Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Suicide

Suicides are always up at this time of year. Note: This is not about planned suicide as a way out of an illness. I'm talking about unexpected suicides.

Some of you have had a beloved family member or friend commit suicide, and it's never easy to live with. Just as people are all different, reasons for suicide are, too. That means that we are left with a big Scooby-Doo-sized shrug whenever someone asks us "why?"

However, the vast majority of cases are due to some form of depression. Many of the ones I encounter had just started their meds, but hadn't waited for them to kick in yet. And what depresses one person won't depress another.

I have heard of 4 suicides this month in just my circles alone (one of them is the son-in-law of a very close friend) and Tony Dungy's son is the most famous one currently.

To deal with suicides honestly, and in the hopes of preventing future ones, we need to also dig deeper and develop some strategies. But to do so, we must know the reasons, and what to look for.

For one thing, it is incumbent upon us to tell our children that there may be a time they consider suicide. If they do, they must tell us or seek counseling immediately so that they can get help. Although this is an uncomfortable topic, it's just as important to discuss this with our kids as it is important to discuss illegal drug use with them.

We also need to impress our kids that suicide is the coward's way out. I realize it sounds harsh, but the reason that suicide is committed is that it's usually seen as the "easy way out". So, kids need to be taught that their problems will never be greater than what others have faced and that there are always solutions. Most of the time it's simple: they're in mental pain, and don't want to deal with the pain any more. Well, pain is something that goes away. But suicide doesn't.

Another way to deal with suicide is to impress upon them a greater fear of the unknown. What if the Catholics are right, and suicides go straight to hell? I'm not Catholic, but I'd hate to stake the future of my soul on that doctrinal position!

Many suicides are also committed in the hopes that it will permanently scar someone: "I'll show him! I'll kill myself! He'll always regret he went back to Sue!" The problem is that it scars the innocent, but the guilty move on easily enough. After all, they lacked enough conscience to do it in the first place, didn't they? So kids need to realize that it's a poor tool of revenge. In fact, it often makes it even easier for the person they're trying to punish: "Yeah, she killed herself. It just shows how mentally unbalanced she was!" So, the best revenge is living well. And, sugar in the gas tank.

What are the signs of suicide? Oh boy is that a toughie. The suicide that hit close to home recently was typical in that no one had a clue until it was too late. He had been remarkably cheery, and seemed to be finally handling his depression and recent divorce. But the reason he was cheery was because he had made up his mind to do it, and was at peace with that decision. This is quite common. But perhaps if he'd heard some of Auntie Saur's tough talk, it might have made him think twice. Instead, he is leaving two teenagers behind and has injured other innocents on both sides of the family.

Of course if a loved one mentions suicide, it is important to never take it lightly, even if he laughs it off later. It is better to become the pushy relative who insists on counseling, than the one that is the pall bearer. And never hesitate to ask if they're having thoughts of suicide.

If the person is acutely suicidal, make sure that they are under 24-hour surveillance.

Don't take the burden on yourself. If the person asks you to keep a confidence, this is one of those cases where you cannot. You must get them professional help, STAT.

As I mentioned before, depression is almost always there, which is why counseling is highly recommended even when treating depression with meds. If the person suffering depression is not getting help, you need to find out what sort of an idiot he has for a doctor. No. I mean, you need to make sure he gets the help. But calling his doctor an idiot would be truthful.

Conditions Associated With Increased Risk of Suicide

1. Death or terminal illness of relative or friend.
2. Divorce, separation, broken relationship, stress on family.
3. Loss of health (real or imaginary).
4. Loss of job, home, money, status, self-esteem, personal security.
5. Alcohol or drug abuse.
6. Depression.
In the young depression may be masked by hyperactivity or acting out behavior. In the elderly it may be incorrectly attributed to the natural effects of aging. Depression that seems to quickly disappear for no apparent reason is cause for concern. The early stages of recovery from depression can be a high risk period. Recent studies have associated anxiety disorders with increased risk for attempted suicide.
7. Emotional and behavioral changes associated with suicide
8. Overwhelming Pain:
pain that threatens to exceed the person's pain coping capacities. Suicidal feelings are often the result of longstanding problems that have been exacerbated by recent precipitating events. The precipitating factors may be new pain or the loss of pain coping resources.
9. Hopelessness: the feeling that the pain will continue or get worse; things will never get better.
10. Powerlessness: the feeling that one's resources for reducing pain are exhausted.
11. Feelings of worthlessness, shame, guilt, self-hatred, “no one cares”.
12. Fears of losing control, harming self or others.
13. Personality
becomes sad, withdrawn, tired, apathetic, anxious, irritable, or prone to angry outbursts.
14. Declining performance in school, work, or other activities. (Occasionally the reverse: someone who volunteers for extra duties because they need to fill up their time.)
15. Social isolation; or association with a group that has different moral standards than those of the family.
16. Declining interest in sex, friends, or activities previously enjoyed.
17. Neglect of personal welfare, deteriorating physical appearance.
18. Alterations in either direction in sleeping or eating habits. (Particularly in the elderly) Self-starvation, dietary mismanagement, disobeying medical instructions.
19. Difficult times: holidays, anniversaries, and the first week after discharge from a hospital; just before and after diagnosis of a major illness; just before and during disciplinary proceedings. Undocumented status adds to the stress of a crisis.

