Pages

Monday, January 16, 2006

Faux Christians

I am about to write a post that is truthful, but will be abhorred by some Christians who read this blog; because there is an unspoken rule to not talk badly about other Christians, in case you taint everyone's perception of Christianity.

*I* believe that you taint Christianity when you don't tell it like it is, because no one can tell the difference between a genuine Christian and a faux one.

Please don't bother telling me that only God judges the heart. Sure in the Bible it says that God judges the heart. It doesn't say that we're not supposed to be wise, however. In fact, until the last 30 years or so, wisdom was prized in the churches. Now it is a rare, and somewhat despised, commodity. Why? Because it gets in the way of doing what you want to do without getting called on it. We'll also address the common misconception of judging shortly.

Before I go any further, let me discuss different types of Christians so that we're all on the same page. Please note: I am not faulting anyone for their beliefs. What I'm about to do is fault them for their hypocrisy. And this post is coming from a perspective of Christianity, so please don't argue about how an alternative religion is superior. If you'd like, just mention that you'd like a post dealing with your particular religion or lack of religion and we'll tackle that later.

Also, I know this post is long, but we have to agree on some common terms and concepts so that we're all on the same page. Pleeeeeease bear with me.

Terms:

1) There's the "christian" that is closer to being an agnostic. For them, being "christian" merely means they're not muslim, buddhist, or anything "exotic". They have no real beliefs. As long as they are honest about that, fine with me. I'd recommend the more informed term "agnostic", however.

2) The Born-Again Christian. These are Christians that take their faith very seriously and because they try to adhere to everything in the Bible in order to please God, they are sometimes seen as the "goody two shoes" of the lot. However, I'd take a B.A. Christian over most others as an employee. But they're as rare as hen's teeth. There can be some B.A. Christians who adhere to almost everything in the Bible but choose to not go to church. I personally have no problem with that choice whatsoever because this is where *I* am. I tell people who ask that I've developed a psychological allergy to churches but I also have a ministry with others that have the same allergy. We grew up seeing way too much hypocrisy and divisiveness from...

3) The "Sunday" Christian, a.k.a the Faux Christian. These are the people who talk the talk but don't walk the walk. They may have bumper stickers that read "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven" because this gives them an open license to behave badly but excuse it away. Come on! Do you think that Christianity would have survived all these years if Jesus's message had boiled down to "It's OK to be a jerk. Just tell everyone you're a forgiven jerk and forgeddaboutit."

I do think that the Bible was a mixed document. There are some universal truths that are a given, and there are some that were a cultural necessity for that time but not a universal truth.

For example, God may have told the Israelites to eat kosher to make it more difficult for them to mix with pagan cultures. Or, it may have been a bunch of wise dietary precautions that saved them from problems such as acute food poisoning or trichinosis. No one can be certain, but it was abandoned in the Christian New Testament, so apparently the need for it had gone. I'll grant you that it was dissolved by a pronouncement from God himself, but other practices have been abandoned as well, and he hasn't come down from on high to announce those.

And I don't expect other Christians to be perfect, because I'm surely not! But what I do expect is for them to do the right thing, and make amends when they don't.

Faux Christians

I use the term 'Faux Christians' because like faux finishes and faux gems, they look pretty and sound great, but they're not the real thing: As I said, they talk the talk but don't walk the walk. When the least bit of pressure comes to bear, their faith is out the window, and they are out the door.

I once had the owner of a company say to me "I will never hire another Christian again, as long as I live." He knew I was a Christian, but he considered me to be the exception, not the rule. What a horrible shame.

Faux Christians are often the most verbal about their faith. They are full of "I'll pray for yous", "If God wills", and "God bless yous". They talk loudly about their need to have Sundays off. They tell everyone about their religious conversions or how God is active in their lives.

I have a very close friend (let's call him Pov) who is an agnostic. Every time Pov sees a Faux Christian, it's one more nail in the coffin. I keep telling him "Look, these are not the genuine article," but I'm getting tired of saying it.

