Pages

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Idiot Labels

Follow me here… picture this:

You are in the bathroom, a little woozy from taking a dose of NyQuil, and your eyes are very dry (they get that way sometimes). You reach for the handy aerosol saline solution, sleepily apply it to your left eye, and scream because it is not your handy aerosol saline solution but a product labeled AIRDO which sounds really cutesy when it’s in the can but sounds like something else when it’s in your eye.

So you hop around squealing like a mad woman, disrupting all the people and animals in your household, while simultaneously screaming for poison control and washing your eye repeatedly with tap water. Meanwhile the people and animals stay out of harm’s reach, staring at you with open mouths.

Doesn’t that happen to us all, you ask? Of course it does... hah hah! …ahem… Which is why I think we all need Idiot Labels.

Idiot Labels will be a great seller. They can be sold in all the major outlets, like CVS, Target, and Joe’s Crab Shack. At first the individual consumer will be responsible for labeling his own things, but eventually we’ll have Congress pass a bill. Oh why not? They pass bills for lots of frivolous things, like:

· Therapeutic Horseback Riding in Apple Valley, California ($150,000)
· The recovery of Preble's Meadow Jumping Mouse ($500,000)
· $100,000 for the Alabama Quail Trail
· A tattoo removal program in San Luis Obispo County, California ($50,000)

And we ALL know how much we need Therapeutic Horseback Riding!

At first, the labels would be for the basics. They’d come in different sizes, of course, and they’d be in a violent red so they really stood out. They’d say things like “LOOK OUT, YOU IDIOT!” (this would’ve been perfect if I’d had it on my AIRDO can), and more simple things like “DO NOT EAT” (handy for toxins and leftovers), “STOP, LOOK TWICE” (something all singles would be required to wear in nightclubs), etc.

But eventually, after Congress passes its law, the labels could be applied to living things (no, singles in nightclubs do not qualify as living things). In some cases perhaps it should be tattooed onto the subject, in other cases a simple label would do. Here are a couple of the things that I think need to be labeled:

· Puppies (I’ll let congress figure out whether to tattoo or merely slap a label on them once they’re born). I know if I’d seen a label that warned me about how much poop and vomit BugEyes generated, I would’ve run like I was pursued by Satan himself.
· Wild Animals. Remember that idiot who got eaten (along with his girlfriend)? Timothy Treadwell had put out a book about how easy-going bears really were (“harmless party animals” he called them), and spent lots of time rambling about with them. Well, here’s the solution. Dangerous animals (like bears) should be tagged with large red plastic labels that can be read from 100 feet away. Those labels should read “WARNING: THIS ANIMAL REGARDS YOU AS SNACKFOOD.” If nothing else, all pictures that Timothy had taken of himself with various bears would have taken on a rather comic aspect in future cautionary tales.
· Career Politicians. Enough said.

And finally, I think we should put warning labels on all fast food drive-thrus. The labels would read “CAUTION: THE PERSON TAKING YOUR ORDER CANNOT POSSIBLY HEAR YOU PROPERLY. ALL ORDERS WILL BE INCORRECT AT VARYING TIMES”. Of course that wouldn’t solve the problem. But I have a solution that would. Instead of having a little speaker next to the light-up menu, why not have a keyboard where you could input your own order and thus make sure you got it right?

And, of course, if you pulled up to the window and found that your order still wasn’t right, you could spray them with AIRDO.

c. 2006

23 comments:

Ed said...

I'm still in hiding from the label police. I removed several under the penalty of law!

mal said...

Hey wait a minute! My brother llves in San Luis Obispo county and they desperately need a tatoo removal program....mmmmm know that I think about his beard, they need one for beard trimming too!!

Whistle Britches said...

Maybe the brand should be changed to Airdon't.

I remember when I was 6, I looked up while my father was putting Brylcreem on his toothbrush and I wondered, Why is he doing that?

2 kids later I understand him much better...

Eddo said...

ha ha... good post with a lot of good ideas.

Just this week I went to Whataburger and the lady at the drive through spoke so fast I couldn't understand her, when I got to the window she spoke again and I realized she had a speech impedement with a lisp and and accent since she was hispanic. Now I have nothing against people with speech impairments, but the manager really should have thought twice before putting her on drive-thru duty. I think we need an idiot label for the manager.

Paul Nichols said...

But didn't you know? There are already Idiot Labels on many products. Like "Do not use this hair dryer in the bath or shower." (Really)

And there should be plenty at work. "Caution: This cubicle maintains dangerous levels of methane gas." (One of my co-workers.) "Do not grind food into the carpet."

"Wet Paint. Please touch here. Now just look at you, you idiot!"

Michael K. Althouse said...

I love it! The world would surely be a safer place. And who better than our elected politicians to watch out for us? Why else do they seek and covet public service other than to ensure our pursuit of happiness.

