Pages

Friday, March 17, 2006

Congress Approves Increased Debt

Well thank goodness! Congress raised the limit on the government's credit card to nearly $9 trillion Thursday. I say, it's about time! Why worry about burdening our children with paying off this future debt, when we can spend (from 2005 expenditures):

$3,973,000 for shrimp aquaculture research even though the USDA has said that the program met it's goals in 1987. A total of $61 million has been spent on this since 1985. What? Are they trying to develop a better breed of Sea Monkeys? But, I'm sure they're spending the money wisely.

$3 million for the Cal Ripken Sr. Foundation, because without it, children would never be able to play baseball. We are so lucky that they're there to raise our awareness of that sport! Strangely, I don't see any mention of the largesse received on their website.

$5,791,000 for the East-West Center in Hawaii, which "is an education and research organization established by the U.S. Congress in 1960 to strengthen relations and understanding among the peoples and nations of Asia, the Pacific, and the United States." By golly, I'm glad we've spent a total of $66 million dollars on them since 1991. For that kind of money, I'm betting they're solely responsible for our peaceful relations with the countries in Asia and the Pacific.

$2 million to buy back Jimmy Carter's Presidential Yacht, the USS Sequoia, which was sold by President Carter in 1977 to demonstrate frugality. We will never forget President Carter, whose message will not go to waste.

A mere $900,000 to the Shakespeare Theatre in Washington D.C., although their revenue was $20.8 million in 2003 with only $11.4 million in expenses and assets worth $39.5 million. But much can change in 2 years! We know how mercurial the viewing public can be. And I think $900,000 is a bargain if it keeps our congresspersons off the street at night.

$200,000,000 (yes, that's two hundred million dollars) for the Commodity Import Program for Egypt. We're so nice that we even spread the wealth abroad, and subsidize the Egyptians who choose to import products into our country and compete with Americans. This is a fantastic program, which encourages us Americans to get more competitive with our pricing. The problem is trying to convince the American worker to allow us to match the wages, when a cook in Egypt gets paid $230/month and a receptionist gets $45/month. Silly Congress must've forgotten the difference in wages when they passed the minimum wage hike here.

$10 million for the International Fund for Ireland, which has received $439 million total since 1986. This is something to celebrate today, on St. Patty's Day!

And, of course, we have now spent a total of $400 billion on the war, although before the Iraq invasion in 2003, Bush administration officials predicted costs related to the Iraq war would total less than $100 billion. But hey, what price war, huh? I know that *I* couldn't sleep at night without knowing we're over there, instead of over here patrolling our borders and coastlines. Too bad the Coast Guard can only inspect 2% of all imports (including those subsidized Egyptian imports) due to budgetary restrictions. But the government knows best where to spend our tax dollars, and I would be very ashamed if any of you dared to question the war.

It's unpatriotic to question the government. I hope you remember that.

24 comments:

Ed said...

My own senator Chuck Grassley, head of the Senate finance committee, said that it was either raise the debt limit or default on the loans or break the law, so they changed the law. Talk about one hand feeding the other! I think this is absolutely disgusting.

Jessica said...

The yacht purchase is the pinnacle of irony.

mikster said...

Why am I not surprised...this is getting beyond disgusting.

Some Random Girl said...

I sense a tad bit of sarcasm in that last sentence! I can't believe the shit our govt. does. How do we stop it? Who do we complain to? they do what they want to anyway.


Ps: you have to watch American Inventor...it was good.
do you watch "related" on theWB? Ilove it!

Kristie said...

Its a sad day we live in now. It definitely disgusts me and i wonder what kind of world my son is going to grow up into...and what things they will have to sacrifice to pay off the crazy debt we are running up now.

Saur♥Kraut said...

KristieD, that's my biggest concern, and more politicians should take this seriously. They keep thinking the day of reckoning won't happen while THEY are in office, so it doesn't matter.

