Pages

Friday, January 20, 2006

Hunting Dove

Yesterday I drove 1 1/2 hours to go visit a business located in central Florida. For those of you non-Floridians, this means that there is poorer cell phone reception, lots of cows, farms, dirt roads, and tractors. Yup, we have left civilization behind. Watch out for the natives.

Actually, Floridians are a kindly lot, and pretty civilized, wherever you go. But there is definately a 'redneck' feel in central Florida; there's no getting around it. Can I get an "amen" from my fellow Floridians?

A central Floridian is what you might call "The Salt of the Earth." They like hunting and fishing, have a faint southern accent, are very charming, vote Republican, go to church even if they don't believe it, still say "Yes ma'am", and open doors for you. If I tried to open the door for them, they'd be stymied.

The group I met with was mixed. It is owned by a couple wealthy central Floridians who went away to school, are very educated and interesting, but... you can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy. So, of course, the conversation turned to hunting.

Whenever I think of hunting, I think of Elmer Fudd. "C'mon, Wover! Let's go hunting!" Perhaps that cartoon shaped my entire feeling about hunting. I've never been at peace with it.

However, I have a brother who went inexplicably redneck for a while, and took up hunting. We'd argue about it constantly, but he pointed out that as long as the animals are being used for meat and fur, what was wrong with it? And I had to agree with him. Still, the entire idea leaves me squeamish and you won't find me out huntin' wit' da boys. I have this small suspicion that hunting scars the soul, just as working in a meat-processing plant would. There is nothing to back that feeling, though. In fact, the hunters I know are usually much better people than the sissified lounge lizards and city boys back here.

During my conversation yesterday, I discovered that there are actually hunting parties put together to hunt dove in Mexico. That was a new one on me!

Apparently Mexican farmers were so riddled by doves (which are considered to be a pest akin to rats there) that they were poisoning them left and right. There were reports of some farms where dead, poisoned doves were piled as high as a two-story building and set on fire, to prevent rotting and contagion.

Yet dove meat is apparently a tasty treat, so someone put two-and-two together and actually got American hunters to pay to spend time in Mexico and do their pest control for them. Who said that Mexicans are stupid?

Intrigued, I asked for more details. They told me that hunters only keep dove breasts (that's all you can get out of dove) and that its a tender, purple-colored meat. They tell me you can get roughly two bites out of each breast, and it takes about 6 doves to feed a hungry boy. Before you turn your nose up at this, remember that they used to eat pigeon in the 1800s and before, which is closely related, and it was considered just fine to do so.

They also donate any doves that they don't take back home with them to the hungry families in town, so the town is now thriving.

The Mexicans in that area have invented a tasty way to prepare dove, as well, and talking about it made their mouths water. They take a breast, place a piece of cheese, a jalapeno pepper, and some spices on it, roll it up and hold it together with a toothpick, and grill it. They tell me it's close to a religious experience for a hunter.

This summer they're going to Mexico to hunt for the first time. And they've promised to bring me some dove.

14 comments:

Ted said...

Kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit

Anonymous said...

I really have a problem with the whole hunting thing...it just grosses me out. :(

Michael K. Althouse said...

I'm not one for hunting either, never have been. I'm not really all that much into fishing. As a matter of fact, I try not to think about where my meat and leather come from in general. I do however, hold open doors for ladies, so perhaps I haven't totally transformed into a "sissified lounge lizard city boy."

Contrary to popular belief, California is mostly not like LA, SF, San Jose, San Diego or my current home The Greater Scaramento Area. In fact, less than a one hour drive can bring one to some of the most beautiful rural areas in the state. Lots 'o' ranch and ag land. And they too vote republican, hunt and some even have a hint of a southern accent, though I'm not sure why that is. And many are highly educated.

As for dove, I hear it tastes like chicken -

Mike

Ellen said...

I'm just thankful I live in times where I can go buy my meat at a grocery store, freshly wrapped in plastic. If I had to witness carcasses, I'd probably turn vegetarian. Just TMI for me.

exMI said...

dove is pretty good. Too much work for too little food usually though. Enjoy it if they bring you some, that is the better way to get it.
Although I'll grant you, it isn't as fun....

dddragon said...

I've had squirrel, and it does indeed taste like dark-meat chicken.

Pigeons are a problem in some places, but you won't catch me eating one.

High Power Rocketry said...

The gun laws dont help to reduce the redneckyness in florida...

R2K

Whistle Britches said...

It's a rule in Oklahoma that you have to hunt and fish. Or was that a commandment?

TLP said...

I've never hunted and never will. I don't have a problem with people hunting as long as they eat what they kill.

Never had dove. But I like fowl, so I'd probably like it.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Doves are fun to hunt, but you would swear sometimes that they can see the shot and dodge around it. I have seen dove hunters who only killed a couple of doves, shoot so much that their shotguns became so hot that they couldn't hold them. Doves are not like pigeons (to eat that is). When I lived in Finland on no income, we used to trap the pigeons that landed on our fire escape. Dirty, lice covered creatures that tasted surprisingly like mud-- but they had life-giving protein.

Lee Ann said...

I lived in Orlando for about 6 months, then moved to South Florida where I was a resident for 7 years. There is a definite different feel to both areas.
As far as the hunting, I will pass too. I have tried deer a few times, just cannot ever seem to swallow it, no matter how it is prepared. Others trying the same deer have said it was marvelously tender and tasty....I just couldn't do it. Bambi kept popping into my head. So I know it is a mental thing with me. I doubt I could ever try the dove, no matter how marvelous it is. I will have to live that one vicariously through you! ;)

The Lazy Iguana said...

I try to avoid Central Florida. When I go somewhere, I try to stick to the coast. Not that it helps very much. Fort Myers aint exactly a city if you know what I mean.

One time I drove on some State Road through those land locked counties around the lake. HOOOO-WEEEEE there were a lot of old Ford trucks. With gun racks. And lots of camo baseball caps too.

But not many teeth.

The Zombieslayer said...

A central Floridian is what you might call "The Salt of the Earth." They like hunting and fishing, have a faint southern accent, are very charming, vote Republican, go to church even if they don't believe it, still say "Yes ma'am", and open doors for you.

I think I'd like these folks. ;)

Never had dove. Gives me yet another reason to take yet another vacation in Mexico. :)

Paul Nichols said...

You don't know what you're missing! You have a treat coming. Love them dove, quail, pigeons...when I was a kid we raised 'em to eat 'em. Yum! And by the way; I grew up on the Mexican border.