Pov had a boss who was a very loud and dynamic Faux Christian. The guy sure talked the talk, but also believed firmly in screwing the customer and the competition and getting around the law whenever possible. Pov really idolized the guy: This was a very rich and successful man! I kept warning Pov that the guy was a Faux Christian and eventually he would turn on Pov, too. And he did. I was very glad I'd warned him about it, because it lessened the blow.

The reason that I'm writing this today: Recently, I hired someone (who was a Faux Christian) to be in charge of my team of people. Let's call her Jill. I began to get nervous when she started leaving them notes with "God bless yous". Why?

In the Bible Jesus says "But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will repay you." Jesus is saying, shut your mouth and shut the door! But Faux Christians are for show only. They trumpet their godliness from the rooftops.

One day, Jill just didn't show up to work. I called and left her a couple messages. I stayed behind to help the team, and worked there all day (neglecting my primary business). I didn't reschedule anyone, because I was hoping that Jill had gone AWOL for a very good reason. It negatively impacted both of my businesses.

The next morning Jill didn't show again, and didn't return my call that morning, either. I worked with the team for half of that day. At this point, I had to assume she'd quit, and I made the appropriate arrangements. The team grumbled about "Christians" all day.

That night when I got home, I got an email from her, telling me that she'd quit but hadn't wanted to call to tell anyone. However, she was full of Faux Christian platitudes and hoped we'd remain friends. I wrote back that I was disappointed in her, and felt she had done the wrong thing. I also added that she could spare me the Faux Christian blatherings. She wrote back in anger, and here was my final reply:

Jill,

" I'm not going to argue my Christianity," you said.

I didn't ask you to. I told you my impressions and I was (and am) sincere about it. This was a poor Christian testimony. Trying to hide behind your actions or trying to justify them by telling me that "Moreover, most people who judge Christians are just unhappy with themselves" is a cop-out.

I'm sorry if you're hearing what you need to hear for the first time. Perhaps if this is the way you behave, someone should have told you this before. I'm actually not in the least bit angry, as you say (perhaps you'd like it if I was? Would that make you feel better?) I'm merely very disappointed. Yes, Christians are people too, but it DOESN'T give us a license to behave as we'd like, or excuse it away. In fact, we are actually under MORE of an obligation to behave properly because we are walking, breathing testimonies.

The part that was wrong was not even picking up the phone to let us even know. When we first interviewed you, you told us you were straight-up and straightforward and yet you couldn't even give us the grown-up courtesy of a phone call. The business is wildly busy again, and on John's first day back he was juggling everything, and had to try to scramble to cover for YOU too. Of course it was EASIER for you not to call. But as a Christian, you do the RIGHT thing, not the easy one.

You're a Christian of convenience only. You need to re-examine your life. I still have not received your address to send you that check.

-Saur


The next reply she sent contained her address only. She'd read the note, but couldn't reply to it.

I can hear other Faux Christians whine "You're judging her! Judge not lest you be judged!" Nice try. I recommend reading your scriptures, and get back to me on that. Try reading both Matthew 7:1 and 7:2: "Do not judge lest you be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you."

As one theologian writes, "This does not mean that one is never, in any sense or to any extent, to judge another, for v. 5 indicates that when one's own life is pure he should "take the speck out" of the brother's eye. It does mean, however, that a follower of Christ is not to be censorious." -Charles Ryrie.

Also, in other areas of the Bible, true Christians are commanded to sort out the false ones. Kinda hard to do, when you're not allowed to make any judgements!

If we don't sort out our own Faux Christians, who else will? We need to begin calling out people for their actions, if it reflects badly on us. Please don't bother saying that *I* am not perfect. Well, duh! as a young friend of mine would say. But as I said earlier, the difference is that when a true Christian messes up, she tries to make it right again.

I had just finished telling my staff that another Faux Christian wasn't the real deal (she had quit, threatening another one of my employees with bodily harm). She knew the Bible as well as a Buddhist would, and I wished she'd claimed to be any other religion. Now I have to do damage control once more.

P.S. I republished this blog, and lost some comments. My apologies.

