Pages

Friday, January 06, 2006

Dating Online

Remember, click on this picture to enlarge it.


I was talking to a friend who's a fellow blogger last night, and one of the things we discussed reminded me of the days I used to co-host a radio show about relationships. As I told him, overall I had a great time, though I would've done things differently if I'd been the sole host. The primary host (let's call him Sam) had an agenda: he wanted to promote his dating website as much as possible. It kinda got in the way of truth at times.

You see, I think that you can meet 'The One' online; I really do! In fact, I know personally of some couples that met each other that way and lived happily ever after. But I also think you can make terrible mistakes. That's why I recommend the datings services that either screen their candidates or at least put everyone through a rigorous personality test. It could make the difference between "happily ever after" and "chopped up and buried under a playground set in Milwaukee".

I once began a relationship with someone I met online. He was everything he had said he was, except for one little detail: he was a sociopath. And yes, I mean that in the clinical sense of the word. But, I was lucky enough to diagnose it early on and get the hell outta Dodge. Not everyone is so lucky.

As Sam would point out, there are psychos everywhere so what difference does it make if you meet them face-to-face or online? I think the biggest difference is that we let our guard down online more than we do in person.

For instance, say you get a new co-worker sitting in that cubicle next to you. Do you: A) Go over and wish him good morning? B) Carefully rehearse and say something witty in order to "put your best foot foreward?" or C) Immediately start sharing the intimate details of your girls night out with the Chippendale Dancers? I'm going to help you out here: unless he's as gorgeous as a movie idol, it had better be A. But if he's as gorgeous as a movie idol, go for B. Above all else, avoid C.

But in the internet world, we ignore A and very rarely bother with B. So, instead of going through the intricate social dance, we cut to the chase and share some of our intimate details with total strangers. As my teenage cousin often says: TMI!!! (Too Much Information). It makes you an easier mark. And don't forget, the studmuffin you're pursuing may be misrepresenting himself, even if you aren't.

So here is Saur's Advice to the Lovelorn: If You Are Exploring Internet Dating, Be Careful. There are enough bodies missing as it is, and they haven't even found Jimmy Hoffa.

13 comments:

mal said...

under a playground in Milwaukee? Come on, thats unfair! They put em in freezers instead, much more genteel

Saur♥Kraut said...

Mallory, *LOL* I think Hannibal the Cannibal would agree with you...

michelle said...

My sister has been dating a guy for 3 years that she met online.

poopie said...

Is it Friday already? FTS sent me but it took me all week to get here ;) I've had some pretty "interesting" experiences with online guys, and none of them were what I would classify as good. Learned my lesson the hard way!

Anonymous said...

The whole online thing just plain sucked for me, I'll never go back. Hey and what's with bashing Milwaukee? I have no bodies under the playground at my park that I know of, now what's lurking in my pond is another story I won't go into right now.

You are soooo right about people giving too much info online, I learned the hard way that it's mostly just smoke and mirrors.

Lee Ann said...

I agree. I think one can meet the one online. I think it would be very feasible. Sometimes corresponding through writing is much easier to start off with than conversation.

Dan said...

There are also add-on services like relationslip.com that try to make the online dating scene a little more sane.

By posting and reading reviews of online daters, you'll be able to get a better idea of with whom you are really going on a date.

So check it out. By forming a large community and developing reputations, you can help everyone one, including yourself!

Ellen said...

I sometimes wonder how many people bypass A & B and jump right into C.... whether they are online or in person, and dating or not.
Dr. Phil just did a show on that the other day. He said the same thing you said: TMI.
What a coincidence! I think you're both right!

Dave said...

Saur,

From a male perspective Internet dating is very efficient. You can set up your weekend while eating your microwave lasagna.

I can see where it would be stressful for a woman. Obviously the man is looking for wild sex but you hope he doesn’t collect pinky fingers.

Humidity at 43%, a perfect hair day.

Jamie Dawn said...

My brother has had a female roommate for several years. They have always just been friends. She met a man through E-Harmony.com and my bro just played piano for their wedding a couple of weeks before Christmas. Very cool, huh? It does happen, and you're right about being careful out there!!

I did your meme today (Friday) with a bit of a twist.

Miss Cellania said...

You, I really would like to try all three methods out on a Chippendale lookalike.

The Zombieslayer said...

Berkeley Breathed knows where Jimmy Hoffa's body is. He's under Tammy Faye Baker's makeup. You ever see that specific cartoon?

Heh, I was already with Mrs. Z before I knew about the internet.

mckay said...

i'm one of those "let me one-up you" commenters jamie dawn mentioned...

i married a sociopath. ha! jokes on me :)

i tried e-harmony. nuthin. right now i'm focusing on my son, my home and my job...and blog commenting.
time to go focus on the job thingy.