Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Hottentots & Spaetzle

I threw some people yesterday with my post mentioning spaetzle and Hottentots. Note: Hottentots don't eat spaetzle.

Hottentot: I understand now that this word is considered 'derogatory' by some, because it is a generalized term for wild savage. I wonder when cannibal will become a derogatory word, only to be replaced by something politically correct such as "Indigenous People Who Prefer Eating People: (IPWPEP)". Anyway, I apologize to all Hottentots, who apparently like being called Khoikhoi now (which sounds like a type of fish). In another 100 years, Khoikhoi will become politically incorrect.

...But I wonder: has anyone gone out and surveyed the Hottentots to see if they're truly offended? Or is this merely offensive to the fawning anthropologists who study them? Incidentally, some day anthropologists will wish to rename themselves, too. I suggest "Non-Indigenous People Who Prefer Studying Hottentots: (NIPWPSH)".

Spaetzle: a.k.a. Spetzle. "spaetzle is a dish of tiny noodles or dumplings made with flour, eggs, water or milk, salt and sometimes nutmeg." Personally, I don't know who would put nutmeg in spaetzle. Only a Hottentot Khoikhoi would do that.

Spaetzle is actually a germanic dish. It's used as a rice or potato substitute. (Some of you may be surprised to discover that I'm not German with a name like Saurkraut. But I grew up with all sorts of cultures and have developed a great fondness for different foods.)

My Way To Prepare Spaetzle: toss fresh spaetzle in a skillet with melted butter and saute it. Trust me, it's heavenly. If you can't find some, the link will take you to a spaetzle-worshipping site where you can learn to make it.

21 comments:

Live, Love, Laugh said...

I will have to try this, is sounds wonderful, as far as the native, his skin looks plastic, kind of like burnt to a crisp.

michelle said...

I volunteer to be the offend-o-meter. You did not offend me, therefore you did not offend.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Live, Love, Laugh, you will really enjoy it. And just like rice, some people serve foods with sauces over it; so there are a lotta possibilities.

Michelle, up early? The little man get you up? What are you guys doing today?

Jenn said...

That sounds like dumplings, or matzo. I had some chicken and dumplings at the Cracker Barrel that looked like that.

Anonymous said...

*laughing* You made my day! That is so funny. I am a spaetzle lover. Yum, yum. Oh, I do use a 'hint' of nutmeg in mine. Go lightly, but it is really nice and traditional to the dish.

I have long since given up trying to being politically correct. You are right it is a moving target . . . you never know from one day to the next. Heck, I would be happy if we could just see a little civility.

Michael K. Althouse said...

Hottentot...hottentot.....hottentot. Dammit! Why do all the coolest, best sounding words have to get labled "politically incorrect." Why can' it be stupid, boring words like "indiginous." Hottentot is fun to say. I wanna be one!

Mike

Suzy-Q said...

I am on the hunt for spaetzle and help Joe on his quest for culinary greatness. He can culinate it with secret ingredients and be famous.

EAT AT JOES....BEST SPAETZLE IN TOWN!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Aunt Josefina, you will be richly rewarded in your quest. Oooh, I could write chinese fortune cookie fortunes!

Mike, I will have to remain politically incorrect. You're right, it's irresistable!

Kathleen, nutmeg??? You are a Hottentot!!!

Jenn, Cracker Barrel has good dumplings, but these are even better!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

The Hottentots' neighbors are called Bushmen. Also soon to be a pejorative.

High Power Rocketry said...

That guy has a huge unit.

Bathroom

Saur♥Kraut said...

Alex, penis sheaths are a fashion item there, it seems. Kinda like Prada.

Old Hoss, yeah, now try to do a google image search for the term bushwomen and you'll get an eyeful...

Fred said...

If it's not meat and potatoes, I usually will turn my nose up at it. I'm a snob like that.

Dave said...

I use to eat with the Hare Krishnas in the Plaza of the Americas. So I eat about anything. I also use to shower with a lot of black Dudes, I always felt short changed.

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I have a master's degree in Anthropology and remember the Hottentots of Africa clearly.


That dish looks yummy!

Ellen said...

A long time ago I used to have a boyfriend who was German, and his Mother was from the old country. She could make the most wonderful meals,including spaetzle, and I came to embrace my own ancestry in a culinary way. My Mother was Italian... so needless to say, we ate a lot of pasta growing up... and almost nothing "german".

Thanks for the picture and ingredients... now my mouth is watering for some!

michelle said...

I woke up first today Suar. Can you believe that? Sorry I did not get back to you my sister is re-doing her bathroom and I am trying to finish the kitchen. We went out tile shopping.

Lila said...

Mmmm.... spaetzle! I like it!

Whistle Britches said...

Thanks for clarifying the word hottentot. seems I remember Bloom County talking about them all the time.

I'll have a pretzel with my spaetzle while driving in my edsel. thank you.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Yum, Spaetzle are wonderful. Thanks for the reminder ... think I'll go make myself some. MMmmmmm.

Jessica said...

We do a dash or two of nutmeg not in spetzle but in our family's version of mac 'n cheese. Doesn't taste sweet, just brings out a different mix of flavors.

Brats and spetzle is a good start; saurkraut or red cabbage would make it perfect. (I'm guessing you already know this.)

The Zombieslayer said...

I think Hottentot wasn't necessarily offensive, but just wrong in context. it was a blanket term that referred to several tribes that whites originally thought to be the same tribe, but they were mistaken. to non-anthropologists, they appear similar, both being very short, nomadic, hunter gatherers who were much different than other sub-Saharan tribes.

Of course, I'm repeating this from memory, so if it's full of mistakes, blame my C.R.S.