32 comments:

Kristie said...

I can tell you that i mostly deal with Faux Christians. And that those dealings are exactly what continue to push me farther and farther away from the church. I would rather describe myself as spiritual, and i am happy with that now. But i was bitter about it for a very long time.

I am a waitress (while back in college again) and I work on Sunday mornings. Shortly after we open at 11, we begin to get all the church crowds. You have never seen a bigger gathering of Faux Christians. Not only do we see it in the way they treat us, as their servers, but from what we know of them from around the community. There is a big difference between church attendance and true christian devotion.

I usually find it is these Faux Christians who are most likely to preach to me about all the evils and sins I am committing in my life, and how i will not be going to heaven like they are, and blah blah blah. I have old ladies shake their head at me in disappointment when they find i have a son with a man i have lived with for 6 1/2 years, but we arent married, nor do we plan to. I am going to hell they say. Maybe its my town, but i see this ALL the time. I have learned to smile and nod and ignore it for the most part, but THis post spoke many truths to me. Good job. Maybe when i have the time between parenting, home-making, school and work, i will do a good post on that on my site, you have inspired me.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Kristied, I am so delighted that you spoke out in here. You are correct; these are the people that often 'sin in secret but preach in public'.

I truthfully see nothing wrong with living with someone, as long as it's the same commitment as marriage is. Simply because the state doesn't acknowlege that you went to them and paid a fine to be called married, doesn't make you a wanton woman.

And some people have to work on Sundays to keep their families going. I think the modern Faux Christian is nothing more than the Pharisees that Jesus preached against.

Whistle Britches said...

Good post. I will read more thouroughly and comment later...

mal said...

I am troubled by quotes from the bible being used to justify minutae. The book has been rescribed and translated countless times. I think there is something to the expression "Lost in translation" when it applies to biblical arguements.

I will attest that I can best be described as an agnostic. It does not mean I have am not spiritual, I am just not a "certified" Christian. Our parents strove not to raise us hypocrits as regards our faith.

The OH is VERY Catholic and both our daughters were raised Catholic. Both honestly profess the faith and I am happy for them having a spiritual base to their lives.

Dad once told me that he thought the greatest sins were Hypocrisy and Hubris. I think he is right.

Ellen said...

Bravo for another excellant post!

I had always considered myself as agnostic; I do believe in a higher power... just not the diety from catacism classes of my youth. Some of the stories we had to follow did not seem to add up... and besides, I had friends who were from other religions, and believed in a "different" God. I would always ask myself: what made my "God" better than theirs?

To find out afterwards that there was much hypocrisy in these teachings and the Catholic religion itself, made me ill... especially after the scandels of the pedophile priests.

So I'm like Kristied, more of a spiritual person, and much less of a chest-beater. We have all made mistakes, and as humans, we all will continue to make mistakes. It's the level of these mistakes and how you account for them that makes all the difference for me.

I will continue to say prayers for people who are in dire need.. but never the Hail Marys of my youth.
They deserve the sortings and hopes of my compassion as they are my fellow man... but never the preachings of religion that binds them into a pidgeonhole.

I am equally disguisted with the Christians who feel it is their mission in life to convert me. I believe I am old and wise enough to find my own path in life by keeping a high moral ground for myself and being a productive person of society. Anyone else can do what they want to believe, as long as it doesn't impede, injure or destroy in it's path... for then I will take a stand.

Notsocranky Yankee said...

Great post! I saw many faux Christians when we lived in the south (Charleston SC, and Atlanta) and it was a refreshing change when we moved back to my small hometown in NH. Up here I only know the religious affiliation of one family, our next door neighbors. But most people here do not push their religion on anybody, much less even mention it.

My 3 older sisters and I were raised Catholic by my mother while my father was not religious. He had some medical problems that eventually took his life when he was only 57. My mother wanted him to go to church, but he always maintained "If I didn't go to church when I was healthy, I'm not going to go when I'm sick" He was an incredible man and wonderful father who showed me that you can be generous and compassionate without relying on religion. He was just a good man.

