Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Space Aliens


Several years ago, I consulted a man on how to publish his manuscript. In fact, he gave me a signed copy of the thing and it's somewhere around here, but who knows where I've tucked it away or if it ever got published by anyone. It didn't interest me at all.

You see, it was all about his encounters with extra-terrestrials and also had the stories of other survivors of such encounters. His wife was with him at our meeting also, and she was as earnest as he was about the whole thing. So why wasn't I more impressed? I just remain highly skeptical that most people have truly experienced such an encounter. And the manuscript was badly written, may I add.

Michelle and I were talking about UFOs this weekend. There's no doubt in my mind that many people have seen something that can't be explained away easily as experimental planes. Let's face it; we weren't exactly neanderthals in the 1950s when a rash of sightings occurred. Those people had seen their share of earthly airplanes and whatnot. As Michelle pointed out, it's not easy to explain away all the stories about Area 51.

My ex-mother-in-law is the most staid, dull, factual person I've ever met. This woman has no imagination whatsoever and is the soul of practicality. But many years ago, she confided in me that she had seen a UFO in the 1940s. That took me by surprise. She was functional, sane in all other aspects, and didn't have the ability to cook up such a story. She also was truthful to a fault (being a born-again Christian) and almost never told this story to people for fear of appearing either a liar or just plain nuts.

My ex-Mother-in-Law's Story: She was a farm girl, who had been walking through a field when she tripped and fell. Turning over to get up, she saw an unbelievably huge object hovering directly above her. Then it took off and zigzagged at an impossibly fast rate across the sky and disappeared over the horizon.

Now, some people say UFOs are the product of diseased minds or wishful thinking. I don't think she qualifies in either category. Some born-again Christians say there is room in their belief system for UFOs, others say they could be demons just messing with people's minds. Other people actually believe it's possible, and some believe it's probable. As I've mentioned before, my assistant believes wholeheartedly in UFOs. I do have to say, in the interest of objective reporting, that although I love her dearly she is a wee bit eccentric.

I don't know what to believe, but I am pretty certain that if aliens exist, they're not doing some of these silly little encounters that people like to relate. I mean, if you were a space alien, would you? Of course, that's assuming all space aliens are of a scientific mindset. They could simply be frat boys, pranking the rubes.

20 comments:

Whistle Britches said...

Your exmotherinlaw evidently suffered a head injury during the fall and became staid, dull, and factual during that very moment. The UFO was actually her former personality (exciting,erratic,etc.) floating away never to be seen or heard again. Thanks, Dr. Feel

Saur♥Kraut said...

Uncle Joe, I tried that one on her. She said nope, no concussion, no head injuries, she was perfectly fine. She'd only tripped, after all, not been in a car accident or been hit over the head by a tree limb.

Storm, lots of people have suggested the government had experimental aircraft. But the UFOs that were described weren't aerodynamically functional or didn't conform to physical laws (like the zigzagging), so it wouldn't make sense to ascribe it all to the gov't...

dddragon said...

I find it hard to believe that we're alone in the universe.

I also find it hard to believe that we'd be that interesting to beings capable of interstellar travel.

I don't know if you ever heard of the woman who sued JK Rowling, claiming that Rowling plagiarized her works. Anyway, I worked briefly for this woman and her husband - they both firmly believed that they had had encounters with UFOs.

Old Horsetail Snake said...

Why would you assume that a born-again Christian would be truthful? Now, you take George W. Bush and how the aliens hid the weapons of mass destruction...well, maybe you got a point.

(P.S. Repeat after me: There are no aliens in our neighborhood. There are no saucer-shaped spaceships that zig-zag. There IS a little town in Oregon called Zigzag, though.)

Eddo said...

I normally don't believe in Aliens, but every now and then i meet people who are so out of their minds that they must be from another planet.

But as a Christian, it is hard to wrap my head around the thought that there are aliens, but who knows, we could all be "who's" from "Horton Hears a who"

Saur♥Kraut said...

Old Hoss, good point, but I don't think Bush is a Christian just because he says he is. I think he's about as Christian as the Dalai Lama.

Eddo, *LOL* I've heard born-again Christians explain why it's possible to believe in aliens and how it won't conflict w/ their beliefs. If you'd ever like to hear the argument, drop me an email about it.

