Pages

Monday, January 23, 2006

RATS: Apocalypse Now!!!

I am close to hallucinatory, I've lost so much sleep. It started out so simply.

Saur's Diary Entries:

Dear Diary,

Day 1: I heard some squeaking in the walls. I think it's a mouse or maybe even a roof rat. What if it's been trapped in the wall? If I hear it again tomorrow, I'll try to rescue it and put it outdoors.

Day 7: They must be coming down the walls from the attic, because I hear them in a couple places now. I guess I'll have to consider exterminating them if they don't go away. What a shame. Rats and mice are so dang cute. I hope they leave quickly. I'm so busy I just don't have time for this.

Day 14: The chewing is getting more persistant, and I think they're getting into the kitchen from under the kickplates to get to the dogfood. No problem. They'll go back to where they nest at night (probably the attic) and we'll put traps up there. I wonder if I can find any 'friendly' traps. You know, the kind that don't kill the rats? Then I can let them go in nearby woods.

Day 15: "Let me try to catch them," offered my boyfriend, sympathetically. So tonight he lay in wait, sitting on the top of the kitchen counter with a laundry basket, waiting to drop it on the unsuspecting offenders. He didn't catch one, but he scared it so badly that it ran into the utility room. He chased it down, and closed the door so it couldn't get back into the kitchen. From the utility room, I heard a muffled scrabbling, and then he called out "Hey hon, how high can these things jump?"

"I dunno," I said. "But they're wild! Don't forget they bite, too!"

There was another scuffle and a scream. "I'd say they jump about 4 feet high," he eventually called back.

We left the rat to find its way back home. I hope it hasn't started nesting in my laundry.

Day 16: They are chewing everywhere in the kitchen walls at night. Thankfully, they'll stop when they hear me or the dogs. I've found out that there's no easy way to get rid of these things. Poison will cause them to die up there and stink, or wander down here searching for water. Poison gas will seep into the house, and I'll still end up with stinking rats. I'll hide the dogfood and start putting out traps that will snap their necks. I hate to do it, but I'm buying them today. I'm sad to think about their cute little faces, but they're still pests and I can't turn the house over to them.

Day 17: Good gravy!!! They've actually started chewing into the pantry from the ceiling!!! I went into the cupboard this morning and found little rat pellets and fine plaster dust everywhere. When I couldn't find the source, I looked up to see... 2 holes in my ceiling!!! And to make it even worse, I put out the traps and they snapped every single one of them and then ate the peanut butter out of them!!! How big are these things??? I'm getting bigger traps today.

Day 18: I now understand why they were able to snap the traps so easily and escape. What I have is a breed of mutant rats the size of guinea pigs!!! I was going by the kitchen last night, and glanced in there to see if the new traps I'd bought worked at all. And what do you know, I saw my first rat! Holy cow is it big! I'm talking radioactive-waste-big! It took one look at me and dove under the cupboard kickplate! I don't want to block up the kickplate, because I'm hoping that I'll catch them in the traps down here, when I can get them. That makes sense, doesn't it??? I'm not sure; since I've lost so much sleep, I can't think clearly anymore. The endless chewing keeps me up all night, and reverberates through my head.

Day 19: I bought a $50 trap which is supposed to electrocute them. That's fine, if they choose to go into the trap and get electrocuted. But so far, there are no volunteers. I've also put out glue traps, but they keep avoiding them. In fact, the only thing that's stumbled into the glue traps is my poodle. I'm afraid that with my lack of sleep, I may end up electrocuting myself one night when I get up for a glass of water. The warnings on the trap are rather dire. Perhaps I'll call the exterminators...

Day 22: I thought I'd scared them all away, I really had. Everything was so nice and silent, for two days. "I guess they know we're on to them," I said (somewhat boastfully). But today I was reaching for a towel in my linen cupboard and found it was covered with rat crap. They've chewed a hole into my linen closet!!! The old Halloween wig (which was always at the back) has been dragged down to the floor and desecrated. Perhaps they thought it was a high-priced rat whore. All I know is I can never again wear a wig that has had carnal knowlege with a rat. That's it! All the traps go down in the bathroom tonight. Even the dogs are afraid of them. They don't growl anymore...they just avoid any places the rats are.

Day 23: Silly me. I forgot that these are no ordinary rats. They are the friggin' Rats of Nimh, they're so damned smart. They laugh at my traps, and simply push them aside to get to what they want. That's right!!! They push the traps aside!!! I found the traps all moved around this morning, as if the rats were having a giant game of shuffleboard with them. Why the hell not? They can do anything else! I'll be lucky if they're not typing sonnets on my keyboard next!!!