Suicidal Behavior

1. Previous suicide attempts, “mini-attempts”.
2. Explicit statements of suicidal ideation or feelings.
3. Development of suicidal plan,
acquiring the means, “rehearsal” behavior, setting a time for the attempt.
4. Self-inflicted injuries, such as cuts, burns, or head banging.
5. Reckless behavior. (Besides suicide, other leading causes of death among young people in New York City are homicide, accidents, drug overdose, and AIDS.)
6. Unexplained accidents among children and the elderly.
7. Making out a will or giving away favorite possessions.
8. Inappropriately saying goodbye.
9. Verbal behavior that is ambiguous or indirect
: “I'm going away on a real long trip.”, “You won't have to worry about me anymore.”, “I want to go to sleep and never wake up.”, “I'm so depressed, I just can't go on.”, “Does God punish suicides?”, “Voices are telling me to do bad things.”
10. Requests for euthanasia information, inappropriate joking, stories or essays on morbid themes.

26 comments:

Suzy-Q said...

Wow thanks for a very important post Saur......

I have a friend who has had an onset of a life changing illness. She was a vibrant, strong independent woman then had a sudden, unexplained onset of seizures. The doctors are unable to determine her etiology and cannot fully control them with medication. She is under 24 hour care from family because of the unpredictability of the seizures. She is miserable and I fear that she is contemplating suicide. Her name is Beverly. Please remember her in your prayers Blogger Friends.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Aunt Josefina, I prayed for her. It may help if she realizes that there have been many people in similar circumstances who have eventually had their disease diagnosed. I have a very good friend who developed Lupus in her early thirties (she's 40 now). I remember that we all thought she was going to die at one point, but she is now a healthy, vibrant woman leading a happy life.

Ellen said...

I am catholic, though not practicing, and we were told it was a sin to commit suicide. Perhaps that was enough for me never to think it was a good idea in the first place. The other is my strong will to not give up, even if all the chips are down.
I still believe in miracles, and know that we are only dealt with as much as we can handle... divine intervention always has a way of surfacing in the bleakest of times, you just have to be able to clear your own agenda aside to see it.
I could never understand how people thought that suicide was an answer... to me it was too permanent, and you aren't able to change your mind afterwards. Besides, you left behind people who were even more saddened by your selfish actions. But then, I am not a person who is depressed to ever consider it as a factor.

dddragon said...

I do have to object to saying that suicide is the coward's way out. My brother had been depressed all his life, even as a child. When he finally killed himself, there was no warning that he would do it at that particular time, and we'll never know why he did it then. I suspect that at age 26, he just could not see things ever getting better. I think that the pain that he felt every day of his life took over. I take comfort in knowing that he no longer feels that pain.

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

That post made me laugh.

Unexpected suicide set me giggling. As is the idea it's the cowards way out.

It's all about choice, I call it brave.

Some people commit suicide over a period of 50 years.

Each to their own.

Fred said...

There's been a temendous amount of coverage here because Jamie Dungy committed suicide. It is so terrible to see that happen; I can only imagine the pain his parents are going through right now.

As Tony said yesterday, "Tell them [children] you love them every chance you get because you don't know when it's going to be the last time."

Love the new look. Very Weekie Wachee'ish. (I used to go there in the 60s!)

Deb said...

This was such an important post. I was so close to ‘that point’ a few times in my life. The only thing that really saved me was my faith in Jesus and that I didn’t want to disrespect the life He gave to me. (In my beliefs of course.)

I really believe that life is much like a movie being played out. Our characters are going through ‘conflict’. We have to make slight changes in order to produce a positive result. We can’t do ‘everything’ at once. One thing at a time; one positive step in the right direction, and then things seem a little better.