Some Random Girl, I hardly watch any TV. The exceptions I make are Grey's Anatomy and some Law & Order reruns! What...me? Sarcastic?

Mike, isn't it??? But they hide a lotta this stuff and sneak it under the radar.

Jessica, amen, sister!

Ed, exactly! They were violating the law, so they changed it...(???)

Heather said...

Just think, in 6 years we went from a balanced budget with no debt (we actually had a surplus) to being $9 trillion in debt.

What were we thinking?

Michael K. Althouse said...

Trying to stay positive here..... Hmm, not working. Something's gotta give. I guess we'll just have to print more money! I don't know what else to say, to do, to... I dunno. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, this administration and this congress raises the bar to new and unimaginable levels of incompetence. The mid-term election is coming, but I'm afraid not much will change.

~Mike

Notsocranky Yankee said...

It's too depressing to think about. Must be time for a cold GREEN beer! Have a good one.

mal said...

Pork, the other white meat....wonder what it looks like in the barrel? rancid?

dddragon said...

hmmmmmmm .... what kind of proposal could I write to get some of that green stuff?

Jenn said...

cool hat :}

Jenn said...

Debit to the tune of $30,000.00 for every man, woman and child in the US. Can I be sick now?

But you won't catch me asking questions. I'm with you. That is SOO unpatriotic.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Emmersjennybee, time to get the tums, and take out another mortgage on the house.

Jenn, why thank you! I'm currently searching for an Easter Bonnet, next.

Dddragon, well, you apparently don't have to think up anything terribly clever or unusual. You could tell them you're doing cat research and spend it all on Salem!

Mallory, well, it certainly smells to me! ;o)

Notsocranky, actually I had a couple greenish margheritas instead... ;o)

Mike A, well, I'm almost always a positive person but this one leaves me scratching my head...

OK Slick, *LOL* You're on to something! And it would be a great way to reduce the national debt if we made all those congressional sessions pay-per-view!

Heather, not much. Congress strikes me as the new kids on the college campus, with daddy's credit card, and no daddy.

Beaver said...

Happy Saint-Patrick's Day, Saur :o)

May the luck of the Irish shine on you!

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Talking about the government can get me in a tizzy.

So, I came here to wish you a Happy St. Patrick's Day! I love the hat, Saur.

Dave said...

Saur,

Happy St. Patrick’s Day. My green shirt was a big hit with the ladies.

I can only imagine the bow wake if frivolous spending were curtailed. I’m pretty sure without it I would just wash up on the shore.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Velvet, thank you. I do really love the research and the reporting. Guess I'll never get it outta my blood.

Gator, love the dunce cap! ;o) I'm sure the shirt was a hit.

Barbara, glad you like it! Happy St. Patty's Day to you, too!

Beaver, and to you, too, my travelling friend!

Anonymous said...

I have had my fill today of getting pissed off! So, with that said, Happy St. Paddy's Day! I am spending the rest of the evening relaxing on my PATI'O FURNITURE and sipping my Dewar's! (not terribly fond of beer)

P.S. Love the hat.

High Power Rocketry said...

My old pappi used to say: "if ya gurna spend money today, make sure you gona have it tomorra, I reckon".

Or in my words: dont spend what you dont have, moron.

Whistle Britches said...

That depresses me. I think I'll go watch Joe vs t Volcano.

Happy SPD to you too mademoiselle!

Jamie Dawn said...

Gosh, I wish money grew on trees!!
Maybe the gov't will find its pot of gold today.
Not likely.
Have some green beer and do some crying in it, then try and have a good weekend.

Live, Love, Laugh said...

UGH! this was not uplifting. lol!

Sorry I haven't been posting or here commenting, I have been out of town, my mom is very ill.

neal said...

The whole government is unpatriotic. If they did some serious soul searching, (that would mean they would have to have a soul), they would find that they no longer serve the people. They serve special interests and the only way to satisfy special interest groups is to dig deeper into the endless barrel of tax dollars to finance these silly expenditures.