Pages

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Barbie Girl

The song today is dedicated to 3 Score & 10.

When I was a little girl, my mother would not buy me a single Barbie doll. At the time, I smarted under the unfairness of it all. Her explanations did little to soothe me: "The Barbie doll teaches little girls that this is the ultimate standard of beauty. I don't want you growing up thinking like that," said my ever-practical mother. And no, mom didn't look like Phyllis Diller. We come from a long line of models, as a matter of fact.

NOTE: Being a tomboy, I probably didn't want a Barbie for the same reason most girls did. I wanted something I could strap parachutes to, or use along with an assortment of 'talking' rubber and plastic animals in a vast animal kingdom my best friend and I created.

But as time went on, and I had a son of my own, I began to see my mother's point of view. "Barbie’s body type, which translates into real life measurements 5’9”, 36-18-33, is anything but realistic and naturally cannot be achieved."* Additionally, although they've come out with certain ethnic Barbies, those fall even farther from the standard for that particular ethnicity.

"If Barbie were real woman, she would not be able to menstruate. According to a group of researchers at University Central Hospital in Helsinki, Finland, they concluded that if Barbie were an actual woman, “her narrow hips and concave stomach would lack the 17 to 22 percent body fat required for a woman to have regular periods”. Lack of menstrual cycles is a common result of women suffering from anorexia nervosa. Actually, there was a time, 1965 to be exact, with the introduction of “Slumber Party Barbie”, that the doll’s creators encouraged the young female consumers to become obsessed with their own weight. Along with the set of pink plastic hair curlers, the doll included some “bedtime reading—a book called How to Lose Weight that offered this advice: “Don’t Eat.’ ”* (I have excerpted some of these quotes from another site, but had already read all of these facts many years ago in both the newspaper and in a flyer)

Along came my boyfriend's daughter, Bugs, who had buckets full of Barbies. Incidentally, she has now grown into a lovely young lady who, if you were going to pick a doll, strongly resembles Princess Jasmine. What she doesn't resemble is Barbie.

One of the first things Bugs (who was 5 years old) said to me is, "Wow, you are so beautiful!" One of the next things she did alarmed me: She started asking to get her hair cut short and bleached blond, like mine. Instead of being flattered, I saw it as a call to action. Much to everyone's surprise, I immediately banned all Barbies from my house. I also started giving her the lecture that my mother gave me when I was her age.

At first she was bewildered. Why couldn't she look like me when she grew up? Wasn't she going to metamorphis into a tall, blond, nordic woman?

"Look at your skin, baby," I'd say. "It's the color of coffee n' cream: I wish that *I* had a natural tan all year round! And your eyes are chocolate brown, not blue. Your hair is dark, just as your eyebrows are. You are beautiful as you are! There are all different kinds of beautiful women out there. What is important is that you're beautiful on the inside, and if you're beautiful on the outside later, fine! If not, that's fine, too! You are important for what you are, not what you look like."

We got in the habit of finding darker skinned, beautiful women: Princess Jasmine, Cindy Crawford, Vanessa Williams, and more. We'd sit on the computer and hunt them down, talking about what she might look like when she grew up. And we did it for years. We also talked about character, and standards, and what a strong and intelligent young lady she was and would be.

Today, at age 11, she is a happy and confident young lady who is proud of who and what she is. She did turn out to be very pretty (although for a while there, I didn't think it was going to happen) but she isn't conceited about it. And she's not frantically searching about for skin and hair bleaching treatments, blue contacts, and diet books (although she is thin as a rail and doesn't need them).

Not too long ago, the Mattel company revamped (ha! pun intended) Barbie and made her figure a little more reasonable. But in my opinion, Barbie still sends the wrong message to girls and it objectifies women. We need a more realistic series of Barbies before I can encourage kids to play with them. Well, maybe not this realistic... but a more realistic standard needs to be set.

*excerpted from Jess Smiths Project

33 comments:

Lila said...

Yeah, those skinny dolls disgust me.

I want a doll that is scaled to be like a 5'5" woman with a 36" waist... then you can have her diet-down and twist her arm (kinda like "Growing Skipper", only this will be "Shrinking Skipper" style) and her waist goes down to like, 30".

Saur♥Kraut said...

AP3, yeah! And say things like "OK, don't twist my arm, I'm dieting already!" or "you know what diet is, dontcha? It's die, with a T!"

Whistle Britches said...

Hey I recognize BarflyBarbie, that's Susie's friend!
In other news, the temperature in Clearwater,Florida is 72 degrees fair in heighth which is also what it feels like.

mal said...

Mom never let Barbie or her ilk into our house. I am not sure if it was the reality of raising me with 3 older brothers and part of the evenhandedness in dealing with the gender mix or if Mom just downright disliked Barbie. Regardless, I was jealous of Ginny across the street who had several Barbies. On the other hand, I think I had a LOT MORE FUN than she did running around with my brothers doing tomboy stuff. (I have the broken bones and scars to prove it!)