Day 24: I woke at 5:30 AM to hearing the most god-awful chewing I've ever heard. The rats have gone and rented tiny rat chainsaws, I swear. I couldn't sleep, and ended up in the kitchen, banging on the walls and rattling the pans occasionally. Every time I walked away, the chainsaw would start up again!!! They're not scared of me anymore. I'm sure there are rat comedians who are using me in their stand-up routines. I think they're trying to chew open a bunch of entrances so I'll never be able to stop them. I'm sure they've got friggin' blueprints down there. The dogs are definately afraid of them, but they're more afraid of me since I locked them in the cabinets this morning to try to scare the rats away. I'm talking to myself a lot now, and I'm sore from pounding on the walls so much. I hope I didn't dislodge anything in my neck. Today I call the exterminators!!! This means war!!!

c. 2006

love sonnet
by rat

i luv all tipes an kinds of food
but cheddir puts me in the mood
an when i sawd that bootiful wig
i went an danced a little jig
but now im looking for the rite kinda girl
thatll make this poor rodents hart spin an wirl
so if yer intrigued just rite an say why
remember kats an dogs need not apply

25 comments:

Ellen said...

Saurkraut- Yes! You must declare war on these vermin, as they have no boundries and no scruples to their attack on your house. How do I know this? I had the same problem, but to a lesser extent than you. They did not get into my house, but on my back screened-in porch where I kept my birdseed.

We did everytrhing you did, but to no avail. I actually scared one into a glue trap, but he was strong enough to get loose and run off for the night. I witnessed the whole thing and stood there with my mouth open in total disbelief.

In talking with an exteminator, he explained that roof rats are now one of the number one complaints of customers (over roaches)... can you believe that?

Anyhow, I did get lucky, as the neighbor cat caught it on one of her hunting expeditions in my yard.

I HATE rats, and do not find them cute. After all, they hang out in garbage dumps (when not invading homes) and are carriers of horrible diseases. ICK!!!!

I loved your story, and the personification you gave them... too funny. Wishing you the best of luck in your riddence of them!
You are deserving of a good nights sleep, as well as peace of mind.

Anonymous said...

Omg I would have moved by now. I hope you are able to get rid of them soon before they start chewing on your clothes or worse yet your matress. THey appear to be terribly brave. Get help!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Saur, I am too familiar with your rat tale. I think I told you I live in an old two story built in 1923. I have been through it all. The rat traps are bigger (give a crushing blow to fingers when trying to set the trap), and will work if you bait them with "Baby Ruth." Yes, I am not kidding. After many attempts at removal of the rats from my home, an exterminator gave me the tip. It is stickier and they have to work to get it off. I must admit, however, that the sight of a Baby Ruth Bar now gives me a queezy feeling in my stomach.

Ted said...

Wig desecration is the worst habit of these evil roagues. Maybe a 220 volt rigged wig will stop this deviant behavior. In any case it's a shame you have been targeted by these bastard rats from hell. Hope you get them soon and get some sleep.

Eddo said...

Ha Ha. I feel terrible about the rats, but they sure make a great story!!

And the pictures are great too. So funny and scary! hahhaha!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Egad! A rat has been on my computer and typed something! I have copied it to my blog. Incidentally, I went out and bought some really toxic poisons to feed them. I found out that there are only three states (Florid is one) that allow their citizens to do their own pest control!!!

Eddo, ;o)

Ted, I hadn't thought of a rigged wig. :D

Kathleen, your home must be gorgeous. I can understand your aversion to Baby Ruths. I wonder if I could try rigging the traps with Outback's Chocolate Thunder from Down Under? It might help me.

TSB, I forgot to mention it, but they did shred a t-shirt. It looked like something you'd see on a guy who'd been lost in the desert for a month.

Ellen, ;o) I am surprised that roof rats are seen as worse than cockroaches! I wonder why they're multiplying like this? Perhaps because you're in a more urban area? Here it's cuz of the fruit trees. And when the fruit trees get chopped down, they go searching elsewhere...

michelle said...

Tuk, Gross, Ew!!!

Three Score and Ten or more said...

The rats are indeed nasty, but they gave me the best laugh I've had in days. (When I find rats, i just put out vast quantities of D Con. If they eat it and die and stink, I will then cut a hole in the wall and drag them out. If they don't stink, I will hope that they dessicate, dry up, and go away.) Baby Ruths on the "great big" rat traps does work. I was having a similar problem with squirrels (in spite of the material spread by their pupblic relations people, a squirrel is just a rat with a long tail). The combination of D Con, big rat traps with Baby Ruth bars, and adopting a feral cat or two (which won't let me touch or pet them, but who accept my kibble in return for their service ) has eliminated the problem.

