Pages

Friday, January 13, 2006

St. Petersburg


Yes, St. Petersburg was originally named after St. Petersburg, Russia. And I've thought it over and have to revise and earlier statement: I think St. Pete is the most important town in Pinellas. In some ways its a close tie with Clearwater but St. Pete excels in areas where Clearwater simply can't compete. Oh not the beaches, of course, but in almost every other area.

Baywalk is relatively new area that has helped add some life into the downtown St. Pete area. It's a mix of shops, restaurants, a large movie theater, and a couple upscale cocktail lounges. Many people who work or live in the area meet at Baywalk for cocktails or dates. The problem is that the rest of St. Pete doesn't have any real nightlife to speak of (neither does Clearwater).

Nearby is the beautiful Vinoy Hotel. It's a must-see and I'd highly recommend it. It's very old and was almost demolished once until the angry citizens of Pinellas rose up and demanded that it be saved. It has now be restored to it's old glory, and it's honestly one of the most beautiful pieces of old architecture we have. It also is huge, and renown for it's Sunday brunch and fantastic services.

If you want great night life you'll have to go to Ybor, in Tampa (which I'll talk about tomorrow). I love dancing, so when I tell you that you need to see Ybor, trust me: You need to see it.

St. Petersburg is an older city. In some of the older residential areas, the streets are paved with pink brick. It's a gorgeous area, lined with period homes and ancient trees. Needless to say, you pay a fortune to get in there, but many believe it's worth it.

Ft. DeSoto Park is located at the edge of St. Pete. It was named the top beach in Florida, but for the life of me, I can't understand why. The sand is always exceptionally hot, and peppered with rocks, shells, and spiny tree pods. I suppose it's because it's linked to the actual fort, and there are camping facilities as well.

The fort itself was built in the early 1900s out of coquina-shell-concrete and is open for tourists, complete with cannons. Additionally, there's a nearby island that you can either ferry out to, or sail to (as I do) with tame tortoises you can hand-feed.

Then there is St. Pete Beach itself. It's not as nice, pure and sugary as Clearwater Beach, but it has a flavor of its own. And there are some specatacular resorts there, such as the Tradewinds Resort, which is definately worth staying in. I would also recommend the Don Cesar but whatever you do, don't eat there.

The Pinellas County area (which includes St. Pete and Clearwater) used to be known as "God's Waiting Room", but no more. It has grown into a major metropolitan area and a popular tourist destination. And I get to live here year-round.

14 comments:

Dave said...

Saur,

Excellent post. St. Pete is a great place to live if you’re a poor navi-Gator like myself since it is roads are laid out on a grid.

The Pink Street’s houses are nice but unfortunately a car is stolen every 10 seconds on these streets.

Bay Walk is nice during the day. You do need to be wary of the Uhurus at night. I think I’d rather be brainwashed by the Scientologist then stabbed by the Uhurus.

Pass-a-Grille Beach in St. Pete is a great lesbian beach. Lesbians showing their commitment in person is quite refreshing, rather than relying on the stereotypical videos.

The Park Ranger at Ft. Desoto is a really nice guy.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Mr. Gator, you made me really laugh out loud.

Bay Walk is nice during the day. You do need to be wary of the Uhurus at night. I think I’d rather be brainwashed by the Scientologist then stabbed by the Uhurus.


Sad, but true... But for the most part the Uhurus stay away from civilized people.

Ellen said...

What are the Uhurus?

Saur♥Kraut said...

Ellen, a violent black group that hates whites and is always preaching against them. It's a weirdo faction that's arisen in the last, say, 10 or so years in St. Pete.

Lava said...

Those are beautiful pics - looks like a plcae I'd like to visit.

mreddie said...

I know what you are doing - you're torturing those poor Northerners that are stuck in the snow, right? ec

Anonymous said...

Saur, I agree, St. Pete is a beautiful place to visit and live. I am fortunate to live in the northeast section of town. I love the 1920s feel of the homes and the red brick streets. I am also in love with our flourishing arts community. Downtown is a beautiful mix of galleries, art studios, five museums and several theatre and music venues. St. Petersburg hosts many outstanding outdoor concerts, art shows and festivals throughout the year. Can you tell that I was involved in the Chambers downtown development efforts? I worked closely with the Chamber committee in the late 80s and early 90s. It was a wonderful experience working with a group of supremely talented community leaders who carefully laid out a redevelopment vision that set the stage for our jewel on the bay.

Saur♥Kraut said...

FTS, *LOL* This chocolate cow avoided that assiduously.

Kathleen, we undoubtedly know each other.

Mr. Eddie, exactly! I am gloating in the fact that we have such perfect weather right now. However, in the summer YOU can laugh at ME. ;o)

Lava, you and your family are welcome to stay with me anytime, too...

Dan said...

Ah sigh. Too bad I didn't make it down to Florida on my trip. Would have been great to winter down there as had been part of the original plan if the money had held out....

It looks and feels like such a different world over where you are.

Deb said...

Sadly enough, I never visited FL. I don't know any nice areas, and I certainly don't want to go to the mainstream/touristy areas to vacation. The places that you are mentioning in your blog are places that I would love to see. I may look into taking my next trip there. Great pictures too.

dddragon said...

Is that chocolate cow there in St. Pete? The Cow Parade was here in 2004 and I got to paint one of those grazing cows. It was great.

The weather has been dreary here, I'd love to be down your way!

Anonymous said...

Saur, possible, nut I think you are a little too young.;)

Anonymous said...

Oops! That is but, not nut!

poopie said...

You're making me drool with this post...I need some tropical time BAD. LOVE that music over on the side too...very nice!!