Being what I am, I had enough angst growing up with my appearance. It would have been much worse if I had expected myself to match some impossible plastic standard

To me, the whole Barbie thing is part of women being viewed and viewing themselves as mating objects first and individuals second. Certainly the message is looks first, character second. SAD. Neither of my daughters owned or own a Barbie. Raggedy Ann etc, yes.

One advantage of being an Amazon, I can kick Barbies ass if she gives me any guff *L*

By the way, I really love your pic of "Barfly Hooker Barbie" ROTFLMAO

michelle said...

Once again this shows just how opposite our households were. Three girls, 100 barbies. Now I have boys, NO barbies.

I do have a cute story. We were getting a present for a girls birthday. While walking around looking at toys we just about went past the barbies. However Boy #1 was 5 and he hated anything girly. He was not going to walk past them at all. We said this is ridiculous get moving. I turned around just in time to see him close his eyes as he walked past the barbies.

Ellen said...

I never had any Barbi dolls either, and find that my childhood is close to that of Mallory's. I did have a baseball glove, and enjoyed climbing trees, and with three brothers it was hard for my Mom to view me as anything other than a tomboy.
She did try in other areas though, and I grew up learning to sew, cook and keep house at an early age. It became my survival mode for the future by knowing how to take care of myself without the likes of "Ken" to provide for me (in case "Ken" decided his secretary was the "Barbi-type" he longed for).
My Mom once told me (when I was first starting out on my own) that no matter the tomboy in me, she always knew there was a feministic side in me. Barbi never became part of the equation, life skills did.

United We Lay said...

I would never play with barbies. When I would get them for my birthday or some other occasion, I would give them to my sister or tear them apart. The only doll I ever owned was a cabbage patch kid and I thought that was lame, but the other kids had them. I always wanted books to read. Anything else other than necessary items was okay, but never treasured as much as a book. Even now, when people ask me what I want for christmas or my birthday, even my mother knows the answer, "Books. Always books."

mreddie said...

You are right in that the important thing is being beautiful on the inside. True beauty only flows from the inside out. ec

Brianne said...

Great post! I once read that Barbie would have to have ribs removed for her waist to be physically and humany possible. Scary.

I think almost as bad is the press, celebrities and magazines out there... no wonder anorexia and bulemia are such a huge problem.

Ted said...

There where no Barbies at my house but my brother had a wonder woman poster that I loved. I did have a used G.I.Joe with kung foo grip that my uncle gave me but mostly we played with dirt, sticks and rocks. City kids had real toys.
sorry I've been missing in action lately.
ted

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Good attitude, Saur. Good on ya.

(P.S. You know what happened to Zen Is Now? I been waiting for her to post more about home schooling, but nothing since Dec. 3. She says she's friend of yours.) I'm at mbenditem@msn.com

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Yes, I agree, Saur.

Those dolls are way too thin, have way to much color in their clothing, and always have a man by their sides.

How real is all of that?

Saur♥Kraut said...

Blog Patrol, thank you. I'm glad you like the book!

Jef, *LOL* Just be glad you're a guy and don't have to worry about it.

Barbara, way too much color in their clothing... I never thought of that! But you're right!

Marti said...

Hi - FTS sent me...great blog!

I must hide you from my bleached-blonde, starving 16 year old daughter and her Barbies, though.

(Just kidding!)

You should be very proud of what you've accomplished - raising teen girls with good self-esteem these days is tough! Congratulations!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Marti, *LOL* Love your sense of humor! Thanks for dropping in.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Ted, yeah, we grew up pretty rough, actually. Not at all citified. Glad you're back in action!

Brianne, I heard that about the ribs, too!

FTS, *LOL*

Mr. Eddie, you're absolutely right.

Polanco, like you, I'm a bookaholic.

Ellen, it continues to amaze me how much we apparently have in common...

Michelle, that's the way SaurKid is! ;o) Funny story.

Mallory, as usual, you and I are on the same page.

Uncle Joe, ;o) Great name you gave her!

Doug Bagley said...

That Barbie looks awfully familiar. I think I dated her once. And once was enough.
Happy New Year from Orlando!

AQ said...

When I was little, my babysitter's daughters played with Barbies. I either wanted to be out climbing trees or reading. I hated it when she (the babysitter) would force us to play with her daughters and those stupid dolls.

I used to be a bookaholic myself. Then I got a husband, and kids, and a job, and more kids, and a computer. I still love books, but I have trouble finding the time to read them.

Jamie Dawn said...