My husband and I are raising our kids without religion. We are emphasizing honesty, integrity, and kindness to others -- something you can teach without attending church. If they want to go to church when they grow up, they may, for it will be their choice, not just a habit from childhood.

I think some people need religion in their lives, which is fine. Just don't push it on me or judge me for my opinion.

Fred said...

I gave up going to church temporarily because of many of the things you cited. My children are now involved in Younglife, which is a Christian-based youth organization. We help out wherever possible. They do very good work, all outside of a church, and the kids love it.

Eddo said...

Right, Right, Right On!

You and I Saur are almost always on the same page. I call them like I see them.

I don't like sugary in-your-face Christians, I like real people who struggle with real issues and don't try to hide the fact that they are human behind a Christian facade.

There was nothing on this post that I didn't agree with 100%. I don't go around talking about God and Jesus all day because I realize how imperfect I am, but I do strive to be like Christ.

I wish more Christians would just allow their actions to speak louder than their words.

Whistle Britches said...

I don't believe there's enough room here to post my thoughts so I will keep my mouth shut.

Jessica said...

How do you know whether or not someone is Christian when you hire them? Please tell me you don't ask.

TLP said...

I was born into a fundamentalist Christian home. I believed only briefly. I am now an atheist and a Unitarian. I go to church every Sunday because I believe in doing good works and I enjoy the ideas at church.

There are people in any and every religion that witness falsely. You can't carry the burden of all who claim to be Christian. Do you feel the need to this for every female? Every white person? Every business owner? Of course not.

I believe that a hypocrite is defined as a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he or she does not actually hold in order to conceal his or her real feelings or motives. We don't know that these people who call themselves Christian don't believe. All we know is that we feel that they don't follow what they preach.

AQ said...

I couldn't agree more! Only part I'd wrestle with would be that attending a church is supposed to provide you with the fellowship that we are supposed to have with one another. However, I can understand your position. I've been in a few different churches and finally settled in a small one where the pastor isn't perfect and he doesn't pretend to be. But he does make a very honest effort to be as Christ-like as humanly possible.

Lila said...

Hey, I like the new blog look!

Interesting post. Well written.

There are so many faux Christians because, well, it's awfully hard to be a "real" Christian.

Jesus said the two most important things are to love God with all your heart and soul, and to love your neighbor as yourself. To me, if someone sincerely TRIES to do this, they are a real Christian. That's just my own way of thinking about it. And no one can do these two things perfectly, so mercy and compassionate judgment are a good rule of thumb for us all!

Lee Ann said...

Saur, very good post as all of yours are. I completely understand what you are saying, and experienced that in my life as well.
I really wonder why people have to try to be something they are not.

Anonymous said...

I love every single word of this post. You've said very well what I sometimes feel in dealing with professed Christians. The way some people flaunt their Christianity sometimes makes me uncomfortable because too often it seems insincere. I think true Christianity takes a lot of self-examination. Like Eddo, I believe that true Christians let their actions speak louder than their words. Those are the people I identify with and look to as roles models for how to live my own faith.

Kristie said...

another thought...ever notice that the people who are always trying to save your soul and keep you from going to hell are the ones who most fervently believe they arent?

Michael K. Althouse said...

Dear Saur,

In the roundabout world of blog-surfing, I ran across your blog a few days ago. I find you both well written and informed and would have introduced myself by way feedback earlier, but… well, there are only so many hours in the day. Today, however, I chose to make the time because this entry is that good.

First, I’ll qualify myself. I am absolutely agnostic and a recovering atheist. My agnosticism, however, stems not from lack of those “other” religions you identified, but rather from any organized religion. I have a deep spiritual belief system and am not necessarily anti-religion. That said, I do believe that we share a number of beliefs, some of which you so eloquently enumerated in your post.

First, I would like to validate your assessment of “faux” Christians and the impression they make about all Christians. I was one who thought of all Christians in the same light – and that light was of the highly visible hypocrite. Although this attitude was applied to pretty much all religions, the overwhelming majority of evidence (at least until recently with the Muslim “extremists”) came from Christians. I had no use for this hypocrisy and consequently, no use for God. This outlook damned near killed me, but that’s another story.

