Pages

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Gorilla



OK, yeah, I admit it: I'm a Bloom County addict. I was reminded of all those archived cartoons when I saw a comment in another blog. So, I went to mycomicspage.com and enrolled. There is just so much that Bloom County still has to offer us, 25 years after it's inception. So, I think I'll be using these toons to illustrate my blog for a while. You can always click on the toon to read it better, by the way.

Sleep...Walking?

This is a post about The Other Half. I don't speak of him much, for various reasons. That doesn't mean he's not very interesting (as you will see). We happen to be semi-famous people that would rather remain obscure. Some people would never have heard of us, others would. The reason I write this blog is to reach out to like-minded people. I can't do that, and write honestly, if I don't remain relatively anonymous.

The Other Half is a very handsome guy. Sometimes breathless females will pull me aside and tell me he looks a lot like Mel Gibson. That is when I need to evaluate the situation and decide whether or not to tell them about The Gorilla. Kidding! I actually could never do that to him. At least not yet.

Anyway, what attracted me to him was not his looks. It is that he is very weird. I mean, there are plenty of adjectives that can be used to describe people like us: eccentric, interesting, amusing, etc. However, when you boil it all down it comes to weird.

I think the first time I realized I was madly in love with him was when I saw him do The Gorilla. He does an excellent gorilla imitation. I mean, Abbot and Costello would be envious. The really weird thing is that he does it in public sometimes. That is when I hope that no one who knows us is anywhere nearby.

He'll see a situation ripe for The Gorilla, and it's all over. For instance, a little old lady walking by and badgering her husband may end up stalked through the mall by The Gorilla. He'll sneak behind them, hunched over and hopping about, pretending to pick out lice, until they turn around. Then, he's just another shopper. One hopes his famous colleagues never catch a glimpse of this.

But The Other Half is a Sleep Walker / Talker (think Opus!) and finally took The Gorilla to another level a couple months ago.

I was sound asleep one night, when I was suddenly awakened by The Other Half looming over me, doing The Gorilla. It was complete with noise (you know: irritated monkey hoots) as he jumped about.

"What are you doing?" I asked, sleepily.

"I need a banana," he answered (silly me!). He then climbed out of bed, and wandered down the hall into the kitchen. I heard the refrigerator door open and close, and soon he came padding back, still hooting softly. He lept back onto the bed again.

"Honey," I repeated more strongly now, "What are you doing?"

"I went looking for a banana, but there aren't any," he said in a wounded tone of voice. Then he rolled over and went back to sleep.

The next morning when we woke up, he rolled over and said "You know, hon, I had the strangest dream...!"

"Dream?" I said, slightly annoyed, "It's a good thing you didn't trample me! And next time you go looking for bananas, you might remember we don't keep them in the fridge!" There's no reasoning with gorillas, though.

I am loyal to a point, but the story was too golden to keep entirely silent about. My closest friends know this one. I had to tell! Wouldn't you?

23 comments:

TLP said...

That would scary the poop outta me! LOL.

Lila said...

Gorilla, Gorilla!

Rabbit, Rabbit!

Eddo said...

I am a sleepwalker too. I don't think I have done it lately, but I did often growing up.

This was a great story!

dddragon said...

lol - love it! my hubby makes funny mouth noises sometimes - pops, sqwish, and so forth. I'm only embarressed, however, when he dances in public.

Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

so far I have kept my night wandering limited to in the house and during sleeping hours. I don't do the funny noises when awake.

glad you have a friendly gorrilla.

LLLL

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Now, if he puts his hands on his chest and begins to bang, and howl, you might want to take advantage of him!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Alydyn, that definately calls for Spanish lessons!!!

Barbara, I try to take advantage of him as much as possible. ;o)

Valerie, so far he's friendly. Glad he doesn't have rabies!

Dddragon, well, he looked like he was dancing nicely in your wedding photos! ;o)

Eddo, oh you too, huh? So you can identify. Thanks! Glad you liked it!

Aral, Gorilla, gorilla!

TLP, *LOL* You'd have to see it: a young Mel Gibson in jockey shorts, jumping about. It doesn't strike fear, but it DOES create a sense of wonder...

Jamie Dawn said...

A sleep walking gorilla sounds dangerous!
Funny story!
I think "weird" is good. It's a lot better than boring.

Lee Ann said...

OMG! That is so funny. My sister used to sleep walk/talk. I followed her around the house one time and finally asked her what she was looking for (as she opened all of the closets in the house). She replied "the horse in the cage". Hmmm, I didn't even know what to say after that, I just laughed. Maybe you should leave a banana for him on the nightstand just as a joke. Very good story!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

When he starts picking lice off you, what do you do then? Let him eat?

Jamie Dawn said...

My hubby will be home any minute. I'm going to tell him about this post. He has some scary dreams sometimes and yells out. I have to shake him a bit to get him to wake up. He says he dreams he is being chased or attacked. I'll have to ask him if there's ever a gorilla involved. (tee-hee)

Meegan said...

Funny and freaky at the same time!

Although not quite as freaky as Mr. Gator's comment about black men.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Mr. Gator, sorry - had to remove the post (you know why). Normally there's a lot of latitude in here, though. So feel free to revise it! ;o)

Meegan, yeah... it was funny! I'll post about some of his other sleeptalking /walking another time.

Jamie Dawn, tell him I said hi! He hasn't started that other blog he was going to start(?) Tell him I'm looking for it!

Old Hoss, well, I'm louse-free. So he won't have much to dine on. But I'm just thankful he wasn't dreaming he was a shark!

Lee ann, wow! How long was she looking for that horse?

Janet said...

My boyfriend doesn't sleepwalk, but he sleep talks. I always tell myself to write down what he says so I remember the next day but I never do and as a result, I only remember bits and pieces.:(

Saur♥Kraut said...

Janet, oh you SHOULD. It makes excellent blackmail material.

Dave said...

Oopus, note to self, black men don't have a sense of humor when it comes to gorillas. Sorry.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Mr. Gatorrrrr, ahem. To the best of my knowlege, you are usually good at offending many people. If you're not careful, you'll be offending ALL the people tonight.

We love you. You just get quirky sometimes.

GodlessMom said...

Okay, in my mind's eye you now have Fay Wray's face. :)

High Power Rocketry said...

Wait are you a woman?

I once was sleep walking and played the piano before someone woke me up.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Alex, yup! I'm a she. And I used to play the piano! But not sleepwalking...you got me beat, there.

FTS, OK! ;o) I don't remember the question, but I'll shoot an email to you.

Saur♥Kraut said...

OHHH, FTS, now I remember. Cool. Thanks!

Julie said...

Oh ha ha, I totally would've told. Thank you for sharing! :)

Keith said...

The "Gorilla Speaks", sounds like a good blog for his funny stories about you.