I allowed my daughter to have Barbies as well as other dolls. I do agree that the bodies of Barbies are really way out of reality and norms.
Body image is a huge thing that girls are forced to face at young ages. It saddens me that so many very young girls are starving themselves to try and be like Lindsay Lohan and others. There are teens getting breast implants and nose jobs with their moms by their side. it really is frightening.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Jamie Dawn, excellent point about plastic surgery in teens. It's a terrifying trend. And of course, no mom is a bad mom for letting her daughter play with Barbies. I just think it's wise to caution them against unrealistic goals.

Always, funny how much we have in common. That's why I love blogging: it brings people together who have a great deal more in common than the people you run into on a daily basis.

Doug Bagley, *LOL* And Happy New Year to YOU! Orlando is such a fun town! Great place to live... I have some clients that way. I love visiting.

Anonymous said...

I had a few Barbies as a girl and don't think I'm any the worse for it. My daughter has millions, but we just cleaned out her room and she threw away about half of them. Regardless of whether Barbies are present or not, you make excellent points about teaching the values about self-image to our daughters.

Anonymous said...

Saur,

I really regret having bought my girls Barbies. Did you that Barbie and Skipper only purchase their clothes at J Crew.

michelle said...

So what did Saurkid play with when he was little. Kid 1 loved Small Soldiers. Kid 2 (when he was very little and could barely talk) loved Telly Tubbies. He called them, Tinky Winky, Dippy, LaLa, and HO(should have been Po). His favorite was the red one (Po). At bedtime he said, "Where is my Ho" No kidding.

Thank goodness he didn't want Barbi too.

TLP said...

Most impressed by the Barbie music and film! *I bow*

I gave my girls Barbies. They turned out okay anyway. I NEVER liked dolls as a kid. No kinda doll.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Anon, *LOL* I thought they were even more designer than that!

Michelle, well, we were pretty poor, so I didn't have lots to play with. I was mostly a tomboy anyway, and did a lot of running about in the wild, barefoot, climbing trees and acting like a little savage. The main toys I played with were rubber and plastic animals. My (then) best friend and I had elaborate story plots for these animals, who ruled a kingdom of their own. Where is my ho... *LOL* That's funny!

Monique, yes. That's the key. ;o)

Janet said...

One time I tried to put hairspray in my Barbie doll's hair. What can I say? It was the eighties and I live in Jersey.

Here through BOB's...congrats on your nom!

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Now I know the truth. That's why you wanted me to post pictures of my poor Barbie repaint faerie types. You just want to make fun of them. (sniffle sniffle.)

Live, Love, Laugh said...

HAHA!!! this is the first time I have ever met anyone who declared war on Barbie! I never realized you were so militant!! lol!! Great Post, I loved it!!!

Whistle Britches said...

I will still get my girls Barbies. I'm redesigning them to make Pez candies come out of their mouth.

Linda Jones Malonson said...

For all the reasons you listed and more, I never got my daughters Barbie dolls. You are a great Mom Saurkraut .. And you should be proud of yourself.

Come to think of it maybe you should do a workshop on the subject. Positive reinforcement about individual beauty is really needed right about now with all this MTV generation and photo brushing and enhancements … is it no wonder our kids have such low self-esteem?

Anonymous said...

I spent many years trying hard to make sure that my daughter had the confidence and good sense that comes from growing up self assured. She has turned into a head turner, I too worried for a while during the gangly stage. What is really wonderful though is her inner beauty. SHe stands up for herself, she doesn't cave to the crowd and she definitely doesn't cave to men, she knows who and what she wants and she pursues her life with absolute abandon. I couldn't be prouder of her.

Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

The eldest whines she wasn't allowed to play with Barbies by her dad when all her friends had them.

She was 32 the year I sent her one for Christmas. I don't know if it helped her resentment or not.

Barbie is a doll, a pretend being. All the kid wanted was to be able to play with her friends.

Maybe her dad was wrong to keep them from her but she is a smart, sassy, athletic, fun woman and about as far from a Barbie as I am.

I, too was a bookaholic, tree climbing, motorcycle hill climber, dirt biker, swimmer, fisher, woods walker and could do anything a boy could do, ask me and I would tell you so.

I had 3 sis and a bro, some of the girls had barbies, I didn't. I had a Teddy Bear, a big monkey and a ton of books. A Bike and roller skates and ice skates and a sled.

Life was good


All you can do it what you think is right.

The Zombieslayer said...

But as time went on, and I had a son of my own, I began to see my mother's point of view. "Barbie’s body type, which translates into real life measurements 5’9”, 36-18-33, is anything but realistic and naturally cannot be achieved."

Yeah, and He-Man isn't exactly realistic either. It's because they're dolls. Just be glad women don't try to be like Strawberry Shortcake. If women claim to have bad self-esteem from a Barbie doll, I think they have some serious issues in other arenas, and a plastic doll is the least of their worries.