Pages

Friday, December 09, 2005

Bermuda Triangle Movie, Debra LaFave, Kids' Concert, and Charity

OK, I rarely watch TV but will make exceptions for Law & Order, CSI, and assorted quality (by my definition of quality) movies. But recently I've seen the Bermuda Triangle trilogy on the SciFi channel, so I figured I'd take a brief time-out to talk about it. Very brief.

The SciFi Channel's Bermuda Triangle Movie

This was a stinker, pure and simple. Not even the incredible acting talent of Eric Stoltz could save this. There were a couple other Minor Big Names like Luis Valdez (La Bamba) but the reason they're Minor Big Names is that most of them can't act their way out of a paper bag. Not so with Eric, but one good actor cannot make good an entire film. It tanked. I could go into details, but it's like giving a second-by-second account of an autopsy. I'll spare you.

Debra LaFave

If ever a woman deserved to be put on a small raft in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle, it would be Debra LaFave.

It looked as if she was getting off with a cushy plea bargain of house arrest, but due to public outcry, the judge has said "No way!" Good for the judge! I hope he follows my earlier sentencing guidelines, as we all know that she is "way too pretty to go to jail" (according to her attorneys). AH HAH HAH HAH... not that I'm ...er... gloating... *ahem*

Kids' Concert

I just went to the worst Kids'-Holiday-Season-God-Forbid-It-Should-Contain-Any-Religious-References-Concert. My daughter, who is completely tone-deaf, was in it. However, since all the children (and apparently the instructor) were tone-deaf as well, she fit right in. The only thing worse than a kids' concert is one that has songs about how Santa went to Mexico to learn Spanish. And yup, that was this year's concert. My ears are still bleeding.

Speaking of Christmas songs, SaurKid (my son) went surfing for holiday carols the other day (don't ask me why. Why do kids do anything?) and ran across a Catholic charity's Christmas carol list which includes Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer. Guess the Pope isn't as stuffy as we thought.

Charity

A new study just released said that of all the charities that are donated to each year, the charities for our fellow humans only receive 8% of the donations. The rest goes to things like greyhound rescue, horse farms, and whatnot. And human charity has been declining steadily for 10 years.

A sad fact, but it makes sense. It's much easier to feel sorry for something cute and cuddly rather than that old, unwashed homeless man. I have no easy answers here, except to point out that there are times that the government can not privatize everything. Charity for humans should not be privatized.

But on an up-note: Today it was reported that someone dropped 5 gold rings into a Salvation Army kettle. Well, it beats trying to stuff 4 calling birds or 3 french hens in there.

16 comments:

Fred said...

What's interesting about the LaFave issue is that the judge in Marion County (Ocala) was the one that put a stop to it. The local judges here in Tampa Bay signed off on the deal. What does that say about the quality of our legal system here?

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Ok...You and I are definitely on the same page, Saur!

I LOVE Law and Order and CSI. I also watch Forensic Files, but my husband gets upset that I have an interest in cases that are more than 20 years old!.

mal said...

I caught part of the last episode of "Triangle" and you are correct, it was real ripe. The only reason I turned it on at all is I think Lou is cute. I wish he could try some better acting parts

Saur♥Kraut said...

Attention Everyone, if you read this blog before 11:15 AM, please refresh it. I've added 2 additional topics.

Mallory, yeah, he IS cute. And I thought he was a better actor(?!) Of course, the script stank so bad, perhaps he didn't have a snowball's prayer in hell.

Barbara, yeah, with The Scientist in our family, I have a very big interest in forensics to begin with. I'd like to recommend you read Bones: A Forensic Detective's Casebook. It is excellent.

Fred, you're right. *wince*

michelle said...

We were watching the Bermuda Triagle last night too. Not the movie. We watched the documentary stuff.

Eddo said...

LOL. This post had me "laughing all the way - Ha Ha Ha!" Quite literally.

And I love the closer -

"But on an up-note: Today it was reported that someone dropped 5 gold rings into a Salvation Army kettle. Well, it beats trying to stuff 4 calling birds or 3 french hens in there." Hilarious!

Ellen said...

I went back and read your post about Debra LaFave, and have to admit that I was rolling on the floor with your suggestion of her eating her way to weight gain as a sentence. I agree!
She should have the book thrown at her, and her attorney for suggesting the "pretty" defense in the first place. How insane!

Sorry to hear about the bleeding ears... as parents, we have to sit through miles of this, don't we?

TLP said...

I'm into Law and Order too. Also the true crimes which get solved by forensics. Love that stuff.

Offended? LOL. Never. I'm the one who usually does the offending.

Linda Jones Malonson said...

This was a humous but serious post Saurkraut. Forgive me if I am still laughing at your suggestion about Ms. LaFave.

To be frank, I am as tired of men dating fourteen year old girls as I am women dating fourteen year old boys. My grandson is 6' 3', he's fifteen, and he looks nothing like a boy. He's going out with an older woman, he said, his choice.

The punishment for men and women abusing young girls and boys should be equal. As it is, men get a way with much more.

I love Law and Order and all CSI shows. As for the Bermuda Triangle Movie .. it was a joke and wasn't as good as some of the very old Bermuda Triangle movies, or the one that had a Bermuda Triangle theme. Five thumbs down on this one!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Two-to-one the "5 golden rings" turns out to be "ain't that cute" apochrypha.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Old Hoss, one wonders, huh? Of course it might have been someone who thought it was cute.

LP Yup! We see eye-2-eye. ;o)

TLP, *whew* ...but YOU? Offensive? I sincerely doubt that.

Ellen, glad you liked it! I should run for circuit judge...

Eddo, ;o)

Michelle, the doc was much more interesting.

Deb said...

Not much of a TV person---unless I'm home sick or just in a blah mood...(like today!)

Anyway, the topic regarding donations is really something to bring up--because it scares me to think that people are giving their hard earned money, to help those in need, when it doesn't even get to them in full- or even half for that matter! I can see donating portions of it to people who are working----(but aren't they volunteers?) See, I just don't get it- and it makes it so much harder to 'give' sometimes.

Anyway, great post! An eye-opener.

Jamie Dawn said...

SciFi channel movies usually suck. My daughter and I have tried to watch a couple of their movies, and we gave up on that channel all together.
You could have made a killing selling ear plugs at that concert. (hee, ha, ha)

Dave said...

Saur,

It just keeps getting harder and harder to find a normal hot babe. Handsome men are getting married later in life because they have to weed out the weird hot babes.

Lee Ann said...

You have experienced some "sour" things! Haha...sorry (bad attempt to make a joke).
Hope you have a good weekend!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Lee Ann, Yeah! Tell me about it! I'll be renaming my blog 'Saurly Yours' soon, and with good reason (some would say)!

Mr. Gator, well, I'm definately one of the weird hot babes. ;o)

Jamie Dawn! I was thinking of earplugs! Especially when SaurKid was squirming in agony.

Deb, yes, it's sad, isn't it?