Secondly, I have a huge problem with anyone whose walk doesn’t backup his or her talk. It is easy to talk a good show – living up to it - not so much. My belief directs me to live by many, if not all of the tenants of the world’s many religions. It boils down to doing what’s right. Knowing the right thing doesn’t take a great deal of intellect. I firmly believe that we are all born with a “God consciousness” that tells us right from wrong. In retrospect, I can see this in myself even when I didn’t believe in anything spiritual. Doing what’s right, however, is a much different story. One only needs to look at the current congressional scandals to see where those claiming to be pious are doing very un-spiritual things.

Which brings me to the third point: Although we all fall short of perfection, denying that we have done anything wrong makes these indiscretions monumentally worse. Self-preservation is, in most cases, akin to self-centeredness and I’ll have no part of it. Furthermore, there is a difference between making a mistake and a premeditated transgression. It is not, nor has it ever been ok to justify bad behavior by intending to make up for it later. Amends should not be the final step of a plan of action; they should only be necessary when addressing an HONEST mistake.

Lastly, I am not sure I know the difference between judgment and assessment. It would be nice to live in a world where everyone could be counted on to do his or her level best to do what’s right. Unfortunately, this is not the world we live in. Although it may not be naïve to believe there are no bad people, it is stupid not to understand that there are those who behave badly. In order to protect oneself, one needs to make observations and act accordingly. Additionally, I don’t mind being judged – I have nothing to hide.

Finally, I’d like to say that it is people like you that have helped show me not to paint all those that subscribe to a particular religion (Christian or otherwise) with the same brush. In fact it is becoming apparent that the hypocrites are among the minority, albeit a very vocal one. It is clear that there are more people living quiet, spiritual lives than there are those preaching what we should be doing. Thank you for representing your faith and your opinion respectfully and intelligenty.

Mike

Saur♥Kraut said...

Wow! Some really interesting responses.

Mike, Thank you so much for your well-thought through post. You took a lot of time with it. Self-preservation is, in most cases, akin to self-centeredness . This is an excellent point! I understand where you're coming from with the agnosticism. At one time too, I went through what you are. I still question, but have more certainty than I did.

KristieD, very true. And I don't know if it's true faith or blind ignorance.

Monique, thank you so very much! Eddo and I usually see eye-2-eye on everything, BTW. Funny, isn't it, how you run across people on the internet that are so very much like you, but you can't find anywhere near you (physically)?

Lee Ann, the pressure of expectations, perhaps. But I've always felt that usually the expectations are for the person to not be perfect but simply honest.

Aral, I think that's an excellent summary and rule of thumb. There are additional things you have to do as well, but if you stick to those precepts, you almost have it covered.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Always Questioning, I understand you, but as to assembling every Sunday in an expensive building with a bunch of relative strangers that you have little interaction with: is that really fellowship? Or is it ritualistic behavior which is done to make other Christians feel that you really are one of them? That's why if I do anything in a group, I prefer more intimate Bible studies or prayer groups. I don't do those either, though, because I'm really tired of the people that use "prayer requests" as an excuse to gossip.

TLP, I know your beliefs, and they fascinate me. Because *I* don't go to church and I'm not an atheist. I've never really 'got it', but you're a wonderful person and you're happy doing it, so by all means, do it! Perhaps I'd go with you if you lived locally.

Jessica, well of course I ask! Every one of them has to be a Christian Fundie and my favorite two interview questions are "If you were to die today, where would you end up?" and "What church do you go to?" Kidding. Of course I don't ask. I don't think you've been reading my blog very well or you would know that. I don't give a rat's ass what religion anyone is. My former assistant was a buddhist who believed in space aliens. But welcome aboard!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Uncle Joe, hmmm, now that sounds intriguing.

Eddo, as usual, we see eye-2-eye! ;o) I thought we might, because you have a lot of common sense and have been in the Christian world for your entire life, as I have.