I suffer from anxiety and depression. Sometimes my depression gets so bad that I almost think ‘those thoughts’---but immediately go back to, “God gave me a gift—and it’s like me throwing it right back in His face.” I’m so glad that I have that consciousness in the back of my mind. Some people don’t. It’s unfortunate that there is nothing from keeping them from committing suicide.

The one thing that scares me, is the ones who are the most ‘cheery happy-go-lucky’ ones ---are the ones to watch out for. It’s also the quiet ones to look out for---as well as the ones who claim they will pursue the mission of suicide. Some people—it’s a cry for help, but really, how do you determine if it’s all about ‘lack of attention’? You can’t take risks; you have to take everything seriously.

All we can do is pray and hope that people will get back in their right minds, and realize that it’s a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Thanks for this post!

Lucy Stern said...

It is so sad to hear that someone took his own life. I don't think they realize how it hurts the ones that love them.

Jessica said...

One more thing that makes parenting harder. Thanks for the tips on how to talk to kids about suicide. Daniel's facetious comments make a good point--it's how you live your life that makes it worth living.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Dddragon, I know. I was aware of the situation. And I'm not saying it's necessarily a coward's way out all the time, please be clear on that. But often times the reason that someone kills themselves is to take the easy way out. I was very careful to not ever say 'never' or 'always' in here. As I said, each case is different. I respect your family, and I know it was a horrible thing to go through.

Daniel, well, I'm just delighted you're not a counselor. ;o)

Ellen, I would agree with you overall. However, even I battled suicidal thoughts after my divorce and the only things that stopped me were a couple of the things I listed which warred on in my head. That's why it's so important that even if we don't identify with the feeling, we need to get those people help. ;o)

Fred, The Other Half knows Tony and it hit him hard, because he knows how important his family was (and is) to Tony. Tony even had a father/son program he pushed. Glad you like the look! I grew up here, as you know, and loved the mermaids. But my nickname was also 'Mermaid' when I was little (I loved to swim). So, I can't resist them.

Deb, you are so right. I've been there, done that and I can really identify with what you go through regularly. I don't recall if you are on meds, but I recommend you try them if you aren't. Some people feel that meds are a sign of 'weakness' and they don't want to take them. I tell them, is it weakness to take insulin when you have diabetes? Of COURSE not! And depression is usually a biological situation, so why not treat it with meds also?

Lucy Stern, it is horribly sad.

Jessica, hope it helps. And yes, it's important that you live your life WELL, not simply exist.

Ted said...

When my first wife and I split up I was 25 and in a lot of pain. I planned to hang myself in the attic of our house. A guy that I worked with gave me a ride home and when he stopped the car he turned to me and said " Don't do anything to hurt yourself because I love you". I hadn't told anyone about my plan and was surprised that a co-worker even cared at all. He may not even know this but that simple act made me stop thinging about hanging myself. It also made me think it was OK to tell people "I love you"

Saur♥Kraut said...

TC, an interesting point about pride! I hadn't thought of that before, but you make sense! And it's kind of still linked to how it's easier to opt out than face it. I like the way you think!

Ted, wow. Chilling. Have you ever told that man how much he meant to you, and what an impact he had? I'll bet he'd really appreciate it. It just goes to show that a little kindness goes a long way. *hugs*

Lee Ann said...

Wow, that was an excellent post. It is something that happens that is extremely difficult to deal with. In the past when I have been confronted with my friends or people I have known becoming depressed, I have always tried to steer them away from suicide. I have given many of the reasons that you had listed. I have tried to stress so deeply that what ever is so bad now, can be fixed and tomorrow is a brand new day.
There is a lot to learn about this kind of thing. I am sure my brother being a forensic psychiatrist just might have more insight into this. I just may have to get into a discussion about this with him.

Beaver said...

Suicide is always a touchy, if not painful subject.

Library Bitch actually put up in August a very touching post about one of his friends. As I understand him, the cause of his suicide were never quite clear.

As for myself, the thought of causing my mother and father pain was always enough to stop me from killing myself.

Maybe there's something there to be considered.

Love,

Beav'

P.S. you have officially been tagged!

Lila said...

I like your new blog look, Saur.

What my sis' (dddragon) said.... I don't think of it as cowardly. Misguided, perhaps. But not cowardly.

Jamie Dawn said...

This is a very timely topic because as you stated, this time of year suicides are high. My heart has always been broken for those whose pain is so intense that they feel their only way out is to end their life. I know it leaves those who love them absolutely devastated, but I also know that their emotional pain is more than I have ever endured. I do not believe they go to hell. I do not believe that at all.
It is good that you tackled this topic at this time.

The Lazy Iguana said...

