Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Clearwater


Now I'm going to put on my tour guide hat and take you on a tour of the Bay Area. Fellow Tampa Bay bloggers might want to join in and add something, so feel free! I'm going to start with Clearwater because it's the most important city in Pinellas County, with Tampa being the most important city in Hillsborough County (which is across the water from Pinellas).

Unlike Hillsborough County, Pinellas County has beaches. And Clearwater Beach is one of the top 10 beaches in the state of Florida. In my opinion, it should be the top one, because the sand is amazing sugar-fine sand and feels incredibly silky and is much purer than other sands. No other beach in Florida has that sand (and I've visited many beaches).

If you'd like to get the opinion of someone who relocated from Texas to Clearwater Beach, go to Why Clearwater Beach? Its a little out of date (he's married now, he says in a sidenote, and they don't allow smoking in restaurants anymore) but it's pretty accurate. He also has some excellent tips in there for love and dating.

I was once commissioned to write a book on Clearwater history, but after doing my research, I had to decline it. I didn't have access to much material, due to the library burning down in the early 1900s. Even the librarians shrugged at me and said they had little they could give me.

You see, Clearwater has always been a town that 'lived for the moment.' It isn't famous for many historical sites, and although some luminaries performed in The Royalty Theater (which still exists) they were merely passing through. These performers included Elvis, Monroe, Chaplin, and others. Don't be at all fooled by the website; the theater is only a shadow of what it once was. Its impossible to get enough people who wish to travel to downtown and park there. And as a reference point: The picture of the owners is at least 30 years out of date.

Then there is the gorgeous, historical, haunted Belleview Biltmore which was built by the same gentleman who built the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. Many weddings take place here (I've always thought it would be lovely to be married there) and it's also a great getaway for golfers and vacationers. It's not directly on the beach, but that has it's advantages, too. It was bought up by some Japanese investors with no loyalty to the historical value of the place, and they are attempting to tear it down and turn it into condos. As a result, the Save the Biltmore group has formed (I've donated generously). We're looking for a purchaser!

The main parts of Clearwater are the actual beaches (you pass through the downtown to get to them) and the uptown and "Countryside" areas (where the real heart of the city is). These places are where most of the businesses and residences are located. Clearwater has tried to revive the downtown area for years, but with little to no success, with the exception of Scientology.

I will say (as I always do) that I have personally known some Scientologists and found them to be very personable. I feel they're as misguided as they feel *I* am. But if the concept of Scientology makes you queasy, then settling into the downtown Clearwater area would not be recommended.

Clearwater Beach is still my favorite part of Clearwater. It's where I grew up, and where I go when I need to recharge my batteries. It's still generally a haven of peace and quiet. Sadly, they now charge for parking there, and even those of us who are citizens must pay for the privilege of visiting our own beach. If you don't wish to pay to go there, other beaches are available with only a short drive of a couple miles down the beach. But there's just something about Clearwater Beach: it seems to be the perfect balance of commercial and residential buildings with a vast amount of sand, dunes, and water.

The rest of Clearwater is merely a nice, warm, breezy place with palm trees. Some parts are actually rather seedy looking, due to the lack of ordinances we had in the early years of our growth. But we happily drive past them, and give them our business. It's not really their fault that they were built in the tasteless 60s and 70s. The city council has rumbled for years about passing an ordinance that would force everyone to adapt their facades to a more uniform and (should we say it?) prettier style, but I doubt it will ever happen. The true beauty is on the beach and in some of the better office parks and residential areas, and that is really where it matters.

19 comments:

Ellen said...

With the beautiful pictures, you made me miss the beach more than I normally do. I grew up on Long Island Sound in Connecticut. When we moved th NH in the 70's, I was still only an hour away. Now in ATL, I am close to 5 hours away.
I did have a chance to visit Pensacola and Destin.... and loved the white sand and emerald water.
Hmmmm.... looks like a visit to Clearwater should be on my next venture to Florida. I love a good beach, and find it has a way of re-charging my batteries as well.

