Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Pearls

And now for something completely different! Consider this the first of Saur’s Holiday Shopping Tips for You and Your Loved Ones.

I love jewelry. If ever a girl loved jewelry, it would be me. I particularly love pearls, though I cannot give you any rational reasons why. Pearls are actually something that any self-respecting vegetarian should eschew and although I’m not a vegetarian any more, I do feel a twinge of guilt about this. Why? Well, let’s have a look at a passage on cultured pearls:

“Saltwater oysters are nucleated by opening the shell a mere 2-3 centimeters and making a minute incision to the gonad – the oyster's reproductive organ. The mother of pearl nucleus is inserted into this incision which is then followed with a very small piece of mantle tissue from a donor oyster. The mantle tissue is placed between the mother of pearl bead and the gonad with the side containing epithelial cells facing the nucleus. These epithelial cells are the catalyst of the pearl-sac. The pearl sac grows around the nucleus and begins to deposit nacre. This nacre layering is the beauty of the pearl.”

Now, would you call that humane? Heck, no! Right now, all the male readers have crossed their legs at the mention of what is done to the gonads. And think about how you have to destroy the oyster to get the pearl! Talk about adding insult to injury! Of course, you can’t really beat a great cup of oyster stew. Right? Wrong. Pearl-producing oysters aren't edible.

And get this:

“Saltwater oysters will only produce 1-2 pearls per typical nucleation. Akoya oysters can be nucleated with up to 5 beads, but the use of only 2 is most common. The Akoya oyster dies at harvest. South Sea and Tahitian oysters accept only one nucleus at a time, but as they do not die at harvest they may be nucleated several times.”

Can you imagine having beads crammed in your gonads repeatedly? Me either, and I don’t have any! And an oyster’s gonads can’t possibly be as big as a human’s!

OK, enough about gonads. Let’s talk about Conch Pearls (you really should read this little editorial about them after you finish this). Up until last night, I had never heard of these. And I thought I knew every stone out there! I mean, short of being a gemologist, I’m highly knowledgeable about gems and jewelry, but this was a new one to me.

Here's a picture of a strand of Conch pearls, which are basically conch kidney stones and not true pearls. Melo Melo Pearls are similar, but come from another type of marine snail. They’re all so extremely rare that small ones are listed on Ebay for thousands of dollars (look it up and you’ll see!) However, after reading the above article I would have to say they’re not worth it. Most of them look like beads of peach-colored coral and there is no way that I would spend thousands and thousands of dollars on, say, a ring only to have people look at it, squint their eyes, and say “Hey! That’s an awful purty coral ring you have there.”

“Ah no,” you would say. “Here, take this jeweler’s loupe and look at the faint flame striations that are present in the bead!” Nope… pass. Just gimme an old-fashioned, inhumane, whopper of a pearl ring.

If you’d like to know all there is to know about pearls, go to Pearl-Guide.com, which is where I excerpted the quotes above. You can also read about Famous Pearls which were incredible finds. To see some gorgeous photos of some other famous pearls go here.

Just wait till I tell you about diamonds.

15 comments:

Fred said...

I can hardly wait to hear about the diamonds. I'm then going to show the posts to The Missus. Hopefully, she'll finally be happy with all the toasters I've been getting her.

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Those pearls are breathtaking! And I learned something about the diffferences.

Happy shopping, Saur and thank you for all your kind words and support for my daughter. Your heart is truly appreciated.

michelle said...

I may have to ask you to make some jewlery for one of my nieces. We'll have to talk.

Jamie Dawn said...

I had no idea there were gonads involved.
Pearls are sure pretty though.

So glad the wedding went well. Your Thanksgiving was unusual; ours was not.
We are all well stuffed and will be making the trip back home on Sunday.
Enjoy your weekend.

Lee Ann said...

Hahaha, you have me so tickled!
The pearls are lovely. I think I would like that "Hope Pearl".
Just a little bobble ;)
Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

mal said...

I have always been a bit partial to Emeralds. Growing up in the southwest in a semi latino environment, I also developed a real love for turquoise and silver

As far as Oysters go? I have a real hard time identifying with the plight of a pearl oyster. I will keep working at it. Petty of me, I know...BTW, do you have any good chowder recipes? *S*

United We Lay said...

My mom brought pearls back from China. Very pretty! I love them. It's a tradition in our family for the girls to get their first set if real pearl earrings when they start their periods and the second on their wedding day.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Polanco, I've never heard of such a tradition, but it's a good way to ameloriate the classic stigma of a girl's menstral cycle!

Mallory, I love emeralds too, but it's so very hard to find quality ones. I must admit, I see oysters as about equal to insects so I'm not really too worried about it, but I'm sure they still experience discomfort so I kind of cringe a little. I can't get beyond loving pearls though, and at least no human lives are harmed (wait'll you see my diamonds post).

FTS, well I think mother of pearl is a more humane stone than pearls, so I wouldn't abstain from it. But something that is totally non-exploitative of animal life would be any type of mineral or rock. Still, see my reply to Mallory...

Lee Ann Ohhh, yeah! It's a doozy! I also love Liz Taylor's "little" pearl and diamond necklace. Mmm mmm!

Jamie Dawn, glad you had an uneventful Thanksgiving. There's an old Chinese curse that goes "May you live in interesting times."

Michelle, of course!

Barbara, any time. You're my friend!

Jef, prostituting oysters! ;o) As a friend said, I sure don't want the job of hunting down the oyster's gonads...

Fred, unless the toasters come from China (a place where labor is highly exploited) ;o)

TLP said...

All I know about pearls is that they are pretty. So this was very enlightening and interesting to me.

Linda Jones Malonson said...

How interesting! I never knew this about pearl. Of course I was told that they disolve in wine, but even that's seem not true according to my niece. Oh well ..

Of course the most interesting thing about some oyster is that they determine thier sex ... I found this to be amazing.

United We Lay said...

It's one of those, "Girl, you're a woman now" kind of things.

United We Lay said...

Emeralds, by the way, are easy to get in Colombia, and cheaper than here. The next time I go, I'll let you know, and if you have any requests I'll bring some back. We can work out money details through email.

Old Man Rich said...

Commercially farmed pearls from oysers bred for the purpose - thats ok. Tough on the oyster involved perhaps, but not detrimental to the species or the planet.
Natural pearls harvested from the wild - usually bad. (along with coral, shells, mother of pearl, whale ivory, etc etc.)

Interestingly, whilst diamonds are common (and industrial grade diamonds are cheap) large, unflawed,blue white diamonds are not. So if your having a diamond, have a good one. As for the humane issue. Fine. But don't drink coke (fanta babies) eat McDonalds (deforestation for Argentine beef)or buy US cotton (unfair subsidies resulting in massive poverty in Mali).

I believe that in Oz the code name used when a super pearl (a perfect pearl of enormouse size) is found is 'the moon has risen'. I always rather liked that.

Econo-Girl said...

Pearls! Pearls! Econo-Girl loves pearls! Since the oceans are dying, I anticipate they will be increasingly hard to get. The diamond market is artificially supported, IMHO.

Great pearl necklace deals on Overstock.com.

Anonymous said...

I am troubled by the plight of pearly oysters.

People lose their heads over perdy pearl things. And the oysters lose their lives. Seems to be the way of the human. There are too many of them anyway. Humans, I mean.