you're still out there, even if you aren't actively blogging.

McKay, I adore Agatha Christie. Her plays are every bit as good as her books, which is a rarity. Ouija boards - I wouldn't dare. Here's a site you'll be interested in on them. Check out this story and read about others!

Saur♥Kraut said...

McKway, I just realized that the story link I gave you won't allow you to see the addy, so you won't be able to pull up the other stories. Here's the addy:
http://www.castleofspirits.com/ouija15.html

clew said...

I'm going to have to come back and read the ghost stuff when I have enough time to SAVOR it (I love ghost stuff) but I just wanted to say D'AWWWE, WOOKIDABUNNYYYY!!!!

Maybe that triptych (I noticed it was a triptych before I read it - nyah) is Bo Bice?

;)

See ya again soon ~

clew said...

(reading back through comments) Rev billy bob's pic is napoleon dynamite? I thought that was woody allen ...

Saur♥Kraut said...

Reverberate, you and I seem to be of the same mind: the jury's not in yet for us. I'm glad you like it!

Clew, isn't it the cutest??? Yeah, the Rev looks like Woody Allen to me...

exMI said...

I would live int hat house if they gave it to me. A conquistador's ghost would just be an added benefit.

Anonymous said...

Adorable bunny. Very bad art!

The trip is great. I have never done the ghost tour. I don't know what to say about the "orb." Curious.

Looking forward to tomorrows installment. Fun remembering my trips there. I think I will return in the fall with my grandson.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Kathleen, I had glanced over the pictures before (they're digital, so it's easy to do) but didn't see anything that stood out UNTIL I lightened them. I was very surprised, actually! How old is the grandson? He'll probably LOVE it.

Exmi, well, you're a lot tougher than most. And a lot tougher than *I* am. I don't mind a friendly ghost or two, but I draw the line at vengeful ones. Of course, I have to admit that you never hear of someone being killed by a ghost on the 10 o'clock news: "Old Mrs. McGillicutty was murdered by the ghost that haunts her home this evening. Police are baffled as to why a normally friendly spirit suddenly decided to tear her limb from limb..."

Anonymous said...

Very cute bunny!

So after the ghost tour, are you and SaurKid more or less inclined to believe in ghosts?

The Lazy Iguana said...

Ill live in one of those houses! The haunted conquistidor house looks pretty nice, but then again living in a lighthouse would TOTALLY KICK ASS!!!

And when you say "ghosts of young girls with questionable motives" what kind of young are you talking about? 19 to early 20s young? That information could be the deal breaker.

Jamie Dawn said...

Ghost and a person being hacked to pieces... such gooood stuff here today! ;-)

That bunny is so cute! We had some baby jack rabbits a few times when we lived on our ranch. Holding them is so much fun. They are so precious.

Your bathroom tile is a pretty color. LOVE it!

The pics are neat. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

My, most magnificent grandson is eleven. Yes, he would like the trip. He is always up for an adventure. He is old enough now to help with the planning, etc. That makes it doubly fun. What can I say. Like Maria, "I must have done something good." But, for the life of me, I can't think of what!;o)

Lila said...

OMG that is the cutest little bunny!!!!!

Tim said...

the bunny is adorable.

I think I agree with SaurKid on the existence of ghosts. My ex however loved to watch those ghost story shows and unsolved mysteries whenever they were on.

Lee Ann said...

Awww, cute little bunny.
When I lived in Boca Raton (South Florida), we had some of those wild bunnies that lived close by. They are adorable.
The pictures of the trip are awesome.
The artwork does look a bit like Greg Allman!
I am amazed at the pictures of the ghost tour. That orb is cool! Exactly what are the shadows from?
There doesn't seem to be anything up close that would create those shadows. Very cool!
Thank you for sharing.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Cute Bunny !!
Creepy photos. I love haunted houses, and ghost stories ... that would have been an amazing tour.
Thanks again.
Take care, Meow

Saur♥Kraut said...

Meow, we had a ball! The baby's adorable. I put off releasing her 'til today because I wanted her to have a whole day in the sunlight to get her bearings in her new home.

Lee Ann, I think the shadows are from a tree that's in front of the house. There's a little courtyard between the house and the little house which is attached to the tower. I think that's where the shadows come from. But I wondered that, myself.

Green, isn't she/he? And it's soooo sweet. See my post today about the ghost shows.

AP3 isn't it??? I thought the Pez Family would especially appreciate it!

Kathleen, that is exactly the way I feel about SaurKid!

Jamie Dawn, thank you! It was an especially fun post, too! Although each one has been a joy to write about; it's the ultimate scrapbooking!

Lazy Iguana, you really made me laugh over this one. No, they're supposed to be around 10-12 years old, and nasty; nothing sexual about it. Sorry. Too bad it's not haunted by "Girls Gone Wild", huh? Men would be standing in line to rent it.

Monique, excellent question! SaurKid remains intractable, and I am still unsure. After all, the argument could be made that all the apparitions were demonic. But I am inclined to believe ghosts are possible, and certainly I will say that something was captured on film that wasn't "natural".

Eddo said...

Very interesting.

There is a song by Gavin Degraw and it starts out, "Belief makes things real."

I believe that.

And I believe that if you think that spirits can exists or that a place is haunted that it eventually will be or can be.

High Power Rocketry said...

Looks a lot like dust, sorry :)

Sometimes you dont see the dust, or it is internal, or in the air and just passing.

The orb is clearly out of focus, which means it is far closer to the camera than the wall.

If only ghost and ufo people knew about optics, they could make better arguments.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Alex, If only ghost and ufo people knew about optics, they could make better arguments. I agree with you, mostly. But in this case, I have the large version of the pic if you can't enlarge it and see it clearly, but I assure you, it's not fuzzy. And even so, it didn't give off light (as in refracting it) in the original photo. Additionally, we've used this camera for 700-800 pics so far, and have never had a result like this. On the other hand (to be completely fair) we have never combed over any photos looking for this, either, and we don't usually take night photos.

Mr. Fabulous, and this one is so good-natured!

Eddo, an interesting perspective. Some ghost hunters believe as you do. They think a haunting is simply an emanation of people's fears and beliefs.