Pages

Thursday, December 01, 2005

My Tangle With NASA

If my parents had never intervened, I'd probably be living on the French Riviera on the ill-gotten rewards of being a cat burglar.

Undoubtedly, I wasn't an easy child. Of course, no one in my family could be categorized as easy. We're all very intelligent, strong-willed individuals. As they say: the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

As I begin to tell this story, I wonder if my little brother (who sometimes reads this) has ever heard it. It will be interesting to hear his reaction. He was just a baby when this all occurred.

How I Stole a Moon Rock

When I was 6, I was placed in a private Christian school. I was a misfit from the start. The little girls were freshly washed with their hair carefully styled, wearing pretty little store-bought dresses. I wore simple homemade dresses which I would have cheerfully traded in for a pair of shorts any time, and dress shoes that I would have gladly kicked off (they pinched). My hair always hung in knotted strings, and I wore granny glasses. I preferred to play with the boys, and despised those insipid, smirking and self-satisfied girls.

No one knew what to make of me. I'm sure my mother despaired of me entirely. My father understood, and was in somewhat sympathetic agreement.

One day some representatives of NASA showed up. Their arrival had been expected, and the school was very excited to welcome them and their exhibit. Throughout the day, different classes were allowed to go visit the exhibit and see (among other things) a couple actual rocks that were brought back from the moon during one of NASA's recent expeditions.

I don't remember much about that day (after all, I was very young). But I remember going with my first grade class and filing past the tables under the watchful eye of the NASA representatives. I remember the items were displayed on blue felt-covered tables with ruffles, neatly labelled in white paper.

I was especially enchanted with this one particular moon rock. It was a lovely mottled gray, with large white dots with little striations emitting from the dots. It beckoned to me! Even at that early age, I understood the value of it. So, I took it.

How I palmed it, I don't remember. I know that I innocently asked my teacher if I could go to the bathroom, and she absent-mindedly said yes. And I know that I was able to slip that moon rock into my panties and emerge with no one the wiser.

At first, no one noticed it was gone. When they finally noticed it, there was a hue and cry. I remember my teacher taking me aside and asking me if I'd taken it (was I that obvious a choice?). I earnestly said no.

I made it home with the moon rock.

That afternoon after school I began to worry. The heat was on, and I knew it. I began to rethink my impetuous move. Taking out the rock at one point, I examined it closely. It was only gray; hardly worth the effort! After all, it wasn't the Hope Diamond! Was it worth risking my fanny over it? I decided it probably wasn't, but chose to put it to one last test. I'd ask my mother.

So, as mom and I were taking our evening walk, I casually pulled it out of my pocket and said "Hey mommy, look what I found!"

"Yes, dear," she replied.

"Don't you think it's pretty?" I asked.

"Not particularly," she answered truthfully.

Shrugging, I tossed it into the overgrown field next door as we passed it, already feeling lighter for having shed my burden.

But that evening, after my mother received a phone call, everything changed. Mom put two and two together and sent me out into the field to find it.

It was like looking for a needle in a haystack. I thought I would never find it, and my fanny twitched at the thought of the spanking I'd receive (I probably still got one later, though I don't remember it).

Happily, I found the rock and it was returned the next day to it's rightful owners. I'm sure they never forgot me. And, I like to think that they remember me fondly as the little girl who taught them to beef up their security. Just look it as Saur's contribution toward national defense.

c. 2005

17 comments:

mal said...

*L*....sounds like we grew with similar attitudes,,,,,I did not have much truck with the "Barbie" crowd either. 3 older hell raiser brothers might have had something to do with it.

Whistle Britches said...

They have since discovered that contact with moon rocks give you special powers. You probably have the power of invisibility and don't even know it.

United We Lay said...

Sometimes we're so much alike it frightens me. I hated dolls and Barbies, and didn't play well with the girls who liked that sort of thing.

The Lazy Iguana said...

You totally RULE! You stole a moon rock? Awesome. You are probably one of a very few people on Earth to have done this. In fact, you may be the ONLY person on Earth to have stolen a moon rock.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Lazy Iguana, you know, I've never thought of that! I probably AM the only one to have ever done that. I'm must be the only one that got paddled by the principal for it (it was a corporal-punishment school). I don't recall if I was spanked by anyone or not, but I can hardly believe that the school would've passed up the opportunity. And I'm betting my parents would've done it, too. I hesitate to ask Mom tho...

Polanco, yeah, the baby dolls never got played with. I did use the clothes to dress up my poor cat, however.

Uncle Joe, Maybe that's why I always have a special glow about me! ;o)

Mallory, I was the oldest kid with two little brothers, so I guess I pretty much set the pace. I've always felt rather badly for them, as I wasn't the most ideal big sis (obviously).

Jamie Dawn said...

You almost got away with it too, if hadn't been for that meddling mother!

Fred said...

I deal with young women like you every day. The only difference is they haven't made off with a moon rock yet.

Maybe I should ask...

Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I like rocks. I like shiny rocks. I rocks from far away places.

I don't have a moon rock..darn it!

At least you touched one!

michelle said...

I knew you were trouble....I love it!

Brianne said...

What a clever little story! Isn't it weird how you can recall certain things like how the teacher absent-mindedly told you "yes", but others you don't (such as the spanking). How cute... Weird to wonder where the rock might be now!

Anonymous said...

LOL Hey, were you ever a 'Moonie'? What a story! I would love to get your mother's version!

dddragon said...

I TOTALLY remember hating to wear dresses and skirts to school!! I touched a sample at the Air & Space Museum in D.C. when I was a kid, but it had be touched by thousands, if not millions, and probably had been de-mooned by then.

rabbit rabbit

Jessica said...

Saur, If it looked gray like all the others, how do you know you found the right rock? Maybe your moon rock is happily living out it's existence in the wild neighborhoods of Florida while some other ordinary rock gets world-class security and little kids' awed stares.

Lila said...

WOW. I'm sure you're the only one in my blogosphere who's had a moonrock in her panties. Moonrock on!

Rabbit, rabbit!

Saur♥Kraut said...

AP3, and it's a distinction I'm proud of!

Jessica, oh no, I did return the real thing. I had it visually memorized by the time I slung it off. I'll never forget what "my" moon rock looked like. ;o)

Dddragon, *LOL* I never thought about it, but I supposed I mooned the moon rock!

Acton Bell, well, you can never accuse me of being unoriginal.

Kathleen, hah! Moonies: do they still exist any where? I've been wondering that lately. I guess I can google them and find out...

Brianne, yeah, isn't it weird? It's also odd that 3 kids from the same family often have memories that the others don't share. It's not that they're false, but what makes one kid remember the event that happened to both kids?

Michelle, *g* yeah, takes one to know one...

Valerie, yeah! My little brush with outerspace.

Fred, young women that are that much trouble? How do you do it???

Jamie Dawn, *LOL* Moms. The Cod Liver Oil of humanity.

Eddo said...

LOL - that last line was funny. Like you were the Forrest Gump of National Security.

I love stories like this.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

I thought I had some wild stories of my youth, but I never went after NASA.