Dddragon, interesting! I didn't know about them, but it's fascinating! Do you think J.K Rowlings really did plagiarize their works? After all, her concepts aren't new (see Ursula LeGuin's Wizard of Earthsea series which is better-written, IMHO).

Jef, Yes... or they could've just been a lot smarter than we wish to give them credit for. After all, I don't think that we are all that much brighter than the people 4,000 years ago. We just have better communication and can build on the knowlege of others. You know?

michelle said...

As we discussed. I don't know that I believe in aliens exactly, but I do know there are somethings that just cannot be explained. I tried to be open minded to the unexplained part.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Michelle, yes, my thoughts exactly. This is one of those touchy areas where you could sound like a weirdo if you weren't careful, you know? But I think that I can't entirely dismiss it.

Jamie Dawn said...

I'm more inclined to not believe in UFO's and aliens, but I don't discount the possibility. I think it would be so cool if they were real. I just wish they'd show themselves in public and stop using anal probes on all the weird people.
There are certainly a lot of unexplainable happenings, so maybe... just maybe...

michelle said...

I have an idea. Our weekend story can be about aliens.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Jamie Dawn, *LOL* so very true.

Michelle, great idea! We'll do it.

Dave said...

Just yesterday I saw an alien fall out of the sky and through the front windshield of this old mans car.

TLP said...

I believe that there are probably other planets with beings on them. But they are far, far away. I do not believe they any of them have reached Earth.

If anything had the intelligence to do space travel, why the heck would have bother themselves doing the strange stuff that some have said that they did?

michelle said...

Mr. Gator we had a similar discussion at work.

Yup, George Bush must be an alien. That is the best explanation I have heard to date.

High Power Rocketry said...

Being a science person, I hate to argue this topic all the time, but I do wind up doing it! :)

Also being into aerospace, and rocketry, I know very well how hard it is to observe high altitude craft. I have often seen what looks like a UFO, but given my person mind set, my first reaction was to understand that im not perfect, NOT to invent some reality that came to mind about aliens.

Let me put it this way, there are alot of things I have seen, and only slowly figured out (aircraft, weather, stars...). But they were never ufos. Hell half the time, a simple aircraft looks like a ufo, particularly at sunset. Imagine how strange experimental aircraft would look over area 51.

There is one important thing you will see about almost all UFO people: a serious lack of real science knowledge. See some people like to go the science road, and others like to go the sci fi road: which can be quite a bit more appealing, and can be fit to your own personal desires.

R2000
Bathroom Review

Linda Jones Malonson said...

A good thoughtful post and lots of good comments here, and Jef’s comment comes closer to what I believe.

We are a people who can't explain our own existence ... so it stands to reason that there are other things we cannot explain away either.

I believe we live in parallel universes, and therefore nothing is impossible. I consider my body a UFO because I don’t really understand all the living cells it takes to make one of us --- no matter how others try and explain it, no one can cover it all … we are still experimenting. That said, I keep an open mind, one never knows.

On the flip side this coin, I think GWB and his crew, (I am being sincere here) did not originated in this solar system. They got to be UFOs.

Jeff said...

"Let's face it; we weren't exactly neanderthals in the 1950s when a rash of sightings occurred. Those people had seen their share of earthly airplanes and whatnot."

Let's not forget that these are the same people that went to the movies and saw what was clearly a man in a rubber suit with a collander on his head and freaked the hell right out. Surely they had seen a man in a rubber suit before and at least seen, if not used, a collander at least once in a while. How is it that these aliens managed to scare them so bad on screen? I've said a million times that if I had a time machine, the one thing I would want to do is get some movies like Jurassic Park and Independence Day and Aliens and the like along with a good movie projector and sound system and show these movies to see what the reaction would be. Could you imagine the reaction 50 years ago to the dinosaurs on Jurassic Park? That would be so awesome! Do you think they would be able to believe those were man made pictures they saw? Hell, even when it came out it was hard to believe it was man made.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Jeff, an excellent point. Good thought.

Alex, you too. Thank you.

Liquid Plastic, I'm so glad you're joining in the discussions! I'm really glad you decided to.

mal said...

my interest in pursuing engineering had everything to do with space. Of course that did not keep my brother and I from sending "mysterious lit objects" thru the So Cal nite skys....at least we were never caught

IT WAS FUN!!!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Mallory, ahhh, so you're to blame!