Thanks for the lovely pictures... I have good visions in my head for the rest of the day!

mal said...

sounds like a bit of Oz in Florida. I hope they do not completely pave it like they did California

Anonymous said...

Nice post, but must disagree a little. St. Petersburg is the most important city in Pinellas County. *laughing* My civic pride showing?

Saur♥Kraut said...

Kathleen, I think St. Petersburg has come a lonnnng way over the last 10 years, and I think it's about equal to Clearwater now. It's got more money, and therefore more power, but you can't argue that Clearwater's beaches aren't better. Also, we've never had our black community riot and kill and maim people. However, St. Petersburg definately has more historical sites and prettier historic homes. They also have a museum... but I will get into all that tomorrow.

Mallory, sadly, only 3% remains undeveloped.

Ellen, it's definately worth the trip, in conjunction with St. Pete and Tampa.

Anonymous said...

I've lived in Florida most of my life (grew up in Port Charlotte and now live in the Orlando area), but I've never been to Clearwater Beach though I've always heard it is beautiful. I had no idea about the Scientology links!

Ted said...

When I was a kid we took one real vacation. We went to Sunken Gardens. I've been to Florida as an adult, is is pretty.

So, you are back to teaching?

Saur♥Kraut said...

Ted, I am a teacher at heart, even though both of my parents (professors/authors) made me swear to never get into teaching professionally. So, this is my outlet! ;o) And there are no pop quizes.

Monique, oh yeah! They came here in the 70s. One of the politicians' assistants here is old enough to remember when they moved into the Ft. Harrison Hotel which (at that time) was known as The Lemon Tree. She also remembers how surprised everyone was to see them walking back and forth at the top of the hotel with ouzis (guarding the hotel from what? Baptists?)

Lee Ann said...

That is beautiful. When I lived in Boca Raton, I used to visit my grandparents in Clearwater and my sister in Tampa. Florida, isn't it great?

mreddie said...

We live in Clearwater - South Carolina - but we don't have any beaches. Although there is a three acre pond behind the house. :) They tell us that this was an ancient beach thousands of years ago - plenty of sand. ec

Dan said...

What, no mention of the library?

Fred said...

Nice job, Saur. I really can't add much. It's unfortunate that this area is so big; it can sometimes take us an hour to the beaches. Orlando is closer to me than Clearwater and St. Pete.

I prefer the more secluded beaches south, including Belleair Beach. No tourists.

TLP said...

Lovely. JUST LOVELY!

But it's chilly and raining here today. You just can't beat that, huh?

Deb said...

It's sad sometimes when things change like that--but regardless, this is your place of relaxation and tranquility. It looks so lovely and I'm sure it still is!

You're making me wanna vacation again!

Jamie Dawn said...

If I'm ever in Florida, I will try and visit Clearwater beach. The sand sounds like something I would like. I hate the kind of sand that hurts to walk on; this sounds perfect!
We toured the Biltmore in NC. It is amazing. I can't imagine living in a place like that... well, maybe I can!

michelle said...

Home Sweet Home! We are so lucky to live here!

Dave said...

Saur,

I'm a member of the MPH Baby Alumni Club. I was brought up in the Grove area of Clearwater but moved to Condon Gardens when my career took off. Oh those cotillion days at the Jack Tar, I bet we danced.

Anonymous said...

Kathleen,

Don't get depressed. As long as you live on Snell Isle you should be safe.

The Zombieslayer said...

Never been to that part of Florida. I try to avoid Scientologists hot spots though. The Zombieslayer isn't too crazy about Scientologists. Oh, if you get a chance, see if you can find the South Park episode on Scientology.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

I enjoy Florida. One of my kids (and three of my grandkids and one of my great grandkids) lives there. I don't remember the beaches at Clearwater, but I have a time share at Panama City Beach, and the beach is wonderful there with the most gorgeous blue water (probably can't compete with Clearwater, but what you can't remember you can't compare.)