Pages

Monday, January 09, 2006

Monday Morning Blahs

Today is going to be a tough day for me. I own two businesses, and neither one is where I think it should be right now, and some of that is due to me. I have been absentee due to the surgery I had, and it's shown. I had to go in and fire a couple people in one business, and my primary business is sluggish.

The primary business is my bread and butter, and the jerk who is my main source is still not talking to me (that's the one I sent the email to) so I will need to hop in the car either today or tomorrow and drive a couple hours to hunt him down personally. This will be a difficult visit because I have to carefully balance being strong and reliable with also needing his business and not sounding needy or begging. Happily, I have a great many more sources that I can grow if it comes down to it. But I'd prefer to not lose this business, regardless.

Additionally, there are personal problems which I don't wish to discuss on my blog but add a great deal of stress.

I think it's completely ironic that people think you've got it made if you own your own business. It's just the opposite for me, and I want out. I'm seriously considering selling the secondary business. It's become a vampire, and I'm the donor. And sadly, it's not the only bloodsucker in my life. On top of that (now I'm really getting into this whining!) my neck is very sore due to a cold snap here.

So, I'm not feeling creative enough to write about anything else this morning. Please forgive, wish me the best... I'm off to slay dragons!

16 comments:

Whistle Britches said...

Owning your own business is over rated. My wife and I (with a silent partner) had just purchased
a distributorship from a major chip/tortilla company. Working 7 days a week soon took its toll on me and the symptoms of CHF which were already there forced me to sell it. My district mgr. living 40 minutes away and being the biggest a-hole I've ever met didn't help matters. We'll be praying that your situation resolves itself in the way that is best for you.

OB Juan said...

I owned my own business for a few years before i was truly ready for it. There can be a lot of positives, but the headaches are overwhelming.

I, after a life changing event, decided to go the way of shutting it all down and going back to working for other people.

I have no doubt that I wil own my own business again one day, but for now I can do without the headaches.

I wish you the best of luck in getting things back on track and succeeding in both businesses.

mreddie said...

We tried the thing of running our own business once but it was too confining. It sounds like you are able to deal with it though. And more power to you in the slaying of those dragons - hit them hard, fast and deadly. :) ec

Ellen said...

Running your own business...I know that one well! Key word is "running", huh?
It's not bad though, as you do get to be your own boss, and have a few perks the employees will never see. That said, though, I also get the complaints and paperwork to deal with... which is not fun!

Slay those rotten dragons, Saurkraut, hopefully leaving the rest of us with a few less to deal with! You go girl!

Fred said...

Hang in there, Saur. The weather is improving here, and your businesses will to. You're doing the right things.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

File fingernails to a point in case it gets into eye-gouging.

And/or: Keep smiling.

Jamie Dawn said...

I hope your week gets better. Take care of that neck! I'm sure tension and stress aren't helping any.

Anonymous said...

Oh, brother. I can really feel for you and the pressure associated with owning your own business. It sounds like you know exactly what to do. You just sound a little tired. Focus, get it done and rest.

Beaver said...

Go gettem, Lancelot! The reason I never started my own practice was that I never felt up to it to actually carry all that weight on my shoulders.

I respect and admire your guts. Like I said, gogeddem, Tiger!

Brianne said...

Yowch. Hope things start looking up, and soon. Like, Tuesday. :o)

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Owing a business can be draining.

I am sorry you are having a difficult Monday. Tomorrow is a brand new day. That is what I truly love about live. Each day, we get a new beginning.

Hope Tuesday is good for you.

Dave said...

Saur,

You need to go to the mall and buy a new pair of shoes. They have some great new styles this year. Then have a cinnamon pretzel.

I thought George Benson played a Henway.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Hell is making your own schedule and then having to keep it. Sounds like you're due for hot chocolate (not coffee) Hot chocolate and maybe a cruller.
Go gettum tiger.

AQ said...

Hope your day went better than you expected. Hang in there.

Suzy-Q said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eddo said...

blech. I don't like problems, or sore necks, or having to hunt people down. Nope. This morning I don't envy you at all.

I'll send out a prayer for you this morning.

Feel better and slay away!