Pages

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Ozma's Health Complications

Ozma was admitted to the hospital this week, with heart palpitations, fatigue, backache and headache. It turned out that she needed a blood transfusion. This Thursday I'm taking her for exploratory surgery. They want to see what's going on (I suspect it may be an ovarian cyst).

Last night she called me because she was bleeding profusely again. I told her to get to the hospital. She called the hospital, instead. They told her "we don't handle that sort of thing. You need to call your gynecologist." I pointed out that there will be a lot of women in labor who will be quite disappointed to hear this.

Of course the hospital closest to her is a substandard hospital (Edward White) and I assume their idea of quality medical care is an x-ray. They didn't even put her through an MRI when they discovered the blood loss (with no identifiable source for the loss). An upper GI revealed nothing.

She finally reached her gynecologist, who told her that she needed to have bedrest for the entire weekend. We are all on tenterhooks until we get this solved.

11 comments:

mal said...

oh my...we will keep her in our thoughts

mckay said...

thaoughts and prayers...

TLP said...

Oh, my. That's sad. Hope all turns around to be better SOON.

Miss Cellania said...

Will say prayers. Give us an update as soon as you can.

Deb said...

Saur,

My girlfriend went through this sort of thing. She was bleeding so much that we thought she was hemorrhaging. We took her to the doctor and they said she had anemia---on the borderline of sickle cell due to the loss of blood. They didn't know how she was standing up on her own.

They gave her an upper gi series which showed nothing at all. They looked everywhere even gave her a colonoscopy and nada. Then to the gyno, and found that her uterus was enlarged with fibroids and polyps. She had surgery to remove them, it took a few hours and she was out in the same day. They gave her iron pills and put her on birth control. Her options were to remove her uterus, or just the fibroids for now. She doesn't want to get rid of her bread basket so soon just yet.

This may be what Ozma has---or may not. But I wanted to share that story to you just in case the doctor doesn't "look" into it too well. Some doctors overlook certain things.

I hope things are okay. My thoughts are with you!

michelle said...

Ed White does not have an MRI mahcine. Was it Ozma's doctor that saw her when she was in the hosptial the last time? If not she should have made and appt with her doctor immediately. Also, calling a hospital will do no one any good they cannot give medical advice over the phone, she has to just walk into the ER.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

I'll bet if she wanted a permit to build something the government would have been all over it.

Beaver said...

Scary. You are a good friend.

I'm sure that with your support, Ozma will *undoubtedly* live this as well as possible during the circumstances.

Positive thoughts and stuff,

Beav'

The Lazy Iguana said...

I think it is criminal for a hospital to say "we do not handle stuff like that".

dddragon said...

Someone is bleeding profusely and a medical facility tells her that they "don't handle that sort of thing"?!?

Good grief!

I hope that everything works out okay.

United We Lay said...

She's in our thoguhts! That's kind of scary considering that I'm abotu 7 months pregnant. I was sent to the hospital this week for dehydration, but my OB called first. Apparently pregnant women must drink 2 gallons of water a day during the summer. Exactly what does the hospital handle?