Wait. That pursuit sounds entirely too dangerous. Perhaps we will someday soon be able to count on the government to just deliver us happiness - forget the pursuit, that's way to messy. In fact, they can determine what happiness means... establish a "mean happiness" (sorry) - and make sure every man, woman and child gets his or hers. Only citizens, the non-citizens (where ever they may reside) are entitled to no such happiness. In fact, they shall be deprived of happiness - oh, wait, we already do that.

~Mike

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Dear Miss One-Eye:

Excellent suggestions, all.

Some Random Girl said...

nothing irks me more than onions on my bean burrito when I specifically say NO ONIONS!!!!

TLP said...

Pretty funny stuff!

Anonymous said...

All of it was funny. Thanks for the pick-er-upper!

AQ said...

Reminds me of the "Here's your sign" bit that Bill Engvall does.

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I like the "Look Out, You Idiot!" -- but it won't do any good.

You know what product designers say about idiots? They say, "It's impossible to design a product that's idiot-proof because idiots are so ingenious."

Idiots will always find a way...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

Saur♥Kraut said...

Jeffery, so sad, but true, I'm sure...

Always Questioning, there you are! Where've you been? I thought you'd given up on blogging.

Kathleen, ;o) How ya feeling?

OK Slick, like hot coffee at MacDonalds!

TLP, :D

Some Random Girl, onions definately are something that won't leave you for a while... and make quite an impression on others.

Old Hoss, ;o) Notice I'm winking cuz one eye is down...

Mike A, pursuit! Ack! Someone could get injured!

Paul, ;o) Yeah, but the ultimate idiot labels are on the packs of cigs...

Suzie, and the people who don't speak English but live in America. I think pictograms are an excellent idea! I can't wait to see the ones illustrating someone poking their eye out...

Eddo, what are Whataburgers like? Good? Never tried one but I pass the new place all the time, here. I will never understand why some people think it's OK to have complete idiots run the drive-thru. Don't they realize that's our first impression???

Uncle Joe, yeah! As they say, insanity is hereditary: you inherit it from your kids.

Mallory, well, there's apparently plenty of money to go around! You should start a petition!

Ed, you shouldn't be admitting that on the internet. The next thing you know, you'll be wiretapped. :P

Dave said...

Saur,

I live by idiot labels. I had a terrible scare the other night because of the lack of an idiot label. Mr. Charmin didn’t warn me that he had affixed a 25-cent off coupon to his two-ply tissue. In the middle of the night a coupon stuck to your butt feels a lot like a palmetto bug.

michelle said...

FUNNY

Jamie Dawn said...

I love this!

My kids watched a program about that guy who lived with the grizzlies and ended up getting killed along with his girlfriend. Idiot labels would not have helped. That guy was toooo far gone. Snack food, indeed.

AQ said...

I haven't given up - I've just been so, sooo busy. I'll try to be better.

Lee Ann said...

OH MY! I won't laugh, but you sure made it sound funny.
I think you are on to something. Good invention! ;)

Nihilistic said...

Just as long as they include in the bill that some warning labels must be bigger! Like the one on my favorite protein bar that says "May have a laxative effect". They don't mean maybe either!!

Three Score and Ten or more said...

I hate to think what label they, you, or even a stranger would put on me. Oh that's right they don't go on living things. There would still be some debate about me.

Deb said...

Ah ha ha!!!! I’m sorry to have laughed at this, but the same thing almost happened to me. Instead of the eye incident you had, I went to apply Aqua Net into my hair (yes I still use that crap---shush!) and instead…..I reached for the fricken Lysol! Yeah----OCD and all, now I was officially “CLEAN”. Holy mutha of bad judgment!

Question for ya---what is AIRDO? Is that like some kind of air freshener?

Anyway, I was watching that show with Timothy Treadwell…and well…as “you” probably figured that out and saw what the docs said about him…he had issues. He had major issues. I mean, we all have issues, but he tried to make it big on TV, tried auditioning for TV shows and movies and then changed his name completely. He went through a lot of ‘lows and highs’ and was considered bi-polar I believe they said. (Wow sounds a lot like my life once I come to think of it! ha!) But do you remember the part where he is standing there with the bear saying, “If these beautiful animals should ever eat me, please don’t kill them…please don’t kill them…they’re so beautiful and that’s just their nature…” He knew what he was in for. He was fully aware that these animals go on basic instinct. (Wow again sounding much like my life…)

His girlfriend is another story though…huh? The one thing that confused me was his ex-girlfriend made it sound as though they were still together or something to that nature. Was a weird story—but I give that guy credit for going out there. I have enough bears in my backyard to keep me inside!

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Idiot Ballads and Idiot Labels.

Idiot is good.

Anonymous said...

Treadwell site: lots o info

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TimothyTreadwell_Paths/