Fred, a good group! And when there's interaction and positive things coming from such a group, it's a wonderful option for teens. It's something that I will need to start encouraging my son to get involved with soon.

Not So Cranky Yankee, thanks for sharing that! I'm sorry about the loss of your father. One thing that I am at constant battle with myself about is the kids. Raising them with NO religion may be doing them a disservice, too. After all, we don't start educating them in school at 18! I had been able to take a backseat to this, since my ex is a Christian fundie and I felt that my son was exposed to more than enough, so I provided the balance by not going. But now I've decided to start dragging him to a bigger church on Sundays so that he can start meeting some decent kids. I'm not looking forward to it, truthfully, but consider it a sacrifice I have to make for him.

Saur♥Kraut said...

FTS, exactly! Beautifully said. As usual, you and I are 100% in agreement.

Ellen, I understand you completely. And I think that Catholicism is one of the religions that creates more agnostics or atheists than anything else, because (IMHO) most of it is ritual with very little substance or reason behind it. I know some Catholics that have told me honestly that they prefer this, because they don't have to think(???)

Mallory, Dad once told me that he thought the greatest sins were Hypocrisy and Hubris. I think he is right. Your dad was a very wise man, I believe.

Jef, Where is the thinking Christian? I don't know, maybe I haven't done my job of making enough of them. Yes! But we also need to ask, where is the thinking person these days? Intellectualism is hardly prized anymore. And there are often what I call "psuedo-intellectuals" who love using big words and discussing concepts, when they have none of their own and never take any of it to heart.

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

You forgot 'Emergency Christians'

When their life is under threat or mother is dying Jesus suddenly becomes their best mate.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Daniel, oh excellent point. Dead-on.

Michael K. Althouse said...

Ah, yes... the 911 prayer. "God, if you get me out of this, I'll never do it again."

Saur♥Kraut said...

Mike, ;o) Precisely.

AQ said...

Agreed on the ritualistic behavior and the lack of interaction being unnecessary. There are churches that do foster real fellowship though. And small groups are definitely better if you can find a leader who will not allow gossip to infiltrate. There are many reasons I think attending a church is important, but I do see your view as well. One reason (of many) that I attend church very regularly is to be an example to other Christians at that church.

Notsocranky Yankee said...

Thank you Daniel for putting a name on how my father felt about religion. He refused to be an Emergency Christian and I think that was cool.

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

It is very cool not to be an Emergency Christian.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

I am so late in this comment that it may never be seen, but, here goes. Your post made me a bit sad, because I fear that I may be one of those you speak about. On Sunday morning, if I am not in church you may be sure that I am sick, or otherwise messed up so that I couldn't go. I feel truly pained all week in I don't make it to church on Sunday. This is true even though, at my age (see the old man make excuses) I rarely make it through a meeting without dozing. (A few years ago, I spent eleven years traveling to other congregations, speaking, and helping them to organize matters. I sensed at that time a danger of dozing so I carried a planner, and took notes of all the sermons- I would not have liked to have folks see me doze while up behind the pulpit).
With all that, I aint perfect. I am not anywhere near as faithful in all things as I would like to be. I just carry my faith in the Christ as close to me as I can and keep on pluggin'. I'm sure that I do things every day that are not Christlike. In that sense, I probably qualify as a faux Christian (Members of many other faiths deny that Mormons are any kind of Christian, so being called a faux Christian doesn't bother me.
An old Penacostal preacher who was a good friend used to say that a church was not a museum for perfect people but a hospital for healing sinners. I'll buy that.

Some Random Girl said...

Well written...well thought out....and I like the way you hit the nail on the head!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Jules, thanks so much, hon. Glad you liked it!

3 Score & 10, no! I don't think you qualify. The Faux christians are the hypocrites of the group. Unless I'm mistaken, you've always been forthright, and you try to do your best. When you don't, you're honest. You don't qualify. ;o)

Tyson said...

wow, i thought you were being too harsh until i actually read about "jill." what a phony!

btw, i agree honesty is always the best policy. especially on the net, no one's going to even bother listening if you're not being true.