My brother had hemophillia, and as a result of the medicine he had to take he was exposed to HIV at age 8 or 9. When he started to get sick - very sick - in his 20s I was very afraid he was going to kill himself.

I can not say I would not have really. He had AIDS. There was no way he was going to get better.

He had the means to kill himself. He owned a 9mm pistol, and a .45 ACP pistol. I have both of these guns now. I keep them unloaded, but I do take em to the range from time to time.

But, he did not kill himself. I spoke with him about this. It would have killed my parents if he had done it, my dad would probably have had a heart attack.

I believe that the reason he went out of "natural" causes (there is NOTHING NATURAL about a money grubbing drug company more concerned about making profit, keeping stock values high, and having money to give to top executives than about screening the blood supply for deadly viruses) was because of the effect it would have had on my parents.

He knew that I would have understood, even if I would have not been in full agreement. If it were up to me, and he had asked, I would have ordered hospice to keep him doped up on morphine, or I would have gone out and bought the dope on the street myself.

And I FULLY BLAME the government's refusal to take mental health seriously for the problem. They refuse to create afforadable health insurance for people who are not on welfare, but also not working in jobs that offer insurance - and even those on Medicare have piss poor mental health services.

The Zombieslayer said...

Been through many suicides, but only one really affected me.

I had been working on a film and my film company was about to go belly up. So we decided to use the last bit of cash on a claymation short. The main artist in the claymation piece, I'll call him "Velo," had more artistic talent than just about anyone I've ever known.

Unfortunately, Velo suffered from severe depression. I had no idea, for I didn't really know him, even though we knew each other for almost a decade.

We finished the short, I moved back to California, and we didn't really stay in touch. I wanted to make a half hour episode and contact the guy when I got more funds, but before I got the funds, I heard he committed suicide.

It hit me like a ton of bricks because it angered me that someone with this much talent would never let the world see what he was capable of. Plus, I really needed him. The half hour episode was never made.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Greg, simply because you were diagnosed with Obsessive-Compulsive Distorder and Dysthymia/Major Depressive Disorder doesn't make you an expert. I'm sorry. This is typical of many mental health patients who become (what they believe to be) "experts" due to their immediate experience with the disease. However, I will admit that not everyone agrees on how to deal with suicides. But note that I said this is for prevention and not an after-death diagnosis.

AP3, I said said just before, this is for prevention, and not an after-death diagnosis. And I'm certainly not weighing in on any particular case.

Beav, very true!

Jamie Dawn, thank you. Personally, I don't believe they go to hell either. I just can never say what happens after death is 100% certain.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Lazy Iguana, that's a very touching and heart-wrenching story. You are a very brave guy, because what you've been through would take a great deal of coping skills to get by. You're right: The government is responsible for the state of our medical culture today. There are some things which simply can't be privatized without their being detrimental to society as a whole.

Zombie Slayer, mental illness seems to be found in more people with high IQs than in people of average to low IQs. Have you ever heard the old saying "There's a fine line between genius and madness"? It's more true than not, although no one really knows why, exactly. I've always agonized over genius's throwing their lives away; whether it is by not following the art(s) that they excel at (and the rest of us would kill to be able to do) or simply through suicide.

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Sorry Saur but Greg has it right for me, the post kinda has a preachy tone to it which is why my original comment was about laughing.

And I am a counselor (or used to be).

*shrug*

honkeie said...

wow, I fit into so many of those things you listed but I have never tried to off myself. I look at my 'difficult times' as a challenge and see pain as a remind of how preciuos life is. i do not suffer from depresion in any way but have known ppl that have. I understand somewhat to why ppl I have known saw death as the only way. But the two I knew personaly used it as a way out, they did not want to even try. Sad as it is but some ppl are not willing to help themselves. And those are the ppl no one can help, drug or not.
For all those who have lots loved ones to this problem, I know the pain and emtiness it leaves nothing but time can dullen the sarrow.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Daniel, well, there are all sorts of counselors, just as there are all sorts of people. ;o)

Honkeie2, I think you summed it up when you said Sad as it is but some ppl are not willing to help themselves. As you pointed out, there are many people with the symptoms, but not everyone chooses to take the easy way out.

Anonymous said...

So what you're saying, Daniel, is that YOU would encourage someone who was thinking about committing suicide by telling them that it's a "brave" choice to make (as you said in your first comment)? Remind me not to send anyone that I care about to see you!

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Al: I never said that Al, you're gettign excited and missing the point. My persona as a counselor is different to me as an individal.

As a counselor my role is to listen, not to offer solutions and to engage the client to move them forward in a way and method that suits them. Not to pass value judgements.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Greg, glad to hear that. ;o)