Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Overlooking Outlook
...and... Labelmaker: Part Deux

I am so overwhelmed right now. There are so many problems that I'm juggling, that I'm exhausted both mentally and physically. I'm falling asleep early, and hating the mornings, and that's just not like me.

"The straw that broke the camel's back" was when my Microsoft Outlook froze up last night (which is my business email account). It turns out that if you end up with too many messages, it automatically freezes and (according to the internet sites I've visited) good luck trying to fix it.

I've been getting a lot of messages lately from very important sounding people like "The Grand Vizier Ahum Poobah Rasqualli The Third" who are desperately begging for me to send them lots of money because their small island country is in sore need of it. And it's amazing how many Grand Viziers there are out there. So all these Grand Viziers have been clogging my email these last two days and I just couldn't stay ahead of the buggars.

Spam. Dontcha love it?

I tried deciphering a couple of websites about the problem. They make it sound so easy! "Just use the fts.rpq file to clean it up. Then do an amansuter patch on the zicombapre file in the ascubre.pst part of your Outlook program..." See? Easy as pie! If you're fluent in GeekSpeak, that is.

I finally gave up, turned off my computer, laced on my sneakers, threw a leash on one of the dogs, and started walking toward my parents' home. Sure I have a car! But I needed to walk.

My parents live only a couple of miles away, so it wouldn't have been much of a trek at all. But it was dark outside and by the time I got halfway there, I realized that there was very little light and lots of woodsy areas around. Being a sensible girl, I called my parents at this point to tell them that I was coming. And being sensible parents, they drove out to get me.

So I ended up in my parents' kitchen last night, venting. Most people would have been shocked or made sympathetic noises, but suddenly Dad started howling with laughter and soon we all were hysterical.

I love my parents. They put life in perspective. And thank heavens Dad is a computer genius. He's coming over on Sunday to try to fix it.

My Mom's Response to My Labelling Blog

This is from Mom the Labelmaker for your blog friends. (What can I say, Cutie? You've got writing talent. Time you wrote a book.)

More labeling ideas to think about:

Funny, as I was teaching two Bible studies just this week, I brought up this verse: "The eyes of the Lord are in every place, beholding the good and the evil." (Prov 15:3) I said, "That's a verse my children probably remember from when they were young. I tucked it in the container of chocolate bits to remind them it was off limits!"

Saur's Response

Yeah. We remember the verse. It was on the little slip of paper we kept pushing to the side to get to the chocolate. ;o)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to have someone to put it all in perspective for you. Hope the weekend is better!

Davoh said...

Depends on which "lord" ya wanna follow, I guess.

AQ said...

Tell your mom - perfect timing!
I think I'll stick that verse in my teenagers car. He's getting his license this week!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Always Questioning, ;o) I'll tell her.

Davo, of course! I mean, I can't think of any buddhist that quotes the Bible. :D

TSB, it makes it soooo much better.

Michael K. Althouse said...

Good morning saur!
Well it's morning still for us left-coasters anyway. So sorry to hear about your computer probs. I too used to have issues with things Microsoft but I've found the answer to all those irritating little things that used to drive me crazy: Macintosh!

I plan to write about my "conversion" soon, but in a nut shell, I have been a pc loyalists since the days of DOS. Indeed, I was well on my way to irreversible geekdom. Thank God I was able to break free and become an end-user!

Don't worry about your problems, it'll be alright. Don't ignore them either! Just breath in. Breath out. There, don't you feel better. It'll be ok, it always is.

Always good to hear from you - gotta run. My Harley is calling my name, it's a beautiful day for riding! California - gotta live it. ;-{)

Mike.

Jenn said...

I agree with your mom, you could write a book.

TLP said...

I love the note-in-the-chocolate story!

My spam gets separated and once a week I glance at the list and then delete it all with a click. But I don't use Outlook.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Nobody said Saur was stupid....

(Enjoy your doves.)

High Power Rocketry said...

Wait are you a woman?

Deb said...

A little verse from "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield...

I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined
I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten


My point? You need to write a book. I think you have so much in you--it's a shame if you didn't. You have knowledge that is above the average 'Jane'---and your ability to read people psychologically is amazing. I wish I could book a therapy appointment with you!

I hope God--our Lord gives you everything you ever dreamed of. You help many people---including me!!!

Thanks!




Now back to my psychotic bubble.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

For what it's worth, spambayes works wonderfully on Outlook (It doesn't like Outlook Express- or is it vice versa) Google spambayes, it is a free program. You have to take an hour teach it what you hate, but it gets 400 garbage posts a day that I never have to read.

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

You have a good mind and attitude, S!

I too have been falling asleep early, but I think it is more because I do not want to face the world these days.

Hope your sleeping patterns become more regulated. Have a good weekend!

Ellen said...

I truly believe that there is something to be said about walking away from problems to sort them out better when you are not so much in the middle of them. Somehow, it clears the mind for me.
You know you have to come back to face them, but having a little "me" time in the middle makes them easier to tackle.

Good idea to take the dog out for a walk, and head to your parents home. Nothing better than to go to people who love and understand you.

As for your writing, and soon to be published book... go for it! We all love coming here to read what you wrote.... and yearn for much more!

The Zombieslayer said...

"The straw that broke the camel's back" was when my Microsoft Outlook froze up last night (which is my business email account). It turns out that if you end up with too many messages, it automatically freezes and (according to the internet sites I've visited) good luck trying to fix it.

Yet another reason I'm glad I use zero Microsoft products. The only time Microsoft will ever make a product that doesn't suck is when they make vacuum cleaners.

Go the Unix route. Everyone's now using some variation of Unix except Microsoft.

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Saurkraut!!!!!

Long time no write (in here...) thanks for the name-check a couple of weeks back...last couple of months in 2005 was crazy--including going to Tunis for a good two weeks (almost) abt a UN summit on this very same information society (WSIS),where it was made more known that many computer users are moving more away from Microsoft to...FOSS, or free and open-source software...you might be interested in checking the link http://www.itu.int/wsis

Now, as for this quote" I love my parents. They put life in perspective", I just love that.

I think you might want to write a post abt ur parents some day...and make us allllllllllllll green;-)

Actually, I might consider that. In an age that a lot of us, including ME, sometimes take our parents for granted, it's good to know there are people out there who appreciate them greatly.

thankyou!!!