Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Shallow Janet Jackson & James DeBarge

In another example of just how screwed up the Jackson family is, another family secret is out. Today it was announced that Janet Jackson secretly had a daughter at age 18 with her then husband, James DeBarge. Their daughter, Renee, is 18 now and has been raised by Janet's sister. During those 18 years, Janet has been flitting in an out of relationships and music deals. (Don't ask me about James; I don't have a clue). Please don't tell me that because they are celebrities they are special and should be held to lower standards.

Was this better than aborting the baby? Yes! Could they have adopted the baby out? Sure! But how about a good old-fashioned sense of responsibility? The press is chortling about this one, as if a ming vase was suddenly discovered in a garage sale. Instead, they should be discussing the failings of a society that produced two shallow stars who felt that stardom was such an important goal that they would keep marriages and children secret from the American public.*

If they were poor and starving, I can understand giving the child away to a home where she could be cherished. But both had the money to afford nannies, and Janet obviously has extended family to help. It wouldn't have cramped their style! Please don't point out that they didn't want the child. This is obvious! But I'm practical enough to tell you that this is not an excuse, either.

Of course, this is the same society that pays illiterate sports figures millions, and throws chump change at our teachers. And we wonder why jobs are being sent overseas and our kids are less educated than ever before. We need to get our priorities straight. We need to demand accountability again. And we need to be shocked when people don't behave responsibly, instead of celebrating.

P.S. In the interest of fairness, I should add that these allegations are made by one of the DeBarge brothers. However, sources believe the allegations to be true. How do you like that? I love citing sources. It sounds so impressive. I'm sure that's why half of the reporters out there love saying that.

* Janet kept a later marriage secret for many years.

17 comments:

mal said...

noblesse oblige? I suspect it is a foreign concept to people like this. Sad really, since they are the role models that a whole generation is seeing. Costume "failures" and all

Saur♥Kraut said...

*LOL* Yeah, I'd forgotten about the costume 'failure' momentarily. Thanks for the reminder!

High Power Rocketry said...

Thats the problem with celebrity, it comes along with something I call new money. The jacksons have a large deal of talent as performers, but they lack an education or the basic social interactions that make people normal. When such mentally small people gain money and fame, and power, they just go crazy. They fain some bizzare faith such as scientology, they use drugs, have a constant string of shallow sexual relations...

Bathroom Review
R2000

Saur♥Kraut said...

Alex, excellent points. Truly!!! I hadn't exactly thought that way but you're right. My grandmother used to disdainfully call that type of person the 'nouveau riche' (the newly rich). Good summary.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

I am in constant awe at the actions of the Jackson family, but you make the point that they had family to help out, and it appears that the family helped out. (which sister is this? I never can remember.) I wonder if Janet had and "auntie" relationship. Who knows.

Saur♥Kraut said...

3 Score, yes, and I agree that it's better than nothing. In fact, it was the next best option! But I think Janet could've, and should've, done better than that. She probably did have an 'auntie' relationship (I would guess). But eventually that 18 year old is going to grow to resent being pawned off, no matter what the reasons and benefits might have been.

Granted, no one lives in a perfect world. And yes, Janet was young. But there are many young teenage girls with a lot less money and a lot less support, who had a child out of wedlock to boot, who chose to raise that child instead.

I wonder when her daughter was told who her bio mom was?

Fizzy said...

Thanks for stopping by too.
I had not heard this about JJ. But that family has enough skeletons to fill more than one closet

Saur♥Kraut said...

Actonbell, but that was wrong too. And in another time frame.

Storm, yeah... sad to say, but I actually have more respect for Madonna. Which isn't much.

Fizzy and Justice, of course! My pleasure. I wouldn't have left a comment if it wasn't interesting. Thanks for dropping in!

TC, as usual, you are the soul of wisdom.

Fred said...

I'm not surprised, really. The entire family is bizarre. Why do we even pay attention anymore?

Saur♥Kraut said...

Fred, because it's like watching a train wreck. It's almost impossible to resist.

Lila said...

Assuming it's true, it's pretty darn bizarre.

Dave said...

No, my first name ain’t hunk
It’s Gator - Mr. Gator if you’re nasty
Oh you nasty girls.

Hey who’s that thinkin’ nasty thoughts?
Michele
Who’s that in that nasty car?
TC
Who’s that eatin’ that nasty food?
Saurkraut
Who’s that jammin’ my nasty groove?
Kathleen

Nasty ladies don’t mean a thing
Oh you nasty ladies

Anonymous said...

It's so unfortunate that the intimacies of the Jackson family have been lived out so publicly. There were so many casualities in the wake of their fame. It should be illegal for them to be famous anymore.

Linda Jones Malonson said...

This is an interesting subject to Blog on... and even more interesting comments.

No, I'm not black Tab
I'm Hershey brown
Chocolate, if you're nasty

First of all, I don't know if Janet has a baby and if she does I think keeping her out of the Media and public view, looking at Michael's ordeal, is a good thing.

Secondly, we often love to prejudge others for whatever reason; it's a national pastime and an individual preference. The Jackson’s family will always be judge for their strangness, that is, until they are no longer sellable as a product.

We all wear labels and many who make their living entertaining the masses wear more then their share.

Yes, I like Janet, and don’t have anything against the Jackson family as a whole. Like O.J., if you have been judged by the laws handed down to you, and you get off, like so many others that don’t have brown skin color, well I call that fairness.

As it relates to “new money and old money” well, it’s all made from trees and metal --- it’s good to know there are opportunities for folks of color to make money. Being poor is highly overrated. I am all for making a little myself.

All and all, I won’t debate the issues of the Jackson’s family strangeness because in the Entertaining world, this is status quo for all entertainers regardless of skin color --- the ones of old just hid it better. I ain’t off into prejudging, and I don’t dip my nose in anyone’s business unless they ask me personally.

I always enjoy reading others point of view, and I am happy to say, I learn so much about myself looking in others' mirrors.

As always, when reading your Blog, Saurkraut, I get a lot of food for thought, and you have a flare at entertaining me with your words. Thank you.

Eddo said...

Amen! America is all about entertainment, it is our god. If you are an entertainer, you can get away with just about anything - Martha Stewart got convicted because she was entertaining enough - O.J. Simpson - he was entertaining - Michael Jackson - brilliantly entertaining - R. Kelly - entertaining. It's sad, but true.

Jamie Dawn said...

I wonder what her daughter thinks of her? I know in the hispanic culture, children are often raised by their aunts or grandmothers. In Janet's case, it would seem that career came first. Who knows what really went on?

Anonymous said...

I know my response is old, but it's not the American Public's business. The only reason people aren't talking about you is because you aren't famous. No one is perfect. And until you've filled their shoes, don't criticize the decisions which were made. Devote your energy & writings to something that could possibly "help" Americans. This nonsense doesn't.