Pages

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Lana

I met Lana many years ago, when The Suncoast Resort became one of my organization's clients. For those of you who don't know this, it's advertised as the world's biggest gay resort and it's located in St. Petersburg, a neighboring town.

Due to my attempt to keep my friends and clients confidential, I need to add that the resort is no longer a client of mine (and there's no way of knowing which organization I represented at the time). Additionally, Lana moved to another state some time ago.

Lana called the other night to chat. She knows I'm a quasi-retired counselor and she wanted some objective advice. I've decided to share her story because it has a great deal in common with so many relationships, whether they're gay or straight.

Lana was in a steady relationship for over 10 years, but as with so many relationships, eventually little was left but friendship. So she struck out again, in pursuit of the Ideal Mate. She met Kim online and they began a relationship which ended in Kim's moving to the same town so that they could see each other more regularly.

Kim is in her mid thirties. Although she seemed initially perfect (who doesn't, at the beginning?) Lana is seeing red flags everywhere. "Am I nuts?" she asked. "What do you think?"

Kim is not able to be self-supportive. Her cousin has provided her with the rent for the house she's currently living in. No one else in her family wants to have much to do with her. Her ex-girlfriend claims that Kim robbed her blind when she left. And Kim is prone to wild mood swings and great insecurities. When Lana takes her anywhere, Lana is left footing the bill. Kim never offers to pay. "It's like I'm the Rich Boyfriend," complained Lana. "Am I being taken advantage of?"

Since I wasn't in professional mode, I was able to offer my opinion. "Yes!" I said. "I think you are." I also pointed out that if there was theft involved in the former relationship, there is something ugly which lies beneath the surface. That, combined with the mood swings, made me wonder if drugs were involved. But even if there weren't drugs in the equation, we are left with a selfish, needy individual who may simply be after Lana as a substitute mom.

What struck me is how universal these problems are. I have a straight friend who is going through the same situation. She finally asked her Boy Toy to step out of her life, once it was apparent that this was all he was.

In a world where there are so many people willing to drain you dry and use you up, how can you evaluate which ones are safe? The answer is, use caution. Examine everything. Never hesitate to ask questions. And, if worse comes to worst, there are always private detectives. I wish that *I* had hired one during my last relationship. But, most important of all, follow your gut instinct. Too many of us are willing to ignore the little red flags until we can make a quilt out of them.

10 comments:

Deb said...

If you’re speaking of someone who constantly weeps at the sound of ‘questioning’, then how can you even ask them anything? Fear is major factor when dealing with someone with insecurities who fly off the handle at each assumption or question you pose to them. Though you may love this person with all your heart, the emotional drainage of the relationship is eventually going to take its toll. I think I come to realize this in a past relationship and I can already see red flags in others when opportunity arises for my close friends. However, I will say this… is it anybody’s business to ask? What if the person makes you feel bad about asking them? As if, “You don’t know me well enough to ask such a question! How can you think of me like that?” (That type of response is the one that many fear…)

It’s all about approaching the situation with caution. How would you approach this yourself? Would you be straight up and honest and let them know that this is NO MORE? Or would you just simply beat around the bush about your concerns? (If you were in Lena’s shoes of course…)

mckay said...

excellent observations and advice. everyone has a motive for being in a particular relationship. the key is to find out if their motives are healthy, uplifting, edifying, nurturing....or selfish, controlling, deceptive, etc.

dang, i'm really good at this when NOT in a relationship ;-)

michelle said...

Ok, maybe it is me, but if the girl saw the redflags herself why did she have to ask you?

Ellen said...

You don't see the red flags as problems when you are smack dab in the middle of it. It's only after you start to add them up that you realize you've been taken. And if you have to take the time to add them up, it should be your first clue.

It's the classic fight between the heart and head making a sound decision. Sometimes we are lucky and can spot the red flags right away... sometimes we are just plain color-blind, and it takes more time. Hopefully we aren't taken for all we have before we figure it out.

The Lazy Iguana said...

The whole "you pay for everything" thing gets old fast. I tend to say stuff like "hey, want to see this movie?". In this statement it is implied that I pay for the deal, and there are no other strings attached.

But it is nice if the other person offers something. Like for example the popcorn. Or offers to pay for the tip after dinner. Or even the toll. Whatever. Chances are I will try to not take the money because the original deal was not "lets go to a movie IF you pay for the gas", but still.

By the way, once I went out with someone who I decided to test. I asked if she had a buck for an expressway toll. She did not. So I pretended to root through my change thing and only be able to find fifty cents. So I asked if she had a quarter to make the seventy five cent toll. Again - no go.

Then I "found" my sunpass thing, at the last minute. Not that I judge people by if they have a quarter or not, but I was still a little put off my this.

Fred said...

I wish you were around when I was dating, Saur. I think you could have helped me. Thank goodness I found The Missus.

Dave said...

Saur,

Red in the morning sailors take warning red at night sailors delight. It all depends on when you see red. My Aunt Flo taught me that one.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Just dropping by to say HI, and sorry I haven't been by in awhile.
Hope you are having a great week.
Take care, Meow

Eddo said...

That last line was classic and so true.

Romeo Morningwood said...

Excellent red flag quilt equation.
The guilt quilt. You reap what you sew.

C'mon, we all try to believe the best in people and unfortunately some of those people are absolutely amazing at deception. We all get fooled once and a while so we adapt and apply a healthy dose of skepticism along the way.

Don't toss OUT your INtuition. If it is too good to be true...99 times out of 100 it IS too good to be true.