Michael K. Althouse said...

In hear your call to arms in the vermin war! Even though it has not been proven that they have any WMDs, it’s best not to take any chances.

I can sympathize. Not long after moving into my home last June, I heard the telltale sounds of rats scurrying about in my roof. According to an exterminator I consulted with, they are Norwegian roof rats. Undocumented aliens from Norway!

I tried traps and got a few, but it didn’t take long for them to figure out how to trip them and eat the bait. I also tried glue traps but all I trapped was a little bit of vermin hair. Somewhere there’s a half bald rat running around. Serves him (or her) right!

What finally worked was poison. I don’t know if or how much they stink as they decompose (I’m not about to go crawling around my attic to look for their carcasses), but it must not be bad enough to permeate my house.

For the moment, I am rat-free. I’d really like to deport the little suckers back to Norway.

-Mike

Ellen said...

Saurkraut- I did have a squirrel "expire" in my attic once and had to shut the room off till the stink went away (about 2 months... figured he would do it in the hot summer of Atlanta).
Up here we call squirrels "yard rats".

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I am having the laugh of the day!

We had this happen in our home, and it freaked me out! You have way more humor than I do. In fact, one of the mice got inside of my tennis shoe, and I put it on...It still tramatizes me to think about it.

Try the rat poison. That finally worked here.

But you have described it so well. The post of the week here!

Deb said...

Oh....My....Sweet....LAWD! Get out of there while you can? Do you live in a house or an apartment? This is an awful thing to experience- I can only imagine. The only thing I had an encounter with in my home were moles. They're those blind little rodents that basically feel their way around the walls.

Rats? Definitely call an exterminator!

The funniest part though, I have to admit is that they sounded as though they had chainsaws! PRICELESS! haha!!!! (Sorry to laugh at your dilemma!!!!!)

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out. Cats are a MUST in this case! (Hate cats) But---get one if you don't already have a feline.

AQ said...

Whatever happened to your possums?

Eddo said...

Ha Ha. Love the Love Sonnet - too funny.

And in response to your question on my blog, no, I don't smoke, never have and never will.

I responded on my site to your comment also. My biggest problem is eating crap or over-eating and then not working out and then beating myself up over it.

Fred said...

The outdoor cat always brings us a mouse in our garage, then chews off the head. Maybe we can lend you Buddy for a night or two - he'll take care of it.

Lee Ann said...

So funny, at first I thought it was you keeping the diary.
Very good!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

You might try bringing in some baby alligators. They like rats.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Old Hoss, ...there was an old lady who swallowed a fly...

Lee Ann, oh believe you me, it is by me and it's the complete truth. The only thing I don't claim responsibility for is the rat's love sonnet.

Fred, Buddy'd better have a really great appetite. The pest control shop owner told me it sounds as if I have 4-5 families of rats.

Acton Bell, I am seriously thinking of staying in a hotel tonite.

Eddo, I didn't think you had. Well, so many of us have the gluttony thing to work through, and you're not the only one! It's always a struggle to keep your weight down and stay sane doing it.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Always Questioning, they could never be tamed. So they ended up at a possum rescue group. But I'll blog about that tomorrow!

Deb, I own a sprawling 3,500 s.f. house. I am seriously considering moving to a hotel until this is over.

Barbara, a mouse in a tenny??? Yeek! I had a cockroach in a shoe once when I was a little girl, and that was an experience I'll never forget, no matter how much I want to.

Ellen & FTS, that is my biggest fear: rotting rat. Bleah. The stench is truly horrific. Good thing we're in Florida where I'll be able to have the windows open (probably) if need be.

Mike, Undocumented aliens from Norway! *LOL* I hope your poisoning experience mirrors mine. The funny thing is that the rats are supposed to seek out a water source, and there are some really nasty backyard neighbors with a large swimming pool nearby...

3 Score & 10, I have everything but the feral cats. But I'm considering them.

Michelle, you said it, sister.

Whistle Britches said...

Rigged Wig was my favorite Big Hair Band from the 80's........

We had squirrels eating our house up a few years ago and I raged bloody war on those housivores. I won....

They're real cute until they start eating your house up...

Jessica said...

The illustrations really add to the story.

mal said...

mmmmm, they look a bit like some of my customers........

Lila said...

Very creative!

I have a friend who has a phobia about mice... this would freak her out big time!

Dave said...

I learned to breath threw my mouth when I worked on a project with this European Dude.

If you don’t have any European friends you should take SCUBA lessons then put out the poison packets

Brianne said...

ew ew ew ewwwwwwww

but one